Agree Agree:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Tennis on TV in 2018

Tennis Watchers Weekly Guide Alert

It is time to break out the strawberries and cream, Tennis Watchers. Wimbledon is here! The Tennis Watchers Slam HQ has you covered for the fortnight, so check out the link below for all the info you need to catch this years championship.

https://tenniswatchers.com/wimbledon/
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I'm rather annoyed with the split thus far offered by WatchESPN/ESPN 3 vs. ESPN Plus for Wimbledon. Maybe this will end up working out for them, but it seems like a great way to piss off existing subscribers and their existing contracts (cable and internet providers) to put the lion's share of the content behind the ESPN Plus pay wall. Although we're certainly paying attention to tennis, I can see this is happening with most other sports as well, so this is the plan. It'll be interesting to see if the US Open takes a similar approach or if they'll have gotten enough backlash on this new push by then.

They've lost a lot of money because of cord cutters, but their bread is still buttered by cable subscribers, and getting even a million cord cutters onto ESPN Plus can't even pay for their NFL and NBA contracts, let alone the entire network. So not sure what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I'm rather annoyed with the split thus far offered by WatchESPN/ESPN 3 vs. ESPN Plus for Wimbledon. Maybe this will end up working out for them, but it seems like a great way to piss off existing subscribers and their existing contracts (cable and internet providers) to put the lion's share of the content behind the ESPN Plus pay wall. Although we're certainly paying attention to tennis, I can see this is happening with most other sports as well, so this is the plan. It'll be interesting to see if the US Open takes a similar approach or if they'll have gotten enough backlash on this new push by then.

They've lost a lot of money because of cord cutters, but their bread is still buttered by cable subscribers, and getting even a million cord cutters onto ESPN Plus can't even pay for their NFL and NBA contracts, let alone the entire network. So not sure what they're doing.
    Is ESPN Plus available to non-cable-subscribers, and does it have just a selection of matches, not all? Just curious.

It’s an interesting war. In general, people are winning in the battle of paying only for what we want to watch and not hundreds of other channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    it seems like a great way to piss off existing subscribers and their existing contracts (cable and internet providers) to put the lion's share of the content behind the ESPN Plus pay wall.
    It's only the lion's share of the content if you're an avid tennis fan. In general the big name matches for the casual viewer/cable tv subscriber have been on ESPN 2 or 3 so far. If you're a hard core tennis fan, they want you to pay extra for the + service. Seems to make sense as a business decision to me, and one that won't impact general cable viewership.
    Last edited by MJ2004; 07-04-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Is ESPN Plus available to non-cable-subscribers, and does it have just a selection of matches, not all? Just curious.
    Looks like the answer is yes to both. So if you want to see everything, it's in addition to and not instead of a general ESPN subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post

It’s an interesting war. In general, people are winning in the battle of paying only for what we want to watch and not hundreds of other channels.
    ESPN Plus is definitely available to non-cable subscribers. There is no crossover in what's offered. Problem is, that with this move, they are actually now taking away what they made available to cable subscribers and through their ESPN3 contracts with internet providers. So, it's a strange move. ESPN has been hemorrhaging viewers lately, they cannot risk losing many more, but they can't go the ESPN Plus or bust method and survive as is unless they stop losing cable subscribers. So basically they need people to keep their cable and pay for this extra service along with getting cord cutters to pick up the service.

I feel very comfortable saying some of what's on Plus is way better than what's on ESPN 3 like Gasquet vs. Monfils and Radwanska vs. Safarova.

I'm not saying every single court on ESPN Plus needs to be on ESPN 3, but I'm surprised they have taken away at least 3 additional court coverage they previously gave and replaced them with press conference feeds no one cares about having. Court 2 matches by and large appear to be on ESPN Plus and it gets very good matches.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    So if you want to see everything, it's in addition to and not instead of a general ESPN subscription.
    Between ESPN3 and ESPN+ we've been able to watch all the Wimbledon courts as far as I can tell. Not sure if that will be the case in week 2.

It seems petty for ESPN to charge cable subscribers for access to ESPN+. If we still had cable I'd be ticked off about that, too. Perhaps ESPN doesn't care about alienating cable customers because so many are leaving and there's no place else (that's legal) to go for certain sports? (Not sure if this is backed up by any data, just conjecture.)

We cut the cord from cable TV at least 5 years ago, if I remember rightly. We've had to change our sources for slams every year. So far I really appreciate the month-at-a-time ESPN+ at $5 and hope this will continue next year - if week 2 goes well and if unsubscribing is pain-free, that is - we'll see. It's great for us because we only watch the slams at this point in our lives. Now if only TC would do something like this for Roland Garros.

Just in case you missed it, ESPN Plus has been getting all the Court 2 matches to the point that ESPN barely shares highlights or cut-ins of matches on there. I think they may have shown some of Venus match on there, and maybe they showed Sharapova's, but not much else from what I can tell. I have a big problem with this, we'll see if they change it up next week when less courts are playing singles. Court 2 has featured matches by Djokovic, Nishikori, Del Potro, Muguruza, Cilic, Gasquet, Monfils, Radwanska, Cibulkova, Zverev, and Isner. Now, if they can keep putting Isner there so we don't have to watch him serving for 5 hours, straight that's great, but for the rest, can't claim at this point it's just for the avid tennis fans, those are big names in the sport that aren't available on Watch ESPN and ESPN3.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 07-07-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Court 2 is not on the Direct TV package.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

I was watching Tiafoe vs Khachanov, looked away, didn't touch the AppleTV remote, and all of a sudden Djokovic/Edmund was on.

Of course I immediately tuned back to the match I wanted to watch.

I wasn't aware of the Court 2 situation. I've been switching between ESPN+ and the "Featured" matches. Next week will really be interesting.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Court 2 is not on the Direct TV package.
    No it is not, I'm not happy about it at all as it has some of the better matches with many players I'm interested in watch.

@Ti, that's really strange. I guess I thought the streams were tied to watching a certain court feed.

Whilst trying to use only ESPN live streams to watch the round of 16, we found that the matches on Centre Court were unavailable in English via ESPN3 or ESPN+, so we watched the coverage in Spanish. I'd rather pay for a live-stream tournament pass and have access to matches on all the courts throughout the fortnight in English, but I suppose I am in the minority here and there isn't a market for such a thing?

It's hard with the Slams because aside from the French ESPN controls them.

Honestly if there was a legal way to bypass ESPN in the States that doesn't involve jumping through hoops I for one would be open to it.

Tennis Watchers Weekly Guide Alert
    2018 Week 29
    7/16/18-7/22/18

As we say goodbye to Wimbledon 2018, we say hello to five tournaments across the globe this week. Bucharest, Gstaad, Båstad, Newport, and Umag all open their 2017 tournaments on Monday.

https://onedrive.live.com/View.aspx?...NQsaN4m_AyeVGI

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Honestly if there was a legal way to bypass ESPN in the States that doesn't involve jumping through hoops I for one would be open to it.
    I discovered just yesterday that a branch of my local Y shows ESPN on its weight/cardio room screens, and that I can also get it on the elliptical.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast