Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: 2018 ATP Race to London

Reem Abulleil
    ‏Verified account
    @ReemAbulleil

Via Nadal's team, statement from his doc Angel Ruiz-Cotorro:
    "Nadal presents an intra articulate free body bone (Intra-articular loose body) on his right ankle. An arthroscopy will be practiced to remove it & be able to be in perfect conditions for the beginning of next season"
    Isner is in.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

5 November 2018

ISNER TO REPLACE NADAL AT 2018 NITTO ATP FINALS

LONDON — John Isner will compete at the 2018 Nitto ATP Finals, to be held at The O2 in London from 11-18 November, following the withdrawal of Rafael Nadal due to injury. Isner will join Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev, Kevin Anderson, Marin Cilic, Dominic Thiem and Kei Nishikori at the elite eight-player event.

Nadal, who has not played competitively since retiring with a right knee injury versus Juan Martin del Potro on 8 September in the US Open semi-finals, is unable to recover full fitness ahead of the season finale in London. Last week, the Spaniard attempted to play at the Rolex Paris Masters, but was forced to withdraw prior to his first match due to an abdominal injury.

“I am writing these words to announce the end of my season,” announced Nadal in a statement. “It has been a complicated year. I played at a very high level when I was able to compete, but at the same time it was very bad as far as injuries are concerned. I have done everything possible to reach the end of the season in good condition, both in Paris and London, and I really wanted to play.

“But unfortunately, I had an abdominal problem in Paris last week and, in addition, I have a [problem] with my right ankle joint that [required] an operation [today]. It is true that we have known about it for a while, and from time to time it bothered me. However, since the problem with my abdominal muscle also prevents me from playing in London, we are taking advantage of the moment to remove the free body and avoid future problems.

“With this, I hope to be in full health for the next season. Thank you all for your support.”

The 33-year-old Isner becomes the third oldest first-time qualifier in tournament history (since 1970), behind Australia’s Ken Rosewall (36, at the inaugural 1970 event in Tokyo) and Andres Gimeno (35), who competed at the 1972 event in Barcelona.

Isner, who has put together the best season of his career in 2018 and achieved a career-high No. 8 in the ATP Rankings on 16 July, defeated Cilic, Del Potro and Zverev for his first Masters 1000 title at the Miami Open presented by Itaú on 1 April. As the World No. 17, he was the lowest-ranked Miami champion since No. 18 Jim Courier in 1991 and at the age of 32, was the oldest first-time Masters 1000 titlist since the tournament series began in 1990. The American clinched his fifth trophy in his eighth BB&T Atlanta Open final (d. Harrison) in July shortly after advancing to his first Grand Slam semi-final at Wimbledon, where he lost 26-24 in the fifth set against Anderson, after six hours and 36 minutes — the second longest-match in major championship history. By reaching his second US Open quarter-final (l. to Del Potro), Isner also became the first American to reach two straight Grand Slam quarter-finals since Andy Roddick at 2008 US Open and 2009 Australian Open. Isner is guaranteed his first year-end Top 10 finish — his previous year-end high being No. 11 in 2015.

Karen Khachanov, who picked up his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title in Paris on Sunday (d. Djokovic), and Borna Coric will serve as first and second alternates respectively at the 2018 season finale.

# # #

About The ATP

The ATP is the governing body of the men's professional tennis circuits - the ATP World Tour, the ATP Challenger Tour and the ATP Champions Tour. With 64 tournaments in 31 countries, the ATP World Tour showcases the finest male athletes competing in the world’s most exciting venues. From Australia to Europe and the Americas to Asia, the stars of the 2018 ATP World Tour will battle for prestigious titles and ATP Rankings points at ATP World Tour Masters 1000, 500 and 250 events, as well as Grand Slams (non ATP events). At the end of the season only the world’s top 8 qualified singles players and doubles teams will qualify to compete for the last title of the season at the Nitto ATP Finals. Held at The O2 in London, the event will officially crown the 2018 ATP World Tour No. 1. For more information, please visit www.ATPWorldTour.com.

Take Roger out, and this will be exactly like this event will look in about three more years, year after year, finally being deserved to be truly called the WTF tournament.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Isner is in.
    Ugh! I knew it was going to happen, but still. Only upside I can see is that hopefully this means Leif and Paul and Jim will be calling the matches for Tennis Channel and not Justin.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Take Roger out, and this will be exactly like this event will look in about three more years, year after year, finally being deserved to be truly called the WTF tournament.
    The only way this tournament wil ever deserve to be truly called the WORLD TOUR finals tournament, is if it is played on different surfaces each season in different cities, to represent the WORLD TOUR. Right now it is the London indoor championships as far I care (I’ve been a couple of times to this tournament and love it btw)

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rafa did the right thing. At least now there's no chance Roger and Novak land in the same group.
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I didn't see it mentioned here, but I went to go check and the group draw had apparently been completed.

Djokovic
    Zevrev
    Cilic
    Isner

Federer
    Anderson
    Thiem
    Nishikori

Djokovic's group looks more challenging.
    I disapprove of this message

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    I didn't see it mentioned here, but I went to go check and the group draw had apparently been completed.

Djokovic
    Zevrev
    Cilic
    Isner

Federer
    Anderson
    Thiem
    Nishikori

Are you surprised?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post

Djokovic
    Zevrev
    Cilic
    Isner

Federer
    Anderson
    Thiem
    Nishikori

It certainly looks taller.
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123