Agree Agree:  15
Likes Likes:  23
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: '18 RG Day 15 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    It's important to remember that Thiem was basically being asked to do an impossible thing. He's a tremendous player competing on his favorite surface, and he played a slew of spectacular points that he lost 99% because he was playing Nadal on clay. I went into the match with very low expectations for Thiem, and those low expectations had nothing to do with Dominic himself. It had everything to do with his opponent.
    Amen. He played pretty well, giving it was his first Slam final and against Nadal on clay. I wondered: Is that the worst circumstance for your first Slam final (because it would be hard to muster any belief), or the best (because zero expectations should quell the nerves)?
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    It was an interview on court, after the trophy presentation, I think.
    Nope. It was during the presentation ceremony. I was watching.
    I disapprove of this message

Rosewell was the person named to give the cup. They always ask an old champ to give the cup, with our FFT director Giudicelli. That's why he was aked to comment.
    ALLEZ LES BLEUS
    second Decima of the year !!

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Amen. He played pretty well, giving it was his first Slam final and against Nadal on clay. I wondered: Is that the worst circumstance for your first Slam final (because it would be hard to muster any belief), or the best (because zero expectations should quell the nerves)?
    Dominic seemed to have amazingly high expectations of himself. At his post-semi presser, he said he had a clear plan to beat Rafa and also that the pressure was all on Rafa, not on him (referring to loss in Madrid, etc). I guess it's all rosy until you're actually in the match and realise that the task was tougher than expected.
    I like a lot the crazy bounce

Quote Originally Posted by tolulops View Post
    Dominic seemed to have amazingly high expectations of himself. At his post-semi presser, he said he had a clear plan to beat Rafa and also that the pressure was all on Rafa, not on him (referring to loss in Madrid, etc). I guess it's all rosy until you're actually in the match and realise that the task was tougher than expected.
    He spent most of the match with his hands on his hips glaring across the net as returns whizzed by him.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

He played well enough in the first set, but was impatient and got too visibly frustrated when things didn't immediately go his way.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234