Agree Agree:  16
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Figure Skating - 2018

Nick McCarvel Verified account @NickMcCarvel
    3m3 minutes ago
    Virtue/Moir: Won't be at Worlds, "but we're gonna take 2 minutes on 'R' word," Scott says about retirement

Papadakis/Cizeron: "Yes we'll be there"

Shibutanis: Right now, unsure if they'll go to Milan or not #PyeongChang2018
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I'll be interested in seeing who skips Worlds that was also in the team competition. It's so unusual for them to do basically 2 competitions during one event and the Shibs, Carolina, Radford/Duhamel and probably a couple that I'm missing, all did that. A few others did close to that with one team performance plus their category's short and free. Worlds was sparsely attended after the Olympics anyway, I'd think this would handicap countries in medal contention even more.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

I was able to watch most of the Free Dance for a change (as opposed to just the top skaters) -- the difference was appalling. With total scores in the 40's, and errors that even I could see -- what a difference. Then they got to the last groups - WOW. The quality was outstanding, as we are used to seeing -- the Shibs and Hubbell/Donahue wwent into the FS virtually tied and I felt the scores could have gone either way. V/M outstanding as usual, as were P/C -- fun to watch.

The commentary was a refreshing change as well -- Tanith kept her mouth shut and let me just enjoy the skate, with comments where appropriate. I personally am tired of Johnny and Tara and their near-constant chatter which distracts from the visual picture. Just my opinion of course, feel free to disagree.

Looking forward to Ladies Short this evening at 4PM Pacific time --

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I have to say I don't recall a figure skating competition in which I so thoroughly enjoyed ice dancing. I've always watched it with one eye while doing something else with the other. But the ice dancing at these olympics had my full attention. I've fallen in love with the Shibutanis. And Virtue and Moir, especially, were just breathtaking. I can totally understand how someone could have an emotional reaction watching both them and Papadakis and Cizeron perform. With such a close finish at the top you have to wonder if the result would have been different had P&C not suffered that unfortunate wardrobe malfunction.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

This post by Mirai Nagasu gave me pause and I had to try and remember if she competed at any of the Grand Prix events.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfiPdK2n...by=mirainagasu

If I'm reading this article correctly Mirai went to Japan but I think that's it?

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/0...x-assignments/

There's one right after it bemoaning the fall off in the competitive level of US women.

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/0...for-next-step/
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I'm not sure I understand. What's the question you're asking about Mirai? If she competed at all in Grand Prix this season? At Grand Prix in Japan this season? Answer is yes to both. What about her post gave you pause?

That she was able to go home at her last Olympics and wasn't able to this time around, implying she was homesick and that that affected her performance.

Then I went on Twitter and found this.

Philip Hersh‏
    @olyphil
    More
    It apparently took Mirai Nagasu less than 10 minutes in the mixed zone Friday to undo the positive image created in all the favorable stories written about her in the last six weeks.
    This is what he is reacting to.

Unfazed by Finishing 10th, Mirai Nagasu Criticized U.S. Teammates and Said Skate Was a TV Audition

By MICHAEL ROSENBERG February 23, 2018
    GANGNEUN, South Korea—It always happens at the Olympics: First the figure skaters fall, and then the tears do. Makeup and glamorous outfits are the sport’s disguise. The Olympic individual free skate is one of the most tension-filled events in sports. It’s like the back nine on Sunday at the Masters: The athletes are out there all alone, with no teammates, just thoughts and demons in a sport that requires extreme precision under pressure.

Karen Chen of the U.S. fell, then said, “I am extremely disappointed. I’m not going to lie. I train myself to skate better than that.” She ended her media interviews in tears.

Gabrielle Daleman of Canada was an emotional wreck as she talked about the nausea that built up inside her two minutes before her skate. She could not hold back tears as she said, “There was nothing in that program I felt good about. I feel bad about dragging my dad and my brother [here] from Canada.”

And the U.S.’s Mirai Nagasu, who arrived here with high hopes but finished 12th in the free skate and 10th overall, said, “I smiled in the middle of my program, which is really rare for me. So I enjoyed myself, and I thought of this as my audition for Dancing With the Stars.”

Um, what?

“I would like to be on Dancing With the Stars because I want to be a star,” Nagasu said.

She was still smiling. There was no hint of disappointment in her voice. She seemed to think she’d been chosen out of the audience on a cruise ship to go on stage for a magic trick. There was no indication that she knew this was the Olympic Games.

Nagasu is the only woman here who had a triple axel in her program. But when it came time to try the triple in her free skate, she aborted the jump. Well, again: This is an extremely tense event. Failure is part of it. If Nagasu caved to the pressure of the moment, she only gets empathy from this corner. We have all been there.

But then she said, “Although I got zero points for my attempt at the triple axel, in my mind I went for it.” And I wanted to put my hand on her forehead to see if she was running a fever. Maybe she went for it in her mind. On the ice, she bailed. There was a reason she got zero points. Bailing is understandable; the explanation was not.

Nagasu has had an amazing and difficult career. She skated in the 2010 Games, then was devastated after being left off the 2014 team. She worked her way onto this year's team. Maybe the pressure got to her here—not just on the ice, but afterward.

She fluttered through the interview like a butterfly at a funeral, oblivious to everything happening around her. Bizarre only begins to describe it. She even took shots at other skaters, though it was unclear if she even realized she was doing it.

“I saved the team event, with Adam [Rippon] and the Shibutanis,” she said. “We were about to lose our medals. So today I put my [bronze] medal in my pocket. Here she is! And I said, ‘Mirai, you’ve done your job already. This is all just icing.’”

There is a lot to unpack there, starting with referring to the medal as “she.” Why not name it? I’d go with Bobbie Mae, as a nod to Bronze Medal. But let’s focus on what she said about the team event.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/02/...ating-team-usa

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Not really related to the bizarre comments, but I guess skaters benefit from being able to go home. The Russian women did go home between the team event and individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Not really related to the bizarre comments, but I guess skaters benefit from being able to go home. The Russian women did go home between the team event and individuals.
    I did not know that. I take back what I said about Mirai being homesick then.

I think the SI interview could've been spun as Mirai struggling to deal with what happened and failing so far. That is what I get from her comments.

I think Tara said it best last night. The Russians made changes to their program five years before the US (in 2010) and that the US didn't try and upgrade their program until 2015. It shows. All of our skaters need to upgrade their level of performance whether or not the rules are changed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    That she was able to go home at her last Olympics and wasn't able to this time around, implying she was homesick and that that affected her performance.
    Ah, I see. I read that differently. My reading of it was that when she went to the Olympics in Vancouver, it was so close to home, so she went back after Opening ceremonies and returned for the ladies event (there was no team competition until Sochi). And that this year, she had to manage being in the Olympic Village for 3 weeks straight and didn't anticipate how much different that would be than her last Olympic experience and it takes a lot of mental strength to persevere during that time, especially properly managing your time, hence giving props to fellow Olympians who handle the situation well. That's how I read that message.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Ah, I see. I read that differently. My reading of it was that when she went to the Olympics in Vancouver, it was so close to home, so she went back after Opening ceremonies and returned for the ladies event (there was no team competition until Sochi). And that this year, she had to manage being in the Olympic Village for 3 weeks straight and didn't anticipate how much different that would be than her last Olympic experience and it takes a lot of mental strength to persevere during that time, especially properly managing your time, hence giving props to fellow Olympians who handle the situation well. That's how I read that message.
    After reading mmmm8's post I think your reading is correct.

Philip Hersh
    ‏@olyphil
    Following Following @olyphil
    More
    Alexandra Trusova’s planned FS content for #WorldJFigure this week (note the opening jump.)

That's quite an ambitious program isn't it?

Video of the above program. The Tech scores were in the 90's.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was just sick.

EDIT: By the way, she probably got close to full credit for the quad salchow, and she attempted a quad loop as well that she landed--but it was clearly under-rotated. It's still sick, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    That was just sick.

EDIT: By the way, she probably got close to full credit for the quad salchow, and she attempted a quad loop as well that she landed--but it was clearly under-rotated. It's still sick, though.
    The 4-Toe was called fully rotated. Looking at the replay it looks like it was close enough. Anything less than a 1/4 turn is considered fully rotated. Considering she tried this jump a month ago, for the first time in competition, and missed it, I think we'll see a better version next season.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast