Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: 2018 Golden Globes Awards

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Loved that Sam Rockwell won. That was a tricky performance. One wrong note and it could collapse.

Loved McDormand, but I may have chosen Hawkins if I had a say.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
    The clips they showed of Frances were awesome. But Sam is another story. Twitter said quite a lot about his character, though I guess it's the writing of the character and the movie, not the acting they really took issue with. The points I saw raised were very valid though and I'd guess could affect it moving forward into a more US-focused award season.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    The clips they showed of Frances were awesome. But Sam is another story. Twitter said quite a lot about his character, though I guess it's the writing of the character and the movie, not the acting they really took issue with. The points I saw raised were very valid though and I'd guess could affect it moving forward into a more US-focused award season.
    I understand the problems. But, Rockwell made it credible "in the moment"

Don't remind me about Faulkner. I had to write and rewrite a stupid paper on The Sound and the Fury until my stupid ass professor was satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You do know you could find yourself charged with being a dominant species while under the influence of impulse-driven consumerism, don't you? - Terry Pratchett

I love Faulkner, I think he was a genius.
    The Sound and the Fury makes no sense. None. You finish it and you wonder "what was that about?"
    It is Exhibit A in the "The Emperor has no clothes" trial.
    Starry starry night

Yeesh, I actually forgot the Globes were last night. Judging by the results, I missed out on a night of frustration.

I thought Sam Rockwell's was cartoonish in that movie, but maybe that was perfect, since the movie was cartoonish. I'm a little astonished it didn't go to Willem Dafoe, honestly. It was the most mature performance of his long career.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Despite being put in the drama category, Three Billboards has a dark comedic tone to it. Which, to me, made it all the more interesting. It was jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    The Sound and the Fury makes no sense. None. You finish it and you wonder "what was that about?"
    Yes, well, except when you're forced to come up with a detailed answer at age 20. Not so fun.

(Edit: I do really like Faulkner. But he still scarred me.)
    Last edited by MJ2004; 01-08-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Miles, Many thanks for the recommendation.....I'll try to do that. GH

MJ2004, This comment is not meant to be about The Sound and the Fury, which I would still have monumental trouble writing about coherently. But age, with the resulting life experiences, is the big factor when it comes to writing essays about literature. When I was in college, I had amazing trouble writing essays about literature, and thankfully, freshman English was the only time I had to do so. Even my best efforts were lousy (both by my and the teachers' assessments). But in the last 4 years, I've taken about 8 Spanish courses where writing papers was beyond common (one recent semester I had 2 courses, Spanish Culture and Spanish-American Literature, at the same time.....at the end of the semester, I had written 223 pages of papers, double-spaced, all in Spanish). All 8 of these courses have involved TNTC papers evaluating literature. And now my problem is that I have TOO much to say. I can go on and on about any one of them, and now it comes across as deep and making profound sense (though I still admit to a bit of a BS factor sometimes). So when you're in your mid-sixties, re-visit writing about Faulkner and I bet even that will come far more easily for you. When we write in-class essays now, I almost have trouble with my pencil keeping up with my thoughts. And I can feel all of the 19-year-olds around me sitting there with pencils in hand having great trouble finding one more thing to say about Pablo Neruda's "Walking Around" or whatever the poem of the day is.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I haven't seen The Post, so I'm sure the nomination is well deserved, but I wonder how bad the movie or the acting would have to be before Meryl Streep wasn't nominated for awards.

I'd love to see them put a fake movie on the ballot to see how many votes she gets. They could go a step further and make a documentary about the process. Dummy up a script that seems to satisfy all the typical awards bingo, then create some buzz about it. "It's called Mrs. Witherbottom Goes To Market, and Meryl Streep is attached! She's going to be a no nonsense matriarch... in a period piece... with an accent!" When she shows up on the ballot, the voters will think it came out at the last minute, and they just missed it. They'll be too offended about not getting a free screener copy to sniff out the lie.
    This is a fantastic idea. What's stopping you?
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    This is a fantastic idea. What's stopping you?
    You have no idea how the entertainment industry works, do you?
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123