Agree Agree:  65
Likes Likes:  65
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 World Cup 6/14 - 7/15

Russia won't win. There's no way IMO that Germany (or Messi or Spain) cares more about a few rubles than a title.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    Russia won't win. There's no way IMO that Germany (or Messi or Spain) cares more about a few rubles than a title.
    Yeah but it's hard spending the rest of your life avoiding terraces or open windows...
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I watched the Senegal vs Poland match on replay just to see that second goal. There was a bit of controversy because Niang who scored the goal was waiting to return to the match. The umpire (?) waved him in just as the Polish goalie was trying to get to the ball before another Senegalese player could get to it. He never saw Niang who was running onto the field (pitch?) and had the perfect angle to intercept the ball and dance it into the net.

The comms were emphasized that the player did nothing wrong and wondered at the official's lack of awareness.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    It would be very hard for them not to make it out of their group now. I don't follow much outside of the World Cup, so I'm not sure how good Egypt really is, but I thought Egypt was going to win with their star returning today. Now if Russia can do something against Uruguay we really can't say it was only the draw that got them through.
    Egypt is a mediocre team except for Salah.
    Roger forever

And let's not become crazy after Russia beat few inferior teams. I fully expected them to get out of the group, hosts have never failed to do so.
    Roger forever

Even if Russia plays well enough that they clearly deserve to be in the final 16, that will in no way diminish my certainty that they rigged the groupings to get them where they were. I have seen them fix skating events that they were virtually assured of winning, even without the fix (see 1999 pairs in Helsinki at World's as one perfectly clear example). I know it is a different sport, but the same system is ready with the fix.

Still, as per my opinion above, I really think final 16 is where they will end up....see Drop's note above. I agree with that.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I watched the Senegal vs Poland match on replay just to see that second goal. There was a bit of controversy because Niang who scored the goal was waiting to return to the match. The umpire (?) waved him in just as the Polish goalie was trying to get to the ball before another Senegalese player could get to it. He never saw Niang who was running onto the field (pitch?) and had the perfect angle to intercept the ball and dance it into the net.
    referee
    goalkeeper
    pitch

25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    referee
    goalkeeper
    pitch

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    referee
    goalkeeper
    pitch

Goalie is regularly used in place of the more formal goalkeeper in the US when discussing soccer.

Spain not looking like potential champions today.
    Roger forever

Spain was playing under a blanket - the Iranian team. They were fortunate to get that one goal. Everywhere a Spanish player turned there were Iranians waiting for them.

I enjoyed the match a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    And let's not become crazy after Russia beat few inferior teams. I fully expected them to get out of the group, hosts have never failed to do so.
    Except for South Africa
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Spain was playing under a blanket - the Iranian team. They were fortunate to get that one goal. Everywhere a Spanish player turned there were Iranians waiting for them.

I enjoyed the match a great deal.
    Ironically reminiscent of their 2010 winning team that won more with defense than offense. But this was more enjoyable than I remember those matches being.

But I agree about them not looking like potential champions. More concerning for them possibly since I don't think a ton had them in the Finals, they didn't look like semi-finalists or just real contenders today.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Even if Russia plays well enough that they clearly deserve to be in the final 16, that will in no way diminish my certainty that they rigged the groupings to get them where they were. I have seen them fix skating events that they were virtually assured of winning, even without the fix (see 1999 pairs in Helsinki at World's as one perfectly clear example). I know it is a different sport, but the same system is ready with the fix.

Still, as per my opinion above, I really think final 16 is where they will end up....see Drop's note above. I agree with that.

GH
    Yeah, unless Iran upsets Portugal... Russia is going to draw Spain or Portugal in round 16. I can't see them having any chance in that match.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Senegal scores! I don't know enough about soccer to understand why the Polish goalie came out so far

https://deadspin.com/senegals-mbaye-...mpression=true
    The keeper saw what the defender didn't, that the Senegal player had rejoined from the sideline. If that player got the ball first, it's a sure goal, so the keeper was pretty desperate there. And he doesn't even have to win the race, he just has to make solid contact at some point, but the Senegal player made a really nice first touch to go around him.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast