Agree Agree:  123
Likes Likes:  131
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11263233343536

Re: Tennis Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Think she will play dubs with Sabalenka at the Olympics?
    100%. They're both good doubles players. Sabalenka is #5 and Azarenka is #18 right now. Plus, there are no guys to play mixed with.

Sasnovich has a good chance at qualifying for singles, so she'd be the backup. If Sabalenka is still in the doubles top 10, and Azarenka doesn't play, Sabalenka can choose anyone in the top 300. However, she has to defend titles at IW and Miami, and a semi at the French, so I bet she'll slip below 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Could Azarenka be pregnant? Just throwing that out there.
    Sure, or she could be contemplating retirement like Woz. I imagine those discussions get complicated if you have certain endorsement deals already in place.

However, I feel like Occam's Razor points to more custody battle nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Could Azarenka be pregnant? Just throwing that out there.
    You'd think after last time that she'd have multiple forms of birth control on her person at all times, and if that was the case why not say that she had a non-specific injury that was still being assessed and that a time frame for return would be determined when the injury is properly assessed.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    You'd think after last time that she'd have multiple forms of birth control on her person at all times, and if that was the case why not say that she had a non-specific injury that was still being assessed and that a time frame for return would be determined when the injury is properly assessed.
    Oh I agree. I just wanted to throw that idea out there. I wonder if she's thinking to retire or if not then focus on doubles like folks have been saying.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.Ē

― Frank Zappa

I did not see the Azarenka-Sabalenka match, but I was unimpressed by the much-talked-about "classic" with Serena. Thought the quality was overrated on both sides at the time.

Clearly, something is wrong in Azarenka's head during matches and she can play better than she has, but she did not look like a top-200 player against Halep at Wimbledon after losing an early lead in the first set. I'm not exaggerating. Her easy misses for the last set-and-a-half were shocking for a professional tennis player. I agree with suliso that her slam-challenging days are behind her.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Sure, or she could be contemplating retirement like Woz. I imagine those discussions get complicated if you have certain endorsement deals already in place.

However, I feel like Occam's Razor points to more custody battle nonsense.
    wonder who Barty will play dubs with in Melbourne, or if she'll just skip dubs.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    I did not see the Azarenka-Sabalenka match, but I was unimpressed by the much-talked-about "classic" with Serena. Thought the quality was overrated on both sides at the time.

Clearly, something is wrong in Azarenka's head during matches and she can play better than she has, but she did not look like a top-200 player against Halep at Wimbledon after losing an early lead in the first set. I'm not exaggerating. Her easy misses for the last set-and-a-half were shocking for a professional tennis player. I agree with suliso that her slam-challenging days are behind her.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD9ENdN-ai0
    Based alone on the point at the :38 mark here, I believe Vika can still summon Slam-level tennis. She won't get back to No. 1, but if she is still committed to playing full-time and builds her consistency, I think she'll have some more chances at hard-court Slams.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

This is helpful. And hilarious. Well done Courtney.

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/15714...but-in-january

Dominic Thiem parts ways with Thomas Muster as coach

Austrian Dominic Thiem said on Saturday he has ended his partnership with former world No. 1 Thomas Muster after just a couple of weeks together.

Muster had been present for Thiem's first two matches at the Australian Open but was conspicuous by his absence as the world No. 5 beat the American Taylor Fritz in four sets to reach the round of 16.

The No. 5 seed had brought in Muster earlier this month alongside his main coach, Nicolas Massu, hoping that Muster, who won the 1995 French Open, would be the catalyst for Grand Slam success. Thiem lost in the final in Paris in each of the past two years.

But Thiem said things had just not worked out.

"We ended our working relationship," Thiem told Austrian reporters at the Australian Open. "It did not fit. It's easy like that. It is just about work. We get along well personally, and we said in the beginning, if anything is not all right we will tell each other."

Earlier this month, Thiem had said that Muster would be present for 20 weeks on Tour this year. Muster, for his part, had said that Thiem was the only player he would have coached.

Thiem hired Massu, the former Olympic champion from Chile, in February 2019 and he made an immediate impact as Thiem won the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells the following month, his first Masters 1000 title on hard courts.

Thiem will play Frenchman Gael Monfils in the fourth round in Melbourne on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...s-muster-coach

Yves Simon
    @yvessimonsevy
    Coaching is already over between Carlos Rodriguez and Amanda Anisimova ! The two were on a test period from the beginning of the year but didnít find a field to extend this.
    Looks like it didn't go so well.

I said before that it didn't seem like a good match, so this is not surprising. But I wonder who is going to be her coach now, most of the desirable coaches are paired up already for the season. She seemed to have a good relationship with her previous coach, and he clearly got her game ready for clay court season in particular. But players don't usually go back to their immediate last coach.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 02-08-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11263233343536