Agree Agree:  16
Likes Likes:  19
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: Figure Skating - 2018

JazzNU, Agreed. In the US, I would see Michelle Kwan as a pretty good comparison financially to Yu Na Kim. But that is without actually knowing the numbers for either. If what we hear about Yu Na's advertising value in Korea is true, she may be much wealthier than Michelle ever dreamed of.

But still, Michelle is the best US example, because she was not only quite talented and managed to have a lengthy career at or near the top, but even more, her wealth is due to the luck she had by the fact that her career happened exactly when skating had that meteoric rise in popularity in the US after the thwack on the knee. I have often said that Michelle Kwan owes a great deal of her wealth to Tonya Harding (or Tonya's thugs). Obviously, I'm just joking when I say that, but one could certainly make the case that she earned far more because the thwack happened than she would have.

Skating is not nearly as popular now here as it was. And there are many reasons for that, some of which are the fault of the national federations and the ISU. So now, it is indeed fortunate (as JazzNU pointed out) that the top skaters can now earn prize money and endorsement deals during their time of participation in "eligible" competition. Pro competitions and shows have lost almost all chance of being significantly lucrative.

GH

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    As for Orser's hourly. It's plenty high. The last thing figure skating needs is to become more expensive. They are not attracting skaters in droves as is, it really is an expensive sport and it does not get the interest it once did. They also want the most talented skaters, not the wealthiest ones, and that's all what will happen if Orser and other coaches charged something truly insane like $500/hour, it's almost already what happens right now. And these sporting federations definitely do not have unlimited coffers.
    I'm not advocating for skating to become more expensive, I'm just surprised Brian Orser's hourly billing rate is only slightly more than what my mom charges 5-year-olds for a piano lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I'm not advocating for skating to become more expensive, I'm just surprised Brian Orser's hourly billing rate is only slightly more than what my mom charges 5-year-olds for a piano lesson.
    First, I'd say Go Mom!

But for Orser, I think a huge issue with his hourly, is that he is probably spending 20 hours a week with these skaters. If that's the case, $500/hour puts that at $10k a week. At those prices, in tennis terms, his only clients would ever be Cici Bellis, Jessica Pegula and Ernests Gulbis. If he was spending a lot less time with them, something closer to consulting and not coaching, maybe he would charge more per hour. He probably charges $150-200/hour now, and has multiple skaters training, so it works out well for him.

I agree with that assessment of both time and charges. Given the number of elite skaters he has, he is not going hungry. GH

Figure Skating's latest edition of "As The Stomach Churns" or should it be "As The Blade Slices"?

icenetwork
    ‏Verified account
    @icenetwork

More
    U.S. Figure Skating announces that Alexa Scimeca-Knierim and Chris Knierim have left Dalilah Sappenfield and will now train part of the time with Alexander König and Jean-Francois Ballester (Aliona Savchenko & Bruno Massot's coaches) in Oberstdorf as well as in Chicago.

No word on who the Knierims will train with in the Chicago area.

Announcement reads the Knierims "will begin training with Aljona Savchenko and her coaching team this summer."
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Sappenfield is a perfectly competent coach. But the Knierims are going nowhere internationally. I don't know how much (if any) of that is the coach's fault, since I see them as being at a talent level below the top pairs. But if they are going to continue to try to move up internationally, this is certainly one thing they can try that might bring some success. Like it or not, the US is simply not one of the top countries in pairs at the moment. The fact that they are our "top" pair is complete proof of that.

When I saw Ti's note and read her opening comment and then saw the Knierims' names, I thought.....for it to be this juicy, they must be splitting up and each taking a new pairs' partner. What she had as news is juicy enough, but I thought it might be even juicier.

GH

The article I read about this suggests Aliona will be coaching them as well as her existing coaching team, but she's on hiatus from competition, so I think it's safe to say she's taking on coaching duties here.

Now, the old coach Sappenfield, the article I read, said this is a difficult split for the pair and coach, who officiated their wedding. Ouch. Sounds like they are ditching an a member of the family when put like that.

"on hiatus from competition"??????

I don't follow the skating news that much, but are you suggesting that Savchenko is not actually retiring? I actually hope you are right, but at her age, I pretty much assumed she was done after this magnificent season. Their long program this year was one for the ages. (and the short program was excellent as well)

GH

I don't follow skating much anymore either. The word "hiatus" was my own. But here's the article I read. It says she announced an "indefinite break from competition". I also would've thought she'd just retire, had assumed the Olympics were her definite swan song since she won gold.

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/Ma...jona-Savchenko

Sydney Maria Hueber
    ‏@hueber_sydney

--> The Chinese Skating Association has informed the ISU that they are unable to host any ISU Event during the 18'/19'season.

'ISU GP of Figure Skating, originally planned to be held as Cup of China in China, preferably to be held in the Republic of Korea on November 2-4, 2018.'

*' ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating (including Pair Skating), originally planned to be held in Harbin/China on September 19-22, 2018, now to be held in Vancouver, Canada, on September 12-15, 2018.'

'Shanghai Trophy, originally planned to be held on September 29-October 1, 2018 in Shanghai/China, cannot be replaced and the season 2018/19 edition is cancelled.'

For the moment COC is listed as TBA on the ISU website because they're waiting for a confirmation from the South Korean Federation on June 25th , if the answer is negative they will consider another place ...

well for sure it can seems bizarre but I saw the mail and it's 100% legit so now we just need to wait for Official announcements ...

it was a mail send by ISU for the media .
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Late to the party, but Vincent Zhou's April exhibition take on "Take On Me" has me grinning like a fool:

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Late to the party, but Vincent Zhou's April exhibition take on "Take On Me" has me grinning like a fool
    That was fun! He did much better with that than I would've thought.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345