Agree Agree:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Tennis on TV in 2018

Tennis Watchers Weekly Guide Alert

7/23/18-7/29/18

With Wimbledon firmly in the rear view mirror, the North American hard court kicks off this week in Atlanta. Lucky for us here at Tennis Watchers, we can avoid the heat and humidity, and turn up the AC and turn on our TVs!

This week marks the return of ESPN into our tennis watching schedule, with coverage of Atlanta on ESPN2 and WatchESPN. Tennis Channel and TennisTV will carry Hamburg. beIN will also pick up some ATP coverage with late week timeslots for Gstaad, and beIN will also carry its usual WTA matches in Nanchang. This week also debuts the Moscow River Cup, which replaces the WTA event in Bastad. beIN will also carry Moscow in its main channel and streaming platform.

https://onedrive.live.com/View.aspx?...NQsaN4m_AyeVGI
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've not been able to find Atlanta matches anywhere. Which isn't a big deal because I'd rather watch Hamburg. But after matches are done in Hamburg, are Atlanta matches televised at all? Or is ESPN2 coverage starting later in the week (e.g., QFs)?
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I've not been able to find Atlanta matches anywhere. Which isn't a big deal because I'd rather watch Hamburg. But after matches are done in Hamburg, are Atlanta matches televised at all? Or is ESPN2 coverage starting later in the week (e.g., QFs)?
    You need the ESPN app and a streaming device or tablet. So far I haven't had to use ESPN+
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    You need the ESPN app and a streaming device or tablet. So far I haven't had to use ESPN+
    But the release for this week stated ESPN2 would cover Atlanta. There has been nothing so far, so I guess it starts later this week.

Sidebar: In my quest to find some obscure channel broadcasting Atlanta matches, I accidentally stumbled across a BeIn channel (620 on DIRECTV) I did not know I had. It is showing taped Moscow River matches.
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

2018 Week 31 7/30/18-8/5/18

The North American Summer is in full swing. The combined Citi Open is in Washington DC as well as the debut of the new WTA San Jose tournament, which takes the place of Stanford. San Jose will be on ESPN 2 and ESPN 3.

Kitzbühel will be streamed on TennisTV, while Los Cabos will have late week coverage on both beIN and TennisTV

2018 Week 32 8/6/18-8/12/18

The US Open Series heads up north for Week 32. This year, the WTA will be in Montreal, while the ATP sets up shop in Toronto.

This week sees the trio of ESPN, beIN, and Tennis Channel covering the events, as well as streaming via WTA and Tennis TV.

2018 Week 33 8/13/18-8/19/18

Welcome to week 33 of the tennis season. The run up to the US Open continues this week with the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati, OH. Tennis Watchers is on the road this week in Cincy, so this weeks guide is coming a bit earlier than normal. Keep on the lookout for photos coming throughout the week on the Tennis Watchers Facebook page too!

As for viewing, Tennis Channel and ESPN co-op to cover the event, while WTA TV and Tennis TV have you covered while streaming. Get all the info you need below, and enjoy the tennis!

2018 Week 34
    8/21/17-8/27/17

The final week of the US Open Series sees the WTA in New Haven and ATP in Winston-Salem. This also marks the final week before the US Open starts so be sure to keep an eye on the US Open Slam Hub for pre tournament coverage.

As for this weeks matches, ESPN will cover both New Haven and Winston-Salem both streaming on ESPN 3, and late tournament coverage on ESPN 2.

New Haven/Winston-Salem

Tennis Watchers Weekly Guide Alert 9/10/18-9/16/18

We said goodbye to the 2018 slam season this week, but as we know, tennis never stops! This week the WTA has tournaments in Quebec City and Hiroshima City. These will stream via WTA TV, with beIN picking up midweek coverage.

Davis Cup will air on Tennis Channel next weekend.

Tennis Channel is also airing US Open replays throughout the week.

2018 Week 38 9/17/18-9/23/18

Welcome to week 38, tennis watchers! The post US Open swing ramps up with five tournaments on the docket this week. The ATP will be in Metz and St. Petersburg, while the WTA kicks of the Asian swing in Tokyo, Seoul, and Guangzhou.

This week will also have the Laver Cup event. Tennis Channel will air the Laver Cup matches starting live this weekend. Tennis Channel is also airing replays from the 2017 event early in the week.

As always, keep checking this page for updates throughout the week.

All week coverage of St. Petersburg this week on Tennis Channel, FYI. Fairly unusual for a 250 event.

Meanwhile last night BeIn was showing a tape of play from Quèbec - from Friday. And WTA TV didn't show any of Quèbec.

Since I don't get the channel regularly, I wasn't aware of this sooner, but WTA is possibly in even more of a pickle than they ever realized signing on with BeIN Sports. I hope they were smart enough to write in a clause that cancels the contract if something like this transpires, but smart and whoever runs the WTA seems like a stretch.

BeIN Sports was dropped by DirecTV (and AT&T U-Verse) at the end of August in a fee dispute. Seems as if DirecTV says BeIN was raising it's rates and wasn't interested and BeIN says they wanted to be moved into the more widely available packages with no rate change. No idea about the truth, technically speaking both could sort of be true. Either way, BeIN likely overplayed their hand given their recent loss of Serie A coverage.

But in seeing this announcement I saw two others as well - BeIN was dropped by Comcast Xfinity at the beginning of August and Verizon FIOS a few days after that also over fee disputes. The only one of these carriers to negotiate successfully and bring back the BeIN channel to the lineup is FIOS. And they moved BeIN into a lower tier, so it does seem like that's what they are after. On the Comcast front, the dispute has also led to an FCC filing by BeIN saying that Comcast gave unfair preferences to NBCSN that it couldn't get, but the FCC dismissed the claim saying the channels weren't similarly situated.

If you're unaware, Comcast is the largest cable provider in the country and DirecTV is the largest satellite provider, so this is no good for their claim of being the fastest growing sports channel in the US and will make the WTA much less accessible in the US on a year-round basis.

2018 Week 39
    9/24/18-9/30/18
    This week has four tournaments on tap, two for both the WTA and ATP. This week also kicks the 2017 Asian swing off in full as the ATP travels east for Shenzhen and Chengdu. Wuhan has already kicked off for the WTA, and Tashkent will also see kick off.

WTA coverage of Wuhan is fairly comprehensive with beIN/beIN Connect covering the event in addition to WTA TV. The ATP tournaments are lacking this week in terms of live coverage. TennisTV will have streams, but Tennis Channel does not have many coverage blocks set aside. Instead, Tennis Channel will have multiple Laver Cup replays, as well as, some classic tour matches throughout the week.

Enjoy the tennis!

2018 Week 40 9/28/18-10/8/18

This week there are two major tournaments in the fall calendar, with the WTA and ATP both in Beijing for the China Open, and the ATP takes over in Tokyo

As usual, WTA action will be on beIN this week, with ATP on Tennis Channel and TennisTV. Tennis Channel will have replays of the overnight matches all day, every day following the close of the live matches.

As always, keep checking this page for updates throughout the week.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast