Agree Agree:  65
Likes Likes:  65
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

2018 World Cup 6/14 - 7/15

James Ellingworth

Verified account

@jellingworth
    More James Ellingworth Retweeted FAZ Sport
    German journalist @hajoseppelt, who played a key role in breaking the story of Russian doping in athletics, refused a visa to cover World Cup.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Re: 2018 World Cup 6/14 - 7/15

Russia is the starter. Wait for the shenanigans involved with Qatar 2022.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

There is never much interest around here in the World Cup. But with the US not qualified for it this year, I have not seen one mention of it in our news (TV or print). TAT is the only place I've even been reminded that it is happening. I think this will be a non-event for over 90% of Americans......and it is possibly the biggest sporting event in the world every 4 years. I wonder if even the Olympics get more coverage world-wide.

GH

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Always lots of interest in my part of the world...not surprising as we are very multi cultural around here (one of my university classes was less than 10% Canadian.) I'm excited that this year our family trip is late July instead of early...it always seems I'm away for WC or Euro finals then have to download and watch the matches a week later. I always cheer for the Dutch and Irish, so for the first time I can remember, not sure who to cheer for.

I always cheer for Brazil through good times and bad...
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I keep it simple. España.

Fortunately this World Cup will not be rigged. As in, Russia drew Saudi Arabia in its group and will play their first match against them... the day just after Ramadan has ended.
    Another utterly corrupt sham. Won't see one single match.
    Starry starry night

The Groupings. Thanks for pointing out that this has already been done. I really haven't been paying attention this year.

Group A: Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
    Group B: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
    Group C: France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
    Group D: Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
    Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
    Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, Korea Republic
    Group G: Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
    Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Fortunately this World Cup will not be rigged. As in, Russia drew Saudi Arabia in its group and will play their first match against them... the day just after Ramadan has ended.
    Another utterly corrupt sham. Won't see one single match.
    It grieves me that I think Ponchi is 100% right on this. And while the following is not proof, it is quite suspicious: Note that Russia is in BY FAR the easiest group. That is especially true if one considers their chances of being one of the top 2 in the group and progressing on. There are 2 teams in their group they should beat easily. And while Uruguay is solid, they are not one of the very top teams. Russia in ANY other group would have a far harder time progressing out of group play. The question for me is not "did they fix the draw?", but rather, "how did they get by with it this time?'

Of course, with my skating background, I am a firm believer that Russians feel that, when it comes to cheating in sports, the ends always justify the means. So no amount of cheating is too much for an Olympic gold or some success in the World Cup, in international skating competitions, etc.

I hope I'm not offending anyone, but if 40 years in skating taught me nothing else, it was that Russians cheat at sports. And some generalizations are just too true to be viewed as exhibiting excessive prejudice.

GH

I did not look at the following numbers until after I posted that note above. The following are the current rankings internationally for each national team in the World Cup:

A
    Russia 35
    Saudi Arabia 72
    Egypt 34
    Uruguay 13

B
    Portugal 9
    Spain 5
    Morocco 24
    Iran 44

C
    France 3
    Australia 49
    Peru 19
    Denmark 14

D
    Argentina 4
    Iceland 25
    Croatia 18
    Nigeria 40

E
    Brazil 2
    Switzerland 20
    Costa Rica 27
    Serbia 30

F
    Germany 1
    Mexico 15
    Sweden 17
    South Korea 54

G
    Belgium 7
    Panama 60
    Tunisia 45
    England 10

H
    Poland 11
    Senegal 28
    Colombia 12
    Japan 43

Total of ranking numbers for each group:
    A 154
    B 82
    C 85
    D 87
    E 97
    F 87
    G 122
    H 94

And the total of rankings for the top 2 teams in each group:
    A 47
    B 14
    C 17
    D 22
    E 22
    F 16
    G 17
    H 23

There is probably a lot wrong with overly emphasizing these numbers in comparing groups, but there are some striking findings.

GH

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The problem with the rigging theory is that if Russia gets through its group it'll have to play Spain or Portugal.

Unrelated to any rigging, but I'd like to add that football rankings are not that great a reflection of actual odds of winning.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    The problem with the rigging theory is that if Russia gets through its group it'll have to play Spain or Portugal.
    Obviously, no matter how much I distrust Russian sports federations, anything I say on this is just conjecture. That having been said, it is quite possible that, with an international ranking of 35th, the powers that put pressure on them will be acceptably pleased with them getting out of group play. So my guess (again, total conjecture) is that they "fixed" themselves into an easy group and let the usual draw determine the other 7 groups.

GH

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

On the plus side, an opening Spain-Portugal match looks very tasty!

ENGLAND!!
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast