Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 2018 Golden Globes Awards

Charlie, I'm not sure if you speak of the HFPA boobs, who can easily be bought and get away with nonsense such as putting Get Out in the Best Musical/Comedy category, and no doubt the industry if full of idiots, but when it comes to award season -- people do watch the movies, made all the easier because of screeners.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

So far the Globes are getting all the acting categories right, rewarding the trickiest performance in each.

Nothing like jinxing myself.

Loved Laura Dern but I would have gone with Ann Dowd.

I, Tonya left me depressed. This sort of material only works if there is subtext but the movie kept dropping the ball on the theme that we both as individuals and as society as a whole have an insatiable need to categorize people -- and thus Tonya never got a fair shake in life.

Love, love, love Kirk Douglas. The day we lose him will be the day Old Hollywood will have been officially lost to the ravages of time.

Yeah, I completely disagree with that Best Screenplay win. So does munchin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I've actually enjoyed all the black just for the fashion sense. I think they should just have a color theme for each award show, it actually brings out the people.

In unrelated, my dislike for James Franco keeps growing.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

So, Anthony Anderson was twice charged with sexual assault, James Franco solicits 15-year-olds, and Hugh Grant likes breaking into college girls' dorms, but they wore black, so it's cool. At least Geoffrey Rush stayed away.

Complete Winners List

Movies

Best motion picture, drama: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best motion picture, musical or comedy: “Lady Bird”

Best director, motion picture: Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water”

Best performance by an actress in a motion picture, drama: Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best performance by an actor in a motion picture, drama: Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”

Best performance by an actress in a motion picture, musical or comedy: Saoirse Ronan, “Lady Bird”

Best performance by an actor in a motion picture, musical or comedy: James Franco, “The Disaster Artist”

Best performance by an actress in a supporting role in any motion picture: Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”

Best performance by an actor in a supporting role in any motion picture: Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best screenplay, motion picture: Martin McDonagh, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best motion picture, animated: “Coco”

Best motion picture, foreign language: “In the Fade”

Best original score, motion picture: Alexandre Desplat, “The Shape of Water”

Best original song, motion picture: “This Is Me” — “The Greatest Showman”

Television

Best television series, drama: “The Handmaid’s Tale,” Hulu

Best performance by an actress in a television series, drama: Elisabeth Moss, “The Handmaid’s Tale”

Best performance by an actor in a television series, drama: Sterling K. Brown, “This Is Us”

Best television series, musical or comedy: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” Amazon

Best performance by an actress in a television series, musical or comedy: Rachel Brosnahan, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

Best performance by an actor in a television series, musical or comedy: Aziz Ansari, “Master of None”

Best television limited series or motion picture made for television: “Big Little Lies,” HBO

Best performance by an actress in a limited series or motion picture made for television: Nicole Kidman, “Big Little Lies”

Best performance by an actor in a limited series or motion picture made for television: Ewan McGregor, “Fargo”

Best performance by an actress in a supporting role in a series, limited series or motion picture made for television: Laura Dern, “Big Little Lies”

Best performance by an actor in a supporting role in a series, limited series or motion picture made for television: Alexander Skarsgard, “Big Little Lies”

Continue reading the main story
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Helen Mirren and Viola Davis. Mirren continues to make the right fashion choices. Davis is no slouch either..
    posted by @goldengateblond
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Loved that Sam Rockwell won. That was a tricky performance. One wrong note and it could collapse.

Loved McDormand, but I may have chosen Hawkins if I had a say.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I don't watch enough television to have any comment on the TV awards. In fact, I don't think I have seen one single performance that was nominated for TV. But I've seen almost all of the movies from which the acting awards came. There were several categories in which I would likely have voted for someone else, but at the same time, I will say that every performance that won was wonderful, and of an award-winning quality.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I don't watch enough television to have any comment on the TV awards. In fact, I don't think I have seen one single performance that was nominated for TV. But I've seen almost all of the movies from which the acting awards came. There were several categories in which I would likely have voted for someone else, but at the same time, I will say that every performance that won was wonderful, and of an award-winning quality.

GH
    You're truly missing out if you don't watch the handmaids tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    You're truly missing out if you don't watch the handmaids tale.
    I still haven't recovered from the trauma of having to read that book 20 years ago and doing an compare/contrast essay (can't remember the other book) and four weeks of class discussions.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    I still haven't recovered from the trauma of having to read that book 20 years ago and doing an compare/contrast essay (can't remember the other book) and four weeks of class discussions.
    Isn't it funny how that works.

I cannot read Faulkner because we read a lot of him in a class called South-Southwest. But, I can read Twain, because interestingly he was in a completely different course called Trans-Mississippi West, which I did not take. I wanted to, but the powers that be decided Shakespeare would be good for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast