Agree Agree:  9
Likes Likes:  21
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Unhappy Craig Hickman was burned in an accident.

Winthrop legislator recovering from severe burns makes appearance at island event

Rep. Craig Hickman, D-Winthrop, was in good spirits Thursday, wearing gauze bandages and with visible wounds resulting from a fire accident at his farm.

BY CHARLES EICHACKER STAFF WRITER AND BEN MCCANNA

PHIPPSBURG — A Winthrop state lawmaker who was badly burned in a brush fire accident this week made a public appearance Thursday mere hours after being discharged from a hospital.
    Rep. Craig Hickman, D-Winthrop, was in good spirits, despite wearing gauze bandages on his hands and chest and having visible wounds on his face from severe burns he suffered Tuesday while lighting a fire at his organic farm.

State Rep. Craig Hickman, D-Winthrop, appears at an event Thursday, just hours after being discharged from the hospital. Hickman was seriously burned Tuesday while lighting a brush fire at his organic farm in Winthrop. Staff photo by Ben McCanna

“I feel great,” Hickman said. “I feel spiritually fulfilled.”
    On Thursday, Hickman was on Malaga Island, the former site of an African-American and mixed-race settlement, to serve as emcee for Re.Past.Malaga. About 40 people attended the event, which commemorated the eviction of the islanders in July 1912and re-created the past with a communal meal made with ingredients that would have been available to the Malaga people.
    Hickman, 50, who wore a long, flowing black robe to the Malaga event, made only a veiled reference to his injuries during his opening remarks. He recalled his response to being asked several months ago to emcee the event.
    “The only way I’m going to miss this is if I’m dead,” he said to laughter from the audience.
    Hickman said he was in good spirits because of the Malaga event and from the responses he’d received from friends and colleagues after the accident.
    “The outpouring of love, support and encouragement has been pleasantly overwhelming,” he said.
    He planned to return to his farm on Annabessacook Road in the evening.
    On Tuesday, Hickman was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland after investigators say that he tried to light a brush pile on fire using gasoline, causing the gas vapors to explode. The accident left Hickman with second-degree burns on his torso, right arm and thighs. His husband, Jop Blom, has said that he’ll make a full recovery.
    Hickman declined to discuss the accident while at the Malaga Island event. “It’s history,” he said. “We move forward from here.”
    On Thursday evening, Blom and Hickman were planning to return to their home, according to Sarah Fuller, a close friend of theirs who is also a Winthrop town councilor. They live on Annabessacook Farm, their organic farm and bed-and-breakfast.
    Dozens of people have volunteered to help on the farm while Hickman recovers, and more than a hundred have contributed to an online fundraiser for his business.
    Hickman represents Winthrop, Readfield and part of Monmouth. He’s devoted much energy to fighting hunger in Maine, and after the accident, he received public messages of support from people across the political spectrum, including Gov. Paul LePage.
    On the farm, Hickman plans to assess what tasks need to be completed and put together a sign-up list for volunteers, said Fuller, who also serves as chairwoman of the Winthrop Town Council. At this point in the season, they will need help watering, weeding and harvesting the farm’s produce.
    Updates will be shared on the farm’s Facebook page, Fuller said. She also urged people to support Hickman by purchasing eggs, greens and other products from a stand that was built last year at Hickman’s farm on 192 Annabessacook Road.
    Hickman and Blom did not respond to requests for an interview on Thursday. However, in a Facebook post on Wednesday evening, they reiterated their gratitude for many things.
    “We are so blessed,” Blom wrote in the post. “Blessed that Craig’s injuries are not as bad as they could have been. Blessed that he is comfortable and in great spirits. Blessed by the expectation of a full recovery. Blessed by the outpouring of love, support, thoughts and prayers. Blessed to be uplifted by our community near and far. Blessed by the hope that he might return to Annabessacook Farm tomorrow.”

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/07...-island-event/
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Re: Craig Hickman was burned in an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Winthrop legislator recovering from severe burns makes appearance at island event

Rep. Craig Hickman, D-Winthrop, was in good spirits Thursday, wearing gauze bandages and with visible wounds resulting from a fire accident at his farm.

BY CHARLES EICHACKER STAFF WRITER AND BEN MCCANNA

PHIPPSBURG — A Winthrop state lawmaker who was badly burned in a brush fire accident this week made a public appearance Thursday mere hours after being discharged from a hospital.
    Rep. Craig Hickman, D-Winthrop, was in good spirits, despite wearing gauze bandages on his hands and chest and having visible wounds on his face from severe burns he suffered Tuesday while lighting a fire at his organic farm.

State Rep. Craig Hickman, D-Winthrop, appears at an event Thursday, just hours after being discharged from the hospital. Hickman was seriously burned Tuesday while lighting a brush fire at his organic farm in Winthrop. Staff photo by Ben McCanna

“I feel great,” Hickman said. “I feel spiritually fulfilled.”
    On Thursday, Hickman was on Malaga Island, the former site of an African-American and mixed-race settlement, to serve as emcee for Re.Past.Malaga. About 40 people attended the event, which commemorated the eviction of the islanders in July 1912and re-created the past with a communal meal made with ingredients that would have been available to the Malaga people.
    Hickman, 50, who wore a long, flowing black robe to the Malaga event, made only a veiled reference to his injuries during his opening remarks. He recalled his response to being asked several months ago to emcee the event.
    “The only way I’m going to miss this is if I’m dead,” he said to laughter from the audience.
    Hickman said he was in good spirits because of the Malaga event and from the responses he’d received from friends and colleagues after the accident.
    “The outpouring of love, support and encouragement has been pleasantly overwhelming,” he said.
    He planned to return to his farm on Annabessacook Road in the evening.
    On Tuesday, Hickman was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland after investigators say that he tried to light a brush pile on fire using gasoline, causing the gas vapors to explode. The accident left Hickman with second-degree burns on his torso, right arm and thighs. His husband, Jop Blom, has said that he’ll make a full recovery.
    Hickman declined to discuss the accident while at the Malaga Island event. “It’s history,” he said. “We move forward from here.”
    On Thursday evening, Blom and Hickman were planning to return to their home, according to Sarah Fuller, a close friend of theirs who is also a Winthrop town councilor. They live on Annabessacook Farm, their organic farm and bed-and-breakfast.
    Dozens of people have volunteered to help on the farm while Hickman recovers, and more than a hundred have contributed to an online fundraiser for his business.
    Hickman represents Winthrop, Readfield and part of Monmouth. He’s devoted much energy to fighting hunger in Maine, and after the accident, he received public messages of support from people across the political spectrum, including Gov. Paul LePage.
    On the farm, Hickman plans to assess what tasks need to be completed and put together a sign-up list for volunteers, said Fuller, who also serves as chairwoman of the Winthrop Town Council. At this point in the season, they will need help watering, weeding and harvesting the farm’s produce.
    Updates will be shared on the farm’s Facebook page, Fuller said. She also urged people to support Hickman by purchasing eggs, greens and other products from a stand that was built last year at Hickman’s farm on 192 Annabessacook Road.
    Hickman and Blom did not respond to requests for an interview on Thursday. However, in a Facebook post on Wednesday evening, they reiterated their gratitude for many things.
    “We are so blessed,” Blom wrote in the post. “Blessed that Craig’s injuries are not as bad as they could have been. Blessed that he is comfortable and in great spirits. Blessed by the expectation of a full recovery. Blessed by the outpouring of love, support, thoughts and prayers. Blessed to be uplifted by our community near and far. Blessed by the hope that he might return to Annabessacook Farm tomorrow.”

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/07...-island-event/
    Thanks for posting this. What terrible news - well, the accident. His attitude is amazing. I havent seen Craig on the board for a long time. Hope he is well, burns notwithstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

OMG! As many of you know Craig and I go back a long way, starting at TOB and moving here at the same time. I was just talking about him with family members the other day! What a horrible accident. I'm glad he'll be fine.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Kirkus, Another big "thank you" for posting this. Craig, if you're still reading the boards: We are very proud of you. Obviously, we are so relieved that you are doing acceptably well after the burns. Good luck with the continued recovery and everything else that's going on.

Love, from me, and equally, I'm sure, from everyone else at TAT!!!!

GH

I seldom agreed with Craig's postings. I never did not read a single one of them.
    If anybody sees him, please send my best wishes. From his antagonistic Ponchi, who misses his comments here.
    Starry starry night

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I cannot believe this. But the most important thing is... he's still with us.
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

If you want to send a card, he lists his home address on his official government website:

192 Annabessacook Road
    Winthrop, ME 04364
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Oh my goodness! So scary! But so relieved he's going to be okay. If you see this, Craig, get well soon, buddy.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

So glad you're going to be all right, Craig. We miss you here at TAT, but we know you're doing important work.
    "A friend knows how to allow for mere quantity in your talk, and will only reply to the quality." William Dean Howells

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery, Craig.