Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  15
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: WSP 2018 Women's Picks and Results Thread

I was the lone Makarova picker. I really have trouble figuring out how I justified that. Like is mentioned above, my memories of her usual M.O. from too many slams has been: Beat someone you should have no chance against, and then lose 2 and 2 to a qualifier in the next round.

I watched the Makarova win over Woz. When I made the Makarova pick to beat Safarova, I was remembering how well she played against Woz, and also thinking that she would lose to Serena if she beat Safarova. Obviously, I'm still hoping for that to happen.

I think this pick merely represents blind luck on my part.....and since I so rarely have blind luck, I was overdue.

GH

And us Venus pickers are out too...
    Well, no problem, it is not bad if Venus lost.
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    And us Venus pickers are out too...
    Well, no problem, it is not bad if Venus lost.
    I wanted Venus to win, but I did not pick her, I was going to pick her against Pliskova, but that never happened so.

what a day!!

I really feel for the ones who lost with Keys today. I didn't pick her only because I wanted to save both her and Serena to have the winner of that match (which I would have seen as a toss-up) to use as a pick later.

GH

I wasn’t too confident in my Safarova pick but the others I considered lost as well so I would have been out regardless.
    My Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    Day 5 Pick summary
    We lost 3 people to NO PICK, leaving us with 111.
    Giorgi 13

First set of losses: 35 survivors, 71 losses.

has finally made his appearance
    Oh no! I picked Giorgi and it didn't post. I normally always double check that stuff too. That's a bummer, especially since it was the bloodiest day. Ah well! I'll just follow along and hope one of my pretend picks is wrong soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Oh no! I picked Giorgi and it didn't post. I normally always double check that stuff too. That's a bummer, especially since it was the bloodiest day. Ah well! I'll just follow along and hope one of my pretend picks is wrong soon.
    If you look at the choices for Saturday's matches, all of our picks will be wrong soon.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I was surprised not to see a pick from you. You are normally very good about things like that.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Day 6: We lost three more to No Pick. So, we are starting with 36.

Gavrilova 11
    Ostapenko 10
    Kontaveit 7
    Mertens 5
    Barty 1
    Kerber 1
    Van Utvanck 1

Eight matches and seven picks.

12 survivors and 24 losses. Percentage-wise, today is worse that yesterday.
    Last edited by dave g; 07-07-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Ostapenko's pickers are through too, but that 8 increased to 13 with the Mertens pickers. But the Mertens pickers had to know they were out on a very shaky limb today.

With Simona out, and for after Wimby:
    Is this one of the worst WTA's ever, or simply one of the best, with this parity?

And somebody said it yesterday: just hand the trophy to Serena. The question now is who will be the surprise runner up.
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    With Simona out, and for after Wimby:
    Is this one of the worst WTA's ever, or simply one of the best, with this parity?

And somebody said it yesterday: just hand the trophy to Serena. The question now is who will be the surprise runner up.
    Didn't mean to agree, I think Serena is the favorite, but by no means a given she'll win this with everything about her health since giving birth.

As for this year's Wimbledon, I don't think it's the worst, the quality of many of the play and matches has been good. And time will be a better measure than anything else on how big some of these upsets are, but I wouldn't put this above 1999 Wimbledon yet in terms of surprises, that's the year qualifier Alexandra Stevenson and Mirjana Lucic reached the semis and Dokic upset Hingis and Pierce on her way to the QFs and a host of other major upsets. There was also a little known qualifier named Kim Clijsters who did a bit of damage that year.

I wouldn't count Plisokova out just yet! I certainly think Serena has a real chance but she's still not at her best (and anyone who isn't impressed with her so far is really selling that beast of a mother short!). So I'm just not sure if Serena can beat Plisokova. But I definitely wouldn't bet against Serena!

Oh and a question - with only 12 of us left after the third round, is that the fewest number heading into the fourth round?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast