Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  6
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: 2018 WTA Race to Singapore

News Release
    October 14, 2018

Sloane Stephens Earns Career First Qualification at 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global
    Miami Open champion and Roland Garros finalist to make debut at prestigious WTA Finals
    Becomes sixth of eight singles players to qualify for the year-end showpiece

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA – The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced today that Sloane Stephens has qualified for the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, set to take place from October 21-28, 2018. The American joins Simona Halep, Angelique Kerber, Naomi Osaka, Petra Kvitova and Caroline Wozniacki in the singles field, with two spots remaining.

Stephens has earned her career first qualification at the WTA Finals following a stellar season, which saw her win her first WTA Premier Mandatory title at the Miami Open. The American also reached her second career Grand Slam final at Roland Garros and made a runner-up finish at the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank (Montreal).

Following Miami, Stephens broke into the WTA Top 10 for the first time in her career and after Roland Garros, she cracked the Top 5, climbing to a career-high ranking of No.3 on July 16, 2018.

“I’m honored to qualify for my first WTA Finals,” said Stephens. “I’m looking forward to meeting the amazing fans in Singapore, exploring the city, and competing against the best players of the season.”

Stephens is set to make her debut appearance at the WTA Finals. An American player has competed in three of the previous four editions of the year-end event in Singapore, including Serena Williams (2014 champion), Madison Keys (2016) and Venus Williams (2017 runner-up).

Staged at the Singapore Sports Hub from October 21-28, the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global is a 10-day tennis festival featuring the world’s best players vying for a US$7 million in prize money and two of the most prestigious titles in women’s tennis. The Top 8 singles players will compete in a round-robin format with the winner taking home the Billie Jean King Trophy. The Top 8 doubles teams will compete in a knock-out format for the WTA Finals Martina Navratilova Trophy.

The Porsche Race to Singapore Leaderboard is updated each Monday (every two weeks during Grand Slams events) and can be found at www.WTAFinals.com.

The winner of the Porsche Race to Singapore - the player who sits at No.1 in singles leading into the WTA Finals - will not only seal a spot at the season-ending showpiece, but also be congratulated with a new Porsche 718 Boxster GTS.

Tickets to the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global are on sale at www.WTAFinals.com, an immersive one-stop destination for all things tournament-related, bringing fans the latest news from the top players on their journey on the Porsche Race to Singapore.

Click here to read more on Stephens' qualification and the scenarios for the final two spots in Singapore.

The WTA is the global leader in women’s professional sport with more than 2,500 players representing nearly 100 nations competing for a record $146 million in prize money. The 2018 WTA competitive season includes 54 events and four Grand Slams in 30 countries. In 2017, the WTA was watched around the world by a total TV audience of 500 million. The 2018 WTA competitive season concludes with the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global from October 21-28, 2018 and the Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy in Zhuhai, China from October 30-November 4, 2018.

Three Players to Fight for Final Two Spots at WTA Finals Singapore

After Sloane Stephens secured her place at the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global on Sunday, two qualifying spots remain as the Tour heads into the final week of the WTA regular season at the VTB Kremlin Cup (Moscow) and the BGL BNP Paribas Luxembourg Open.

Three players have a chance in qualifying, which is to be decided in Moscow. Kiki Bertens must reach the semifinals this week in order to book her place in Singapore, while Karolina Pliskova will earn her spot by either reaching the final four or if Bertens does not. Elina Svitolina, who is not playing this week, can secure her position at the WTA Finals if only one of Bertens or Pliskova makes it to the semifinals or if neither of them do so.

The Top 8 singles players and doubles teams of 2018 will secure their spot at the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, taking place October 21-28, 2018. The singles winner of the Porsche Race to Singapore - the player who sits at No.1 leading into the WTA Finals - will not only seal a spot at the season-ending showpiece, but also be congratulated with a new Porsche 718 Boxster GTS.

Click here to read more on this week's Porsche Race to Singapore Leaderboard.

"Three players have a chance in qualifying, which is to be decided in Moscow. Kiki Bertens must reach the semifinals this week in order to book her place in Singapore, while Karolina Pliskova will earn her spot by either reaching the final four or if Bertens does not. Elina Svitolina, who is not playing this week, can secure her position at the WTA Finals if only one of Bertens or Pliskova makes it to the semifinals or if neither of them do so."

Slight flaw in that analysis. Pliskova will earn 100 points and seal her spot by reaching the quarterfinals, regardless of Bertens results, since Pliskova is only trailing Svitolina by 10 points

Of course, if Halep withdraws all three will qualify.
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2011

Pliskova just got destroyed by Zvonareva (go Bepa!), so that means Svitolina is in.

Bertens can knock out Pliskova with a SF. She plays Sasnovich in the R16 today, then the winner of Konta/Gavrilova for the spot.

That's a pretty pathetic result for Pliskova the Elder.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Bertens lost, so it's all settled.

This was the list after the French Open. The only change is Osaka replacing Muguruza. The WTA has been oddly steady this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    It's strange for only being halfway through the year, but I think there's a high chance that the current top 8 in the WTA race are the 8 who end up qualifying. There aren't any outliers.

1) Halep - 5285
    2) Wozniacki - 3370
    3) Kvitova - 3032
    4) Svitolina - 2950
    5) Kerber - 2730
    6) Stephens - 2663
    7) Muguruza - 2253
    8) Pliskova - 2241

9) Kasatkina - 2075
    10) Mertens - 2062
    T11) Osaka+Garcia - 1722

October 17, 2018

Field is Set as Karolina Pliskova and Elina Svitolina Qualify for 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global
    Pliskova to make third straight appearance at prestigious WTA Finals, while Svitolina will appear in her second
    The Czech and Ukrainian become the seventh and eighth singles players to qualify, setting the field for the year-end showpiece

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA – The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced today that Karolina Pliskova and Elina Svitolina have qualified for the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, set to take place from October 21-28, 2018.

Pliskova and Svitolina round out the singles field, joining Simona Halep, Angelique Kerber, Naomi Osaka, Petra Kvitova, Caroline Wozniacki and Sloane Stephens in Singapore to compete for $7 million in prize money.

“We are excited to have Karolina and Elina once again qualify to be in Singapore to complete an outstanding field for the 2018 WTA Finals,” said WTA CEO & Chairman Steve Simon. “Singapore will be an exciting week for women’s tennis, as the Top 8 singles players and doubles teams are ready to compete for this prestigious title while celebrating an amazing five-year legacy in this wonderful city.”

Pliskova has earned her spot at the WTA Finals after lifting two titles this season, at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (Stuttgart) and the Toray Pan Pacific Open (Tokyo). She reached her third final of 2018 at the Tianjin Open, and advanced to the semifinal stage at the Brisbane International and the Mutua Madrid Open. Back-to-back quarterfinal appearances at the BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells) and the Miami Open presented by Itaú, as well as reaching the last eight at the Australian Open and US Open, also strengthened her grip on a qualification berth.

“I’m delighted to be appearing at the WTA Finals for the third time,” said Karolina. “I have such great memories from playing in Singapore in 2016 and 2017, and I can’t wait to close out the year competing against the other elite players of 2018.”

The Czech will make her third consecutive appearance at the WTA Finals, where she reached the semifinals in 2017 and was only halted by eventual champion Caroline Wozniacki. On her debut at the event in 2016, she posted a 1-2 record in the round robin stage, which included a win over World No.5 Garbiñe Muguruza.

Svitolina has posted a perfect 3-0 record in finals this season, lifting the trophies at the Brisbane International presented by Suncorp and defending her titles at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships and Internazionali BNL d’Italia (Rome). The Ukrainian reached the quarterfinal stage at the Australian Open and made the round of 16 at the US Open, maintaining her Top 10 ranking all season long.

"I'm excited to qualify for the WTA Finals for my second time," said Svitolina. "Making it to Singapore is my goal every year so I'm happy to return and be part of the top eight players of the season."

In her first showing at the WTA Finals last year following her breakout season, Svitolina went 1-2 in the group stage, scoring a straight sets win over the reigning WTA World No.1 Simona Halep.

Staged at the Singapore Sports Hub from October 21-28, the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global is a 10-day tennis festival featuring the world’s best players vying for a US$7 million in prize money and two of the most prestigious titles in women’s tennis. The Top 8 singles players will compete in a round-robin format with the winner taking home the Billie Jean King Trophy. The Top 8 doubles teams will compete in a knock-out format for the WTA Finals Martina Navratilova Trophy.

The Porsche Race to Singapore Leaderboard is updated each Monday (every two weeks during Grand Slams events) and can be found at www.WTAFinals.com.

The winner of the Porsche Race to Singapore - the player who sits at No.1 in singles leading into the WTA Finals - will not only seal a spot at the season-ending showpiece, but also be congratulated with a new Porsche 718 Boxster GTS.

Tickets to the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global are on sale at www.WTAFinals.com, an immersive one-stop destination for all things tournament-related, bringing fans the latest news from the top players on their journey on the Porsche Race to Singapore.

Click here to read more.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Bertens lost, so it's all settled.

This was the list after the French Open. The only change is Osaka replacing Muguruza. The WTA has been oddly steady this year.
    Been very stable all year, also at the very top. Some of us predicted 4+ number #1 players before the AO. There have been only two and both won slams.
    Roger forever

Simona Halep pulls out of season-ending WTA Finals because of injury

Kiki Bertens replaces world No 1 in Singapore
    Johanna Konta reaches Kremlin Cup quarter-finals

Simona Halep has withdrawn from next week’s WTA Finals in Singapore because of a back injury. The world No 1, who has a herniated disc, had hoped to be fit but is still experiencing pain and will be replaced in the field by Kiki Bertens.

“Unfortunately, after much discussion with my team and doctors, I have made the decision to withdraw from the WTA Finals in Singapore,” said Halep. “I wanted to finish 2018 on a high after such an incredible year, but sadly my back injury hasn’t healed the way we hoped it would and I need to put my long-term health first.

“I’m sad I won’t be able to play the fifth and final edition here in Singapore, but I’m confident this is the right decision and will do everything I can to be back fighting for my place at the WTA Finals next year.”

Halep has already guaranteed she will finish the year on top of the rankings after a season that brought the Romanian a maiden grand slam title at the French Open.

Bertens has had a breakthrough season at the very top level and recently became the first Dutchwoman to make the top 10 for more than 20 years. The 26-year-old, who reached the doubles final in Singapore 12 months ago with the Swede Johanna Larsson, said: “I’m very happy with my season and to finish it off at the WTA Finals is the ultimate prize. I have great memories in Singapore.”

Meanwhile in Moscow, Britain’s Johanna Konta will be in action on Thursday in the Kremlin Cup quarter-finals. She recovered from a second-set wobble to defeat Daria Gavrilova 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 on Wednesday.

The world No 44, who faces Aliaksandra Sasnovich in the last eight, plans to end a disappointing 2018 campaign after this tournament.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nis?CMP=twt_gu

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

So the reason she didn’t withdraw earlier, was to keep the race for the final spot more exciting for us fans cheers Simona
    Last edited by liam_valid; 10-18-2018 at 11:50 AM.

I'm glad Simona is putting her health above anything else.

I think you're right Liam. This only increases my respect for her.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

October 18, 2018

Simona Halep Withdraws, Kiki Bertens Qualifies for 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global

Halep forced to withdraw from WTA Finals due to a lower back injury
    Cincinnati champion Bertens enters the singles field as the No.8 seed in Singapore

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA – The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced today that Simona Halep has withdrawn from the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global due to a lower back injury.

As a result, Kiki Bertens qualifies for the final spot, joining Angelique Kerber, Naomi Osaka, Petra Kvitova, Caroline Wozniacki, Sloane Stephens, Karolina Pliskova and Elina Svitolina in Singapore for the US$7 million showpiece set to take place from October 21-28, 2018.

“Unfortunately, after much discussion with my team and doctors, I have made the decision to withdraw from the WTA Finals in Singapore,” said Halep. “I wanted to finish 2018 on a high after such an incredible year, but sadly my back injury hasn’t healed the way we hoped it would and I need to put my long-term health first. I’m sad I won’t be able to play the fifth and final edition here in Singapore, but I’m confident this is the right decision and will do everything I can to be back fighting for my place at the WTA Finals next year. Singapore is a special city and I’m sure the fans will enjoy seeing some fantastic women’s tennis this week.”

Bertens is set to make her first singles qualification berth in Singapore after a standout season. The Dutchwoman captured the biggest title of her career at the Western & Southern Open (Cincinnati), where she defeated Halep in the final. She also picked up titles at the Volvo Car Open (Charleston) and the Korea Open (Seoul), and made a run to the final at the Mutua Madrid Open.

Earlier this month, Bertens broke into the WTA Top 10 to become the first woman from the Netherlands to reach this milestone in 22 years, when Brenda Schultz-McCarty did so in 1996.

Bertens will make her second appearance in Singapore, having competed in the doubles field in 2017 alongside Sweden’s Johanna Larsson. As the No.8 seeds, the pair reached the championship match, falling to Andrea Sestini Hlavackova and Timea Babos.

“I’m very happy with my season and to finish it off at the WTA Finals is the ultimate prize,” said Bertens. “I have great memories in Singapore from reaching the doubles final last year. I look forward to being back to compete in front of the amazing crowd.”

Click here to read WTA Insider's exclusive interview with Halep and more on Bertens' qualification

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234