Agree Agree:  57
Likes Likes:  42
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Re: Tennis Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    WTA Insider
    ‏Verified account
    @WTA_insider

"Everyone thinks it was a money-related issue, but it wasn't. For me, that's one of the most hurtful things I've ever heard.”

Naomi Osaka opens up about her decision to part ways with coach Sascha Bajin.
    Whew! Naomi needs some serious media training if she thought this was a good way to discuss this and not come out looking like she was basically trashing Sascha. She doesn't want to talk "bad" about Sascha and then goes on to say quite a few negative things if you know how to read between the lines like most adults do.

Link to that specific Twitter post - https://twitter.com/WTA_insider/stat...99918748065792
    Link to the article associated with that Twitter post - https://t.co/efukP2RDXx

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    For me, that's one of the most hurtful things I've ever heard.
    Thicker skin, Naomi. Let it all slide right off.

Full video interview is here: https://sport360.com/article/tennis/...bajin-in-dubai
    Last edited by MJ2004; 02-17-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Sheesh, Naomi. Good luck building trust with a new coach now. I think she's been fully swallowed up by the parents/agents/JTA. They've won their battle for power, and they won't be letting go.

Will she win another big event from Premier Mandatory and up?
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Thierry Van Cleemput: "I do not have the weapons to help Halep"

Thierry Van Cleemput - © PATRICK HAMILTON - BELGA

Christine Hanquet
    Posted at 5:13 pm

The news was announced the day after the victory of Elise Mertens on Simona Halep , in the final of the Doha tournament: the Romanian player and her Belgian coach, Thierry Van Cleemput, separate. This tournament in Qatar will remain a unique experience.

Thierry Van Cleemput wishes to emphasize, the separation with Simona Halep is amicable, with a smile, without drama. Everyone believes that the other has great qualities, human and professional. But that did not stick.

Interview...

Thierry, it's already over, you're no longer the coach of Simona Halep. What happened ?

I want to say that everything went well in Doha, and that she is a great champion and a top-girl. She had a good tournament. But that does not suit me absolutely. I can not help it. Me, I wanted a trial period in training in Bucharest, and a trial period on tournaments, before eventually becoming officially his coach. It did not go wrong in tournament. But as I said, I can not help it, I'm not afraid to say it. I can not offer things that I do not know, or do not know how to do. She does rain and shine on her own, when she plays on the pitch. If she plays badly, it's not my fault. If she plays well, it's not thanks to me. I do not I do not have the ability to really interfere in that, I do not have the weapons. When we see that, we wonder what we serve. I do not want to be here just to be with Simona Halep, to have a salary. I want to be there because I'm doing my job as a trainer, because I can suggest tracks. And there, we did not feel anything, neither one nor the other. And we thought we should not do it, that it would be a mistake, that it was neither for her nor for me. Neither. And we thought we should not do it, that it would be a mistake, that it was neither for her nor for me. Neither. And we thought we should not do it, that it would be a mistake, that it was neither for her nor for me.

During this week, in Doha, you did not communicate well?

It's true that communication is difficult. First of all because she speaks Romanian and she had to speak English with me; and I speak French and partly English. The common core, in English, was not enough. But it was not a problem of communication, it was the feeling that one has with respect to the work.

Sports communication ...

There you have it. It was short, but from the moment we do not feel it, we must not do it. I was just five years old with David Goffin, a player I loved. It was very nice, and I do not want to put myself in this kind of file. It's not my thing, I prefer to devote myself to young people at that time.

That's it, your near future?

I'll take a step back, which I did not do after David, because the circumstances were what they were. I will stay a little calm. There, I'm on the edge of a field, to watch my son play football. I want to take care of my family. And, more than likely, my future will be where I need to be. I will probably go back to Mons, if I am needed, to take care of young people.

People will inevitably ask the question: you do not plan to return with David?

Of course not ... The file "David" and the folder "Halep" had nothing to do. One was not dependent on the other. David must now turn his future to something else. David has to find a new coach, someone who will boost him, who will bring him to the best. For me, sportingly speaking, this is part of the past. The present between David and me is friendship, and nothing else. There is no regret for David. He had to stop with him, the wear of time was there, the pressure was there. His future will be with someone else. And I'm sure he'll make a good choice, and he'll find someone who will help him.

If a player calls you, will you still study the question?

I can not answer something that does not exist at the moment. I had two offers, but there is no regret after the Halep experience. You have to be in the experience, to realize if there is a possibility or not. What I learned is that my real job is the development of young people. I'll think, I'll rest a little, but in my opinion it will be that. And I want to reiterate that I am very happy with the experience I had during this week in Doha. As long as we are not inside, we can not know.

https://www.rtbf.be/sport/tennis/det...er?id=10148049
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Well alrighty then. Looks like that search for Halep's next long-term coach may be a lengthy one cause that doesn't exactly sound like a plum gig.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 02-17-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Wow Naomi, you sure know how to take the bloom off a rose.

Now you sound just as assanine as Halep, and thatís more impressive than winning back to back slams.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I am not putting you on, Miles, but I can't find ASSANINE in a dictionary. Did you mean like an ASSASIN, or did you mean ASININE (pertaining to being an ass)?
    I know neither is flattering but just to understand your post.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I am not putting you on, Miles, but I can't find ASSANINE in a dictionary. Did you mean like an ASSASIN, or did you mean ASININE (pertaining to being an ass)?
    I know neither is flattering but just to understand your post.
    Sorry man, meant asinine. Being a poor speller is one of my best traits.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Totally missed that Rainer Schuettler is now coaching Angie Kerber. Not looking like the best move thus far to let go of Wim Fissette. She's going to need a big win or result for this to feel like a good decision.

How did we miss this one?

Kasatkina parts ways with Philippe Dehaes

It is with sadness that I am announcing that myself and Philippe Dehaes are parting ways after a very successful partnership.
    I owe Philippe a huge amount for the success I've had over the past two years since we started working together but after deciding I need to take control and responsibility for my own tennis, I felt I needed to do this alone and take a break from working with Philippe but as he has a family and children to support, I understand this is not possible for him and it's best we go our separate way.

Who knows what the future holds, never say never. I'd just like to go on record as saying thank you again to Philippe, you'll always mean a lot to me and I wish you the very best. Thanks for everything coach, you will always have a special place in my heart. Gonna miss yours on court coachings and all the song you’ve been singing in the car. Dashka��

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuJCSk5gF8L/
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Well alrighty then. Looks like that search for Halep's next long-term coach may be a lengthy one cause that doesn't exactly sound like a plum gig.
    Not sure that the Osaka gig sounds like much of a prize either, based on that interview. :/
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617