Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 2018 ATP Race to London

28 October 2018

ANDERSON CREATES HISTORY WITH FIRST-TIME NITTO ATP FINALS QUALIFICATION

LONDON — Kevin Anderson has become the first singles player from South Africa in 23 years to secure a berth at the Nitto ATP Finals as a result of lifting the Erste Bank Open 500 trophy on Sunday. Anderson joins Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Juan Martin del Potro, Roger Federer and Alexander Zverev at the elite eight-man 2018 event, to be held at The O2 in London from 11-18 November. The two final places will be decided at next week’s Rolex Paris Masters.

“It’s been a huge goal of mine all year to make London,” said Anderson. “I’ve said that right from the beginning, so to finally put my name there, it feels fantastic.”

Anderson, who will finish in the year-end Top 10 of the ATP Rankings for the first time, is set to follow in the footsteps of Wayne Ferreira, who went 2-1 in round-robin play at the 1995 season finale in Frankfurt, Germany. At 32 years, six months, Anderson is also the fourth oldest first-time singles qualifier, behind Australia’s Ken Rosewall (36, at the inaugural 1970 event in Tokyo) Andres Gimeno (35) and Bob Hewitt (32), who both competed at the 1972 event in Barcelona.

Enjoying a career-best season, Anderson achieved a career-high No. 5 on 16 July — becoming the highest-ranked South African in ATP Rankings history (since 1973) — after advancing to his second Grand Slam championship final at Wimbledon (l. to Djokovic). He rallied from two sets down and saved one match point to beat Roger Federer in the quarter-finals and defeated John Isner 26-24 in the fifth set for the 300th match win of his career after six hours and 36 minutes.

The Florida resident captured his fourth ATP World Tour title – and his first since 2015 – at the inaugural New York Open (d. Querrey) in February. He also advanced to two ATP World Tour finals at the Tata Open Maharashtra in Pune (l. to Simon) and at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel presentado por HSBC in Acapulco (l. to Del Potro). He ended an 0-10 start to his career in ATP World Tour Masters 1000 quarter-finals by reaching the semi-finals at the Mutua Madrid Open (l. to Thiem) and at the Rogers Cup in Toronto (l. to Tsitsipas).

Anderson has now finished five of the past six seasons in the Top 20 (2013-15, 2017-18). His previous-best finish to a campaign came in 2015, when he was year-end No. 12 in the ATP Rankings (46-24 match record). Having first broken into the Top 10 at No. 10 on 12 October 2015, the South African was soon sidelined by a number of injuries and dropped to as low as No. 80 on 16 January 2017. But one of the sport’s hardest working players broke back into the Top 10 on 19 February 2018.

With just one week left of the regular ATP World Tour season, Croatia’s Marin Cilic and Austria’s Dominic Thiem leads the battle to claim the last two spots. Three-time former qualifier Kei Nishikori, who lost to Anderson in the Vienna final, and American John Isner will also be pushing hard in Paris this week for a place at The O2 in London.

In the doubles field, Oliver Marach/Mate Pavic, Juan Sebastian Cabal/Robert Farah, Lukasz Kubot/Marcelo Melo, Jamie Murray/Bruno Soares, Mike Bryan/Jack Sock, Pierre-Hugues Herbert/Nicolas Mahut, Raven Klaasen/Michael Venus and Nikola Mektic/Alexander Peya have secured their places.

Per ATP rules, the doubles field will be determined on 5 November following the conclusion of the Rolex Paris Masters, the final tournament of the regular ATP World Tour season. On that date, it will be determined what the eight teams will be as both Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan and also Mike Bryan and Jack Sock currently have sufficient points in the ATP Doubles Race To London to secure a place at the season finale. Bob Bryan has been sidelined due to a hip injury since May, but may be fit enough to return with his twin brother to the prestigious event.

The Nitto ATP Finals welcomes more than 250,000 fans to The O2 arena annually, as well as generating global viewership figures reaching an average of 95 million viewers each year, as the ATP’s best eight singles players and doubles teams compete over eight days at the biggest indoor tennis tournament in the world.

# # #

About The Nitto ATP Finals

The Nitto ATP Finals is the year-end climax to the men's professional tennis season, featuring only the world's best eight qualified singles players and doubles teams as they battle it out for the last title of the season. Players compete for ATP Rankings points throughout the season in a bid to earn one of the eight coveted berths and a chance to win the biggest indoor tennis tournament in the world. Played using a round-robin format, each player plays three matches as they compete for a berth in the knockout semi-finals and beyond. The prestigious tournament has been contested in major cities around the world with a rich history dating back to the birth of The Masters in 1970 in Tokyo. Since 2000 the event has taken place in cities such as Lisbon, Sydney, and Shanghai. In 2009 the tournament was moved to London, where it will be played through 2020. For more information, please visit www.NittoATPFinals.com.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

How is he making history by qualifying? I’m made up for him as I’m a fan but these headlines are so over the top

It's confusing. He's the highest ranked South African in history, but that was already true, and it's his first time qualifying, so it's making personal history.

It does look like an over-caffeinated staffer had to slap it together quickly. It might have been bad if he had some obvious lies in his Wikipedia page. "Anderson makes history as the first Middle Earth Ent to qualify."

Is he the oldest to qualify for the first time?

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    Is he the oldest to qualify for the first time?
    I was just about to guess that! I think that must be true, no?

Anderson qualifying for WTF as the first South African in 23 years is not historic.

Anderson is the fourth oldest player to qualify for the WTF. Again, not historic.

Anderson qualifying for WTF for the first time in his career is impressive and commendable, but not historic.

A lot of that press release is journalistic hyperbole.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    Anderson qualifying for WTF as the first South African in 23 years is not historic.

Anderson is the fourth oldest player to qualify for the WTF. Again, not historic.

Anderson qualifying for WTF for the first time in his career is impressive and commendable, but not historic.

A lot of that press release is journalistic hyperbole.
    This post is historic! (yours, not mine )
    Think about it. Nole, Rafa and Roger already qualified. Then Delpo will very likely not be there because of his knee (or wrist, or elbow, or tinnitus or something). Superstar ZZZZZZascha ZZZZZZVerev will not sell tickets, Thiem is not very good on indoor carpet, and you will probably round up the eight guys with, yes, Anderson and Nishikori and some other warm body. The ATP needs to start building up these guys before Roger packs it or it will become the Anonymous Tennis Players. Fast.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    Yes, the hyperbole is rampant. I find that my seemingly ever-increasing blood pressure can often be attributed to poorly written headlines.

But, per your quoted text above, there were 3 players older than him who went to the Finals for the first time?

If that's true - then yeah, there is nothing historic about it. 23 years is a blip in the record books of this grand sport...

My attitude is, if they record who plays in the championship, then they all made history. So yeah, it is historic to qualify, but then again, so what?

2 November 2018

CILIC, THIEM QUALIFY TO COMPLETE SINGLES FIELD FOR 2018 NITTO ATP FINALS
    • Draw to be made on Monday, 5 November
    • Groups named after 2000s legends

LONDON — Croatia’s Marin Cilic and Austria’s Dominic Thiem have clinched the two final spots at the prestigious season-ending tournament, to be held from 11-18 November at The O2 in London, as a result of Friday’s play at the Rolex Paris Masters.

Cilic has secured his place at the season finale for the fourth time (also 2014, 2016-17), while Thiem will compete for the third consecutive year. They will join World No. 1 Rafael Nadal of Spain, Serbia’s five-time former champion Novak Djokovic, Swiss six-time former titlist Roger Federer, Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina, Germany’s Alexander Zverev and first-time participant Kevin Anderson of South African at the elite event.

This season, the 30-year-old Cilic claimed his second Fever-Tree Championships crown at The Queen’s Club in June (d. Djokovic), and reached his third Grand Slam championship final (also 2014 US Open and 2017 Wimbledon) at the Australian Open in January (l. to Federer). He also advanced to semi-finals at two Masters 1000 tournaments — the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome (l. to A. Zverev) and the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati (l. to Djokovic) — plus the last four at the Tata Open Maharashtra (l. to Simon), an ATP World Tour 250-level event in Pune. World No. 7 Cilic, who rose to a career-high No. 3 in the ATP Rankings on 29 January 2018, has won at least one ATP World Tour title for 11 consecutive years (2008-2018). His 18 career titles are the second-most for a Croatian behind Goran Ivanisevic with 22 crowns.

Thiem, 25, has recorded 50+ match wins for the second time in his career — compiling a 53-17 match record with three titles, bettered only by his 2016 season when he posted a 58-24 mark with four titles. The World No. 8 has lifted trophies in 2018 at three ATP World Tour 250-level tournaments — the Argentina Open in Buenos Aires (d. Bedene), the Open Parc Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Lyon (d. Simon) and the St. Petersburg Open (d. Klizan). He also finished as runner-up at Roland Garros (l. to Nadal), his first Grand Slam championship final, and for the second successive year at the Mutua Madrid Open (l. to Zverev), a Masters 1000 event.

In the doubles field, Oliver Marach/Mate Pavic, Juan Sebastian Cabal/Robert Farah, Lukasz Kubot/Marcelo Melo, Jamie Murray/Bruno Soares, Mike Bryan/Jack Sock, Raven Klaasen/Michael Venus, Nikola Mektic/Alexander Peya and Pierre-Hugues Herbert/Nicolas Mahut have secured their places.

Per ATP rules, the doubles field will be determined on 5 November following the conclusion of the Rolex Paris Masters, the final tournament of the regular ATP World Tour season. On that date, it will be determined what the eight teams will be as both Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan and also Mike Bryan and Jack Sock currently have sufficient points in the ATP Doubles Race To London to secure a place at the season finale. Bob Bryan has been sidelined due to a hip injury since May, but he may be fit enough to return with his twin brother to the prestigious event.

2018 DRAW CEREMONY:
    The draw for the 2018 Nitto ATP Finals will be conducted live on The One Show (from 7-7:30pm GMT) on BBC One television on Monday, 5 November.

2018 GROUP NAMES:
    The Finals Club, an initiative launched by the ATP in 2015 as a way of celebrating the past champions and heritage of the season-ending tournament since its inception in 1970, will this year honour players from the 2000s. As such, the group names for singles and doubles will honour players who enjoyed remarkable success at the season finale during that decade:

In singles:
    - Group Guga Kuerten (containing the No. 1 seed) – 2000 champion
    - Group Lleyton Hewitt (containing the No. 2 seed) – 2001 and 2002 champion

In doubles:
    - Group Knowles/Nestor (containing the No. 1 seeds) – 2007 champions
    - Group Llodra/Santoro (containing the No. 2 seeds) – 2005 champions

The Nitto ATP Finals welcomes more than 250,000 fans to The O2 arena annually, as well as generating global viewership figures reaching an average of 95 million viewers each year, as the ATP’s best eight singles players and doubles teams compete over eight days at the biggest indoor tennis tournament in the world.

# # #

The Nitto ATP Finals is the year-end climax to the men's professional tennis season, featuring only the world's best eight qualified singles players and doubles teams as they battle it out for the last title of the season. Players compete for ATP Rankings points throughout the season in a bid to earn one of the eight coveted berths and a chance to win the biggest indoor tennis tournament in the world. Played using a round-robin format, each player plays three matches as they compete for a berth in the knockout semi-finals and beyond. The prestigious tournament has been contested in major cities around the world with a rich history dating back to the birth of The Masters in 1970 in Tokyo. Since 2000 the event has taken place in cities such as Lisbon, Sydney, and Shanghai. In 2009 the tournament was moved to London, where it will be played through 2020. For more information, please visit www.NittoATPFinals.com.

#9 get ready. I don't think Rafa shows up.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    #9 get ready. I don't think Rafa shows up.
    How about #10? When is Delpo withdrawing??
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

So, probably Nishikori and Isner? Yay. Ick.

That said, I just caught up with Paris stats and saw that Khachanov owns Isner 3-0 in their H2H. I am inordinately delighted by this nugget.

ATP Finals: Injured Juan Martin del Porto replaced by Kei Nishikori

Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from the season-ending ATP Finals in London and will be replaced by Japan's Kei Nishikori.

World number four Del Potro is still sidelined with the right knee injury he sustained in Shanghai last month.

Nishikori will join Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev, Kevin Anderson, Marin Cilic and Dominic Thiem at the event.

"It's frustrating for me not to be able to compete in London," said Del Potro.

The Argentine, 30, last played in the tournament in 2013 but has been plagued by injuries since.

"It's a very special tournament and I've tried everything possible to get my knee better," he added. "The rehabilitation is making good progress, but I need more time.

"Of course, it's disappointing for me right now, but I had a very good season overall."

The ATP Finals run at the O2 Arena from 11-18 November.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46086497

3 November 2018

NISHIKORI REPLACES DEL POTRO AT 2018 NITTO ATP FINALS
    • Popular Argentine Del Potro withdraws due to right knee injury

LONDON — Kei Nishikori will compete at the 2018 Nitto ATP Finals, to be held at The O2 in London from 11-18 November, following the withdrawal of Juan Martin del Potro due to a right knee injury. Nishikori will join Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev, Kevin Anderson, Marin Cilic and Dominic Thiem at the elite eight-player event.

Del Potro, who reached a career-high ranking of No. 3 earlier this season, continues his rehabilitation following an injury sustained while competing at the Rolex Shanghai Masters in October, but is unable to recover full fitness ahead of London.

“It’s frustrating for me not to be able to compete in London,” said Del Potro. “It’s a very special tournament and I’ve tried everything possible to get my knee better. The rehabilitation is making good progress, but I need more time. Of course, it’s disappointing for me right now, but I had a very good season overall.”

The 28-year-old Nishikori will make his fourth appearance at the season finale (also 2014-16), having reached the semi-finals at the Nitto ATP Finals on two occasions, his debut in 2014 and in 2016 (l. to Djokovic both times). The Japanese star is only the third player since 1994 to have won an ATP Challenger Tour title (Dallas) and qualified for the Nitto ATP Finals in the same season, following in the footsteps of Ivan Ljubicic (2005) and Robin Soderling (2009).

Nishikori, who returned in January 2018 after a five-month lay-off due to a right wrist injury, captured his sixth ATP Challenger Tour title — and first since 2010 — at Dallas (d. McDonald) in February, but fell to No. 39 in the ATP Rankings on 2 April, his lowest position since No. 47 on 10 October 2011. He advanced to three ATP World Tour finals this year, his fourth ATP World Tour Masters 1000 final at the Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters (l. to Nadal) in April, and two 500-level events last month: the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships (l. to Medvedev) and the Erste Bank Open 500 (l. to Anderson). Since the start of the US Open, where he reached his third Grand Slam championship semi-final (l. to Djokovic), he has advanced to at least the quarter-finals at six consecutive tour-level events. Nishikori, who will finish the year in the Top 10 for the fourth time (also 2014-16), also reached his first Wimbledon quarter-final (l. to Djokovic) in July.

The Nitto ATP Finals welcomes more than 250,000 fans to The O2 arena annually, as well as generating global viewership figures reaching an average of 95 million each year, as the ATP’s best eight singles players and doubles teams compete over eight days at the biggest indoor tennis tournament in the world.

# # #

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast