Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reflections: 2018 Winter Olympics

So what are your most memorable events of the 2018 Winter Olympics? Here are mine:

1) The women's hockey gold medal match. Not because the U.S. won. I remember is for two primary reasons. First, the 20-year-old goalie for the U.S. Just a kid. What she did was remarkable. Second, the winning U.S. shot. Wow. Third, I remember it more for the Canadian women after they lost. They were so crushed. I cried, not out of joy for the U.S. women, which would have been understandable. I cried for the Canadian women.

2) Zagitova vs. Medvedeva. We truly witnessed something extraordinary.

3) The 8th end of the men's gold medal curling match. What. The. ****. Was. That?!?!? I am still not sure if the U.S. men were so exceptional, if the Swedish men just mucked it up, or if it was a combination of the two.

4) Anything involving Martin Fourcade. Unless he was mucking things up like he did in his last event. The man is an athletic beast. A pure, athletic beast.

What do you remember most?

Re: Reflections: 2018 Winter Olympics

Speed skating, both long and short track. They can keep the mass start relay though. I just found that confusing.

Figure Skating of course. I was glad to see Nathan Chen redeem himself. I was glad to see Mirai Nagasu hit that jump during the team competition. I was sorry to see Medvedeva skate the best skate I've ever seen her do and lose because she went for artistry and didn't back load her free skate with jumps. That fall during her short program didn't help either.

All of the sliding events (skeleton, luge, bobsled). Those folks are insane.

Martin Fourcade.

The man who won the 50k Alpine Skiing event.

Snowboarding and all the cross events.

The Korean women's curling team.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Reflections: 2018 Winter Olympics

Ledecka. 2 golds in different sports. Her win in Super G was the single most amazing moment of the tournament.

Norwegian athletes dominating.

Austrian skiers - Hirscher. Mayer winning gold after crashing in earlier race.

Cross country- so many moments. Krueger who fell in skiathlon and then won. Klaebo in the relay. Niskanen in 50k. Bjorgen dominating. The Tonga/Mexico/etc. crew.

That insane women's relay in short track.

In figure skating, Hanyu and the German pair win were the top moments. Both were sublime. Medvedeva skating beautifully and losing was just upsetting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJ2004; 02-26-2018 at 05:34 AM.

My favorite moments are a bit different than favorite events -

The Korean men's hockey team's final match, where they scored two goals, and at the end received a standing ovation, and the team bowed to thank the crowd and then bowed to thank their coach. The team was built from nothing, they didn't have the right skate sharpener for hockey, and they became a competitive international team in just a matter of years. It was very touching, a true Olympic moment to me. I had tears in my eyes watching that.

The American duo winning gold in Cross Country Skiing - US never ever gets a medal, they get better each time it seems, but it's 5th place, 6th place, 8th place, never a medal. So, I watched the team sprint expecting more of the same, but then, they were competitive, and it was great and it seemed like they'd be getting at least a bronze, and that still would've made my top moments. But the race was fantastic, especially the last minute or two, and Jessie just willed herself around the course even though she was clearly exhausted and started sprinting on the final stretch, it looks like she'll get the silver, but no, she really motored and she edged out the Swede at the very end for the gold. It was amazing! First gold for the US, men or women, in cross country skiing.

US Women's Hockey Team Winning - I had just watched some featurette about the team and the loss in Sochi, and they were gutted by that loss, several didn't want to return this time. So I watched that final, just hoping for a different ending for the team remembering their dejection. Thought we were sunk when Canada got that power play at the end of OT. But OT and the shootout, man was that exciting and I was thrilled they were able to win the gold.

Pairs Figure Skating - Aliona Savchenko coming to her 5th Olympics and she wants gold not some other medal, and it's unlikely that she's going to get it with the way the Chinese pair has been delivering lately. But they faltered, and she finally had the Olympic performance she's been searching for for 16 years. It was wonderful to see all that perseverance finally pay off.

Favorite/Most Memorable events -

Short Track - love it all, and those 3000m women's relay heats when Korea fell and looked to be eliminated but they weren't and not just caught up but won their semifinal? It's why I love short track, it's so exciting and unpredictable.

Anything Snowboarding, Freestyle Skiing, Snow/Skicross

Figure skating - all the disciplines, but especially enjoyed the men's and ice dancing with the wonderful performances from the top groups in both the short and the free skate

Biathlon - shocking the heck out of myself, truly enjoyed watching any and every biathlon event they had, men's and women's. Didn't know who the heck Martin Fourcade was before this, but I sure do now.

Shouldn't this be in "50 parting thoughts" format?

Wait until nelslus steps in. :wink:

I agree with the cross country gold for the US--that was exciting to see. I also enjoyed how much snowboarding has evolved in the last decade--the tricks they are landing now are spectacular.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

My list with little forethought, and with no significance to this order:

1. Figure skating: German pair long program

2. Curling: 8th end of gold medal match for men.

3. Cross-country: Women's sprint relay (nationalism here....first medal for US women, first gold for any US cross-country skier)

4. Ester Ledecka's expression on winning the super-G.

5. Everything biathlon. (kind of agreeing with JazzNU here. I can't come up with a single moment, but I simply found all of those races to be riveting)

Having just finished watching, unspoiled, earlier today, those are the 5 things that came crashing to mind as the most unforgettable. But I also agree about all of the ones mentioned by everyone above.

GH

GH

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Wait until nelslus steps in. :wink:

My reflection on the Olympics is that there wasn't much of anything worth reflecting on.

Otherwise, while it very true and has been made clear to me by some in here that I do tend to go on and on, I mercifully also don't feel the need to express my opinion on every single subject. (Wink Optional.)
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Ah, I think my joke wasn't clear, or a good one. I wasn't thinking at all of the contents of your posts, rather I was referring to 50 Parting Thoughts at the French Open and how it kept resurrecting. My apologies - my humor doesn't always work.