Agree Agree:  33
Likes Likes:  28
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Re: Tennis Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Only 12 women have won 5 or more slams in the open era. The one thing I see going for the current crop is that they are all very even and for sure we will not see a Serena or Steffi hogging titles any time soon.
    Petra and Garbie can go either way for me. They can but if they don't I will not be surprised. Kerber is the one that is the closest. But with this parity, just watch three new slam winners per year from now on and those five Slams get tricky.
    But someone will do it. Just by statistical variations.
    Starry starry night

Agree about Kerber, forgot about her momentarily.
    Roger forever

Interesting about how few have 5 or more. I wouldn't be shocked to see any of those mentioned getting to 5 really, it doesn't seem like a big stretch when not considering the only 12 part. Kerber being the most likely among those mentioned, but also, she's at 3 already.

If, and I know it's a very big if at this point, Azarenka were able to regain her previous form, I like her chances of winning 5. When in form, she has a winning h2h against most of the others she'd be facing towards the end of tournaments. She's also the one with 2 slams currently that in the past at least has consistently contended at all 4 majors.

And BTW: it is not a WTA or ATP thing. The ATP does not do much better. There have been 13 players that have won 5+ slams in the open era. Although that included Laver and Newcombe, who won also prior to 1968.
    Just think that all time "greats" like Vilas, Courier, Stan Smith, Nastase and Ashe did not get to 5.
    (On the women's side, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Davenport and Mandlikova did not reach that mark).
    Last edited by ponchi101; 11-10-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    It's not that much of a stretch imagining Kvitova (28) winning 2 more or Muguruza (25) 3 more. In fact I'll be shocked if none of the current slam winners besides Serena and Venus will have won 5 slams by the end of their career. It's not really that many. If we now ask about 10 slams that's a different story...
    I'd put Vika in that category, too. It also wouldn't shock me if Osaka won a bunch, as well as Sabalenka
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    It's not that much of a stretch imagining Kvitova (28) winning 2 more or Muguruza (25) 3 more. In fact I'll be shocked if none of the current slam winners besides Serena and Venus will have won 5 slams by the end of their career. It's not really that many. If we now ask about 10 slams that's a different story...

Sharapova also has 5

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011