Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 2018 WTA Race to Singapore

September 29, 2018

Doubles Teams of Andrea Sestini Hlavackova/ Barbora Strycova and Elise Mertens/Demi Schuurs Qualify for 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global

Sestini Hlavackova to return to Singapore as the defending champion, while Strycova will make her tournament debut
    Mertens and Schuurs to make debut showing at the WTA Finals following Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open title
    Pairings become third and fourth teams to qualify for the year-end showpiece, with four spots remaining

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA – The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced today that the doubles teams of Andrea Sestini Hlavackova/Barbora Strycova and Elise Mertens/Demi Schuurs have qualified for the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, taking place from October 21-28, 2018.

The pairings become the third and fourth teams to secure their spot at the $7 million year-end event, joining Barbora Krejcikova/Katerina Siniakova and Kristina Mladenovic/Timea Babos in Singapore, with four spots remaining.

Sestini Hlavackova and Strycova started their consistent partnership with a stellar clay court season, including a runner-up finish at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia (Rome) and semifinal showings at Roland Garros and the Mutua Madrid Open. The pair lifted their first title as a team at the Connecticut Open (New Haven) and reached two additional finals, at the Toray Pan Pacific Open (Tokyo) and the Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open to secure their debut appearance as a team at the WTA Finals.

Sestini Hlavackova will make her fifth appearance at the year-end event, and her fourth consecutive showing. She returns as the defending champion in Singapore, where she lifted the WTA Finals Martina Navratilova Trophy alongside Timea Babos in 2017. Strycova is set to make her debut at the WTA Finals.

“It’s a great honor to qualify for the WTA Finals in Singapore,” said Sestini Hlavackova. “Winning the title last year is one of my favorite memories, so I look forward to coming back and try to defend my title.”

Strycova added, “I’m excited for my first WTA Finals experience. Qualifying for Singapore has been one of my goals and I am happy to finally make it.”

Mertens and Schuurs earn their career first qualification at the WTA Finals after reaching a tour-leading five doubles finals this season, most recently winning their third title of 2018 today at Wuhan. The Belgian-Dutch duo also lifted the trophies at the Hobart International and Libéma Open (‘s-Hertogenbosch), and finished runners-up at the Nature Valley Classic (Birmingham) and Western & Southern Open (Cincinnati). They also reached the quarterfinal stage at the US Open and the semifinals at the Miami Open.

“We are happy to qualify for the WTA Finals for the first time in our careers,” said Mertens. Schuurs added, “Elise and I have had an incredible season together. We look forward to ending the season on a high note with some great matches in Singapore.”

Staged at the Singapore Sports Hub from October 21-28, the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global is a 10-day tennis festival featuring the world’s best players vying for a US$7 million in prize money and two of the most prestigious titles in women’s tennis. The Top 8 singles players will compete in a round-robin format with the winner taking home the Billie Jean King Trophy. The Top 8 doubles teams will compete in a knock-out format for the WTA Finals Martina Navratilova Trophy.

The Porsche Race to Singapore Leaderboard is updated each Monday (every two weeks during Grand Slams events) and can be found at www.WTAFinals.com.

Tickets to the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global are on sale at www.WTAFinals.com, an immersive one-stop destination for all things tournament-related, bringing fans the latest news from the top players on their journey on the Porsche Race to Singapore.

The WTA is the global leader in women’s professional sport with more than 2,500 players representing nearly 100 nations competing for a record $146 million in prize money. The 2018 WTA competitive season includes 54 events and four Grand Slams in 30 countries. In 2017, the WTA was watched around the world by a total TV audience of 500 million. The 2018 WTA competitive season concludes with the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global from October 21-28, 2018 and the Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy in Zhuhai, China from October 30-November 4, 2018.

News Release
    October 1, 2018

Naomi Osaka Earns Career First Qualification at 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global
    US Open champion to make debut appearance at prestigious WTA Finals

Becomes third-ever Japanese player to qualify, and first in 15 years
    Earns the third of eight singles spots at the year-end showpiece

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA – The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced today that Japan’s Naomi Osaka has qualified for the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, set to take place from October 21-28, 2018. She becomes the third player to secure her spot at the $7 million year-end event, joining Simona Halep and Angelique Kerber in the singles field with five more spots left for grabs.

Osaka has enjoyed a season of firsts in 2018, highlighted by clinching her maiden Grand Slam title at the US Open, defeating Serena Williams in the championship match. Earlier this season, she lifted her career first WTA title at the BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells). Osaka also went on a 10-match winning streak between the US Open title and reaching her third final of the season at the Toray Pan Pacific Open (Tokyo).

In addition, Osaka reached the round of 16 at the Australian Open, semifinals at the Nature Valley Open (Nottingham) and the quarterfinals at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

“Qualifying for the WTA Finals is a huge accomplishment,” said Osaka. “Winning the WTA Rising Stars Invitational in 2015 helped give me the confidence to play on the big stages so I am excited to go back to Singapore and compete with the top players of the season.”

In 2015, Osaka competed and won the 2015 WTA Rising Stars Invitational as part of the WTA Finals, introducing fans to the next generation of women's tennis stars at the WTA's biggest event of the year. In the final, Osaka defeated Caroline Garcia on the same stage as the Top 8 singles and doubles players competed for the WTA Finals trophies.

Osaka is set to make her debut appearance at the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, becoming the third-ever player from Japan to qualify for the year-end event, and first in 15 years when Ai Sugiyama did so in 2003.

Staged at the Singapore Sports Hub from October 21-28, the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global is a 10-day tennis festival featuring the world’s best players vying for a US$7 million in prize money and two of the most prestigious titles in women’s tennis. The Top 8 singles players will compete in a round-robin format with the winner taking home the Billie Jean King Trophy. The Top 8 doubles teams will compete in a knock-out format for the WTA Finals Martina Navratilova Trophy.

The Porsche Race to Singapore Leaderboard is updated each Monday (every two weeks during Grand Slams events) and can be found at www.WTAFinals.com.

The winner of the Porsche Race to Singapore - the player who sits at No.1 in singles leading into the WTA Finals - will not only seal a spot at the season-ending showpiece, but also be congratulated with a new Porsche 718 Boxster GTS.

Tickets to the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global are on sale at www.WTAFinals.com, an immersive one-stop destination for all things tournament-related, bringing fans the latest news from the top players on their journey on the Porsche Race to Singapore.

Click here to read more.

The WTA is the global leader in women’s professional sport with more than 2,500 players representing nearly 100 nations competing for a record $146 million in prize money. The 2018 WTA competitive season includes 54 events and four Grand Slams in 30 countries. In 2017, the WTA was watched around the world by a total TV audience of 500 million. The 2018 WTA competitive season concludes with the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global from October 21-28, 2018 and the Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy in Zhuhai, China from October 30-November 4, 2018.

Further information on the WTA can be found at www.wtatennis.com, facebook.com/WTA and twitter.com/WTA.

October 4, 2018
    Petra Kvitova and Caroline Wozniacki Book Their Spots at 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global
    Kvitova to make sixth appearance at prestigious WTA Finals, as a former champion in 2011, following a tour-leading five titles this season
    Australian Open champion Wozniacki returns to Singapore as the defending champion and a former finalist in 2010
    The Czech and Dane become fourth and fifth of eight singles players to qualify for the year-end showpiece

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA – The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced today that Petra Kvitova and Caroline Wozniacki have qualified for the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, set to take place from October 21-28, 2018. Kvitova and Wozniacki join Simona Halep, Angelique Kerber and Naomi Osaka in the singles field, with three more spots left for grabs.

Kvitova owns a tour-leading 47 match wins this season including a tour-leading five WTA singles titles, highlighted by her third career WTA Premier Mandatory crown at the Mutua Madrid Open. She also lifted the trophies at the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy, Qatar Total Open (Doha), J&T Banka Prague Open and successfully defended her title at the Nature Valley Classic (Birmingham).

The Czech star has earned her sixth qualification at the WTA Finals, having previously made five consecutive showings from 2011-15. On her debut in 2011, she went 3-0 in the group stage and defeated Victoria Azarenka to lift the WTA Finals Billie Jean King Trophy. In her most recent appearance in 2015, Kvitova reached the championship match, falling to eventual champion Agnieszka Radwanska.

“It’s a huge honor to qualify for the WTA Finals again,” said Kvitova. “It will be my first time back there since I came back to tennis so it means a lot to me and has always been one of my big goals for the season. I can’t wait to visit Singapore again, especially in the tournament's final year there.”

Wozniacki books her spot at the WTA Finals Singapore following a stellar year which saw the Dane capture her first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open, catapulting her back to the WTA World No.1 ranking for the first time in exactly six years. She also lifted the trophy at the Nature Valley International (Eastbourne) and reached the final at the season-opening ASB Classic (Auckland).

Earning her sixth WTA Finals qualification, Wozniacki returns as the defending champion in Singapore, where she defeated Venus Williams to lift the Billie Jean King Trophy in 2017. She is also a former finalist at the WTA Finals, having reached the championship match in 2010 when the tournament was held in Doha. Additionally, she has posted two semifinal results, on her debut in 2009 and in 2014.

“I’m very happy to qualify for the WTA Finals,” said Wozniacki. “Winning the WTA Finals last year was a huge accomplishment for me, and helped my confidence leading into this season. I look forward to coming back to Singapore to try and defend my title.”

The winner of the Porsche Race to Singapore - the player who sits at No.1 in singles leading into the WTA Finals - will not only seal a spot at the season-ending showpiece, but also be congratulated with a new Porsche 718 Boxster GTS.

Further information on the WTA can be found at www.wtatennis.com, facebook.com/WTA and twitter.com/WTA.

6 Sloane - 3943
    7 Svitolina - 3850
    8 Pliskova - 3720
    9 Bertens - 3710
    10 Sabalenka - 3145 (SF-3320, RU-3580, W-3930)
    17 Sevastova - 2625 (W-3410)

These are the contenders before the quarterfinals of Beijing are played. Sabalenka must win her QF against Wang to stay in the running. Sevastova is still in the running, but only if she wins the title here.

Pliskova, Bertens, and Sabalenka are entered in tournaments the next two weeks.

Svitolina and Sevastova are entered in one.

Sloane is entered in zero.

The biggest battle is between #8 Pliskova and #9 Bertens, only ten points apart and playing as much as possible. With Sloane not playing, Svitolina slumping, and Halep injured, I like the chances of both Pliskova and Bertens getting in.

Halep will not play so the only suspense is whether Sabalenka could squeeze in.
    Roger forever

It's all over now and we know our 8 participants. There is still a big uncertainty about year end #2 rankings, though
    Roger forever

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Awww...no one going to be able to jump in last second in one of the tournaments for a chance to get in? That's one of the funnest parts of this!
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    It's all over now and we know our 8 participants. There is still a big uncertainty about year end #2 rankings, though
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Awww...no one going to be able to jump in last second in one of the tournaments for a chance to get in? That's one of the funnest parts of this!
    Suliso is assuming that Halep will 100% pull out of the YEC, based on her being diagnosed with a herniated disc in her back a few days ago. I've been thinking that she'd show up anyway, probably lose her first match, then pull out. I just went to her Twitter to check for an update.

Not so fast! Despite back injury, doctors clear Simona Halep to play out the season. https://nyti.ms/2Qs4hLa @nytimes @NYTSports @Simona_Halep @WTA @WTAFinalsSG #tennis
    https://twitter.com/johnmclarkejr/st...74985746010112

It'll be a mad dash! Only 233 points separate #6 from #9, and #6 isn't playing any tournaments. Any of the four could get boxed out.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that #7 Svitolina is the one who misses out. I think she'd be a total non-factor.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

I'm a stats guy, so watching the race for the last couple of spots is one of my favorite parts of the year.

I had to go back through Svitolina's results to see why she even is in this race at all. Since winning Dubai in February she only has one final (won Rome) and one other semifinal (Montreal.) She has not done much lately at all.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    I'm a stats guy, so watching the race for the last couple of spots is one of my favorite parts of the year.

I had to go back through Svitolina's results to see why she even is in this race at all. Since winning Dubai in February she only has one final (won Rome) and one other semifinal (Montreal.) She has not done much lately at all.
    It helps when only one top 10 player makes the quarters at either Wimbledon or the US Open.

Halep would be a fool to play. Back injuries and tennis are no joke.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

News Release
    October 6, 2018

Dabrowski/Xu, Klepac/Martínez Sánchez, Melichar/Peschke and Barty/Vandeweghe Qualify to Complete Doubles Field for 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global

Teams of Gabriela Dabrowski/Xu Yifan and Andreja Klepac/María José Martínez Sánchez return to Singapore for the second straight year

Nicole Melichar/Kveta Peschke and Ashleigh Barty/CoCo Vandeweghe to make first showing as a pair at the WTA Finals

The doubles field is now set for the year-end showpiece event

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA – The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced today that the doubles teams of Gabriela Dabrowski/Xu Yifan, Andreja Klepac/María José Martínez Sánchez, Nicole Melichar/Kveta Peschke and Ashleigh Barty/CoCo Vandeweghe have qualified for the 2018 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, set to take place from October 21-28.

The doubles field is now set, with these players joining the teams of Barbora Krejcikova/Katerina Siniakova, Timea Babos/Kristina Mladenovic, Andrea Sestini Hlavackova/Barbora Strycova and Elise Mertens/Demi Schuurs in Singapore.

Dabrowski/Xu and Klepac/Martinez Sanchez Set to Return to Singapore
    Canada’s Dabrowski and China’s Xu earned their spot at the WTA Finals after lifting two trophies this season, at the Sydney International and Nature Valley International (Eastbourne). The pair also reached the semifinals at Wimbledon, as well as at the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy, BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells) and Toray Pan Pacific Open (Tokyo). The pair is currently through to the semifinals at the China Open.

Xu and Dabrowski are set to make their second appearance at the year-end finale, having qualified as a team last year, falling to Ekaterina Makarova/Elena Vesnina in the opening round.

The Slovenian-Spanish team of Klepac and Martínez Sánchez reached four finals this season, lifting the trophy at the Mallorca Open where they defeated former WTA Doubles World No.1 Lucie Safarova and Barbora Stefkova in the final. The pair also advanced to the championship match at the Brisbane International presented by Suncorp, Qatar Total Open (Doha) and the Volvo Car Open (Charleston).

Klepac and Martínez Sánchez will make their second straight appearance as a team at the WTA Finals after qualifying last year, falling to the eventual champions Timea Babos/Andrea Sestini Hlavackova in the opening round. Martínez Sánchez returns as a former champion, having lifted the Martina Navratilova Doubles Trophy in 2009 (alongside Llagostera Vives) while Klepac will be making her second career showing at the year-end event.

Peschke Returns to WTA Finals for Seventh Time With New Partner Melichar
    Melichar, from the United States, and the Czech Republic’s Peschke will make their debut showing as a team at the WTA Finals after reaching three finals this season, clinching the title at the J&T Banka Prague Open and finishing as runners-up at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (Stuttgart) and Wimbledon. The pair also reached the semifinals at the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank (Montreal) and the Nürnberger Versicherungscup.

Melichar has earned her first ever qualification at the WTA Finals, while Peschke will be appearing in her seventh edition of the year-end event. The Czech is a two-time finalist, in 2010 and 2011 at Istanbul (w/Katarina Srebotnik). In her most recent appearance in 2017, Peschke fell in the opening round to Latisha Chan/Martina Hingis while partnering Germany’s Anna-Lena Groenefeld.

US Open Champions Barty/Vandeweghe Round Out Doubles Field
    Australia’s Barty and the United States’ Vandeweghe teamed up for the first time in their careers in March, and enjoyed a great start together by winning the Miami Open presented by Itaú, which was only their second tournament together. The pair went on to win their debut Grand Slam title at the US Open.

Barty returns to the WTA Finals for the second consecutive year, having qualified with Casey Dellacqua in 2017. Meanwhile this will be Vandeweghe’s debut appearance at the season-ending event.

The Porsche Race to Singapore Leaderboard is updated each Monday (every two weeks during Grand Slam events) and can be found at www.WTAFinals.com.

Click here to read more.

October 8, 2018

Five Players to Battle for Final Three Spots at WTA Finals Sinapore

Five players are battling for the final three spots at the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, including Kiki Bertens (competing in Linz this week), Karolina Pliskova and Aryna Sabalenka (competing in Tianjin this week), Sloane Stephens, and Elina Svitolina (competing in Hong Kong this week).

Three players secured their spots at the WTA Finals last week during the China Open in Beijing. US Open champion Naomi Osaka will make her career first showing at the year-end event, while 2011 champion Petra Kvitova and the defending champion Caroline Wozniacki will both make their sixth appearances at the WTA Finals.

The doubles field is set for Singapore, as the teams Gabriela Dabrowski/Xu Yifan, Andreja Klepac/María José Martínez Sánchez, Nicole Melichar/Kveta Peschke, and Ashleigh Barty/CoCo Vandeweghe earned their spots last week in Beijing.

The Top 8 singles players and doubles teams of 2018 will secure their spot at the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, taking place October 21-28, 2018. The singles winner of the Porsche Race to Singapore - the player who sits at No.1 leading into the WTA Finals - will not only seal a spot at the season-ending showpiece, but also be congratulated with a new Porsche 718 Boxster GTS.

Click here to read more on this week's Porsche Race to Singapore Leaderboard.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast