Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Weekend Warrior
    Blog Entries

Re: WSP 2018 Women's Picks and Results Thread

am so happy Bencic won, though I wouldnt have had the guts to pick her against Garcia.. next time, maybe..

WSP 2018 Women's Picks and Results Thread

Someone in the Day 3 womenís pick thread wondered why people were picking Venus so early. Answering here: I originally picked her because I thought the list of choices represented the draw and therefore Venus would play Woz next and was in Serenaís quarter! Wasnt thinking. The list of choices doesnt mirror the draw. Not sure why other people picked her but it might have something to do with her struggle in the first round. I changed my pick once I checked the draw. Her quarter is really soft. Big opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 07-03-2018 at 09:47 PM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Someone in the Day 3 women’s pick thread wondered why people were picking Venus so early. Answering here: I originally picked her because I thought the list of choices represented the draw and therefore Venus would play Woz next and was in Serena’s quarter! Wasnt thinking. The list of choices doesnt mirror the draw. Not sure why other people picked her but it might have something to do with her struggle in the first round. I changed my pick once I checked the draw. Her quarter is really soft. Big opportunity.

I was actually one of those deceived! No serious consequences for me so far, but I hope the list of choices can be matched to the draw in succeeding listings. (I messaged our pool master about this just now.)

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Buzarnescu has bagelled Swan in the first set. I was tempted to pick this as a NID, but I ALWAYS play to beat the draw in these things so Iíve gone for a riskier option. Which is why I never make it past the first few days I guess! My one medal came a few years ago at Wimbledon when Serena won but there were a quite a few of us that beat the draw that year so I guess there werenít that many upsets
    Last edited by liam_valid; 07-04-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Day 3 pick summary
    We lost 9 to no-pick, so we start with 126.

Buznareau 35
    Vekic 24
    Bertens 19
    Goerges 12
    V. Williams 9
    Siniakova 8
    Strycova 6
    Cirstea 3
    Giorgi 3
    Mladenovic 3
    Keys 1
    Petkovic 1
    Safarova 1

We did pretty good today: 97 through, 4 loses, and 14 Siniakova/Strycova pickers whose matches got delayed until tomorrow.
    Last edited by dave g; 07-04-2018 at 02:11 PM.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Buzarnescu has bagelled Swan in the first set. I was tempted to pick this as a NID, but I ALWAYS play to beat the draw in these things so Iíve gone for a riskier option. Which is why I never make it past the first few days I guess! My one medal came a few years ago at Wimbledon when Serena won but there were a quite a few of us that beat the draw that year so I guess there werenít that many upsets
    I should have stuck with Buzarnescu Cirstea about to lose to Rodina despite winning the first set 6-1

WSP 2018 Women's Picks and Results Thread

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    I should have stuck with Buzarnescu Cirstea about to lose to Rodina despite winning the first set 6-1
    Wow! I was double cheeked before I woke up. Yay freedom.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

After losing six people to 'no pick' and adding one error correction we now have 117 people with picks

Osaka 41
    Mertens 21
    Suarez Navarro 14
    Kontaveit 10
    Hsieh 9
    Barty 6
    Kerber 4
    Ostapenko 3
    Kasatkina 2
    Kenin 2
    Bencic 1
    Gavrilova 1
    Konta 1
    Sasnovich 1

We still have 14 Siniakova and Strycova pickers from Day 3 that need to survive two matches. (They have all survived Day 3)

At the end of the day, 113 survivors and 3 losers. That is a very good result.
    Last edited by dave g; 07-05-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Day 5 Pick summary
    We lost 3 people to NO PICK, leaving us with 111.

Keys 58
    Vekic 18
    Giorgi 13
    Safarova 6
    Pliskova 5
    V. Williams 5
    Goerges 2
    Strycova 2
    Makarova 1
    S. Williams 1

We have eight matches and ten picks.

First set of losses: 35 survivors, 71 losses.

has finally made his appearance
    Last edited by dave g; 07-06-2018 at 02:19 PM.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Keys is down a set to Rodina. It was Rodina that killed me so Iím hoping Madison turns it around

Oh No! Madison Keys has lost the first set and is down a break in the second set. We could get a visit from this guy:

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

A set and double break down now Rodina is playing steady, keys is a mess. Madisons only chance now is a Rodina choke

Keys comeback on. From 1-4 in the 2nd, Madison is now up 5-4.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

And Safarova out too. So today was Bloody Friday.
    I did not take Maddie because I really thought she would have a chance against Serena. Otherwise, she was the clear choice.
    Missing winter...

That's the same reason I did not take Keys.

First I was going to pick Vekic, then I backed off after looking at her results on grass this year. Then I was going to pick Giorgi, but I've never trusted her wildly erratic game, so I backed off. I ended up at Safarova because of her 4-1 head to head on Makarova and easy win at Wimbledon a few years ago and Makarova's tendency in the last two years to follow up big early-round upsets with clunkers, but I knew it was a shaky pick. Safarova looked like the better player for most of the first two sets, but she missed a huge opportunity to go up a break in the 2nd with a shanked return at 15-40 off a weak second serve. Makarova took control from there, and when she broke to win the set, the match was effectively over.

Giorgi, by the way, saved a match point in the 2nd set.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast