PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 134
Tennis Coaching Merry-Go-Round - Page 35
Agree Agree:  118
Likes Likes:  128
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10253132333435

Re: Tennis Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Baghdatis is joining Svitolina's team!

Marcos Baghdatis
    @marcosbaghdatis
    I am so glad to announce the next chapter of my life and look forward to Coaching a great athlete and super tennis player #No.6 ranked WTA player Elina Svitolina, working along side Andre Bettles! I want to thank Elina for putting her trust in me. Lets do this! Bring it on 2020.
    I think it's a good move for her. He's a ball of sunshine, and that should help her relax. I think dating Monfils was a non-negligible part in her making her first two slam semis. (I think her professionalism was a positive influence on Gael too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Baghdatis is joining Svitolina's team!

I think it's a good move for her. He's a ball of sunshine, and that should help her relax. I think dating Monfils was a non-negligible part in her making her first two slam semis. (I think her professionalism was a positive influence on Gael too.)
    I don't get the move. And disagree about Gael's influence on her.

She went from #4 to #6 on year end ranking (2018-2019). 0 titles for the year, but on a disastrous career path she is not (ala Muguruza). So what is so bad about her relation with Gael? They seem silly-ly happy, which for two young millionaires is as much as you can ask for. And for him it was good. He came back to the top ten.
    Missing winter...

I find it a fascinating move by Svitolina. No one has ever thought of Baghs as a coach as far as I know and while she is still in the top ten there were a few matches of hers that left me wondering how she didn't win it. She was doing better towards the end of the year and I'm sure she wants to keep moving forward.

Good for her.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Hopefully Marcos neglects to teach her how to blow out snot on the court.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    She went from #4 to #6 on year end ranking (2018-2019). 0 titles for the year, but on a disastrous career path she is not (ala Muguruza). So what is so bad about her relation with Gael? They seem silly-ly happy, which for two young millionaires is as much as you can ask for. And for him it was good. He came back to the top ten.
    Was this question directed at me? If so, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I don't think their relationship was bad for either of them, I think it was good for both in different ways. I disagree about it being non-negligible.

Wim Fissette is going to coach Osaka

Ben Rothenberg
    @BenRothenberg
    WTA news:

Naomi Osaka's management confirms she is now working with coach Wim Fissette, who has led several WTA players to big successes in recent years.

Fissette was introduced privately to Osaka's sponsors at her partner retreat at the Riviera Club in Los Angeles last week.
    I'm very surprised by the move. After getting mad at Sascha for taking any credit, they chose a hitting partner, presumably to have someone who does as he's told. Then they dumped him after the US Open and Osaka's father coached her in the fall. I would never have expected them to choose a coach who might have strong opinions.

The other part of this news: what about Azarenka? Fissette was coaching her. Someone replying to the Tweet said that Azarenka hasn't signed up for the Australian Open.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    The other part of this news: what about Azarenka? Fissette was coaching her. Someone replying to the Tweet said that Azarenka hasn't signed up for the Australian Open.
    Here's more:

Ben Rothenberg
    @BenRothenberg

10h
    Two-time champion Victoria Azarenka (2012, 2013) has pulled out of next month’s Australian Open.

Her team cited “personal reasons” as the cause, and said she has the goal of returning to tour after #AusOpen.

I think Azarenka is done as far as high level playing is concerned. Won't ever contend for Slams again and if so make sense for Fisette to seek other opportunities.
    Roger forever

I haven't been a fan of Fissette since he told Halep to throw a match at the YEC a few years ago. I'm not happy with this choice but it was theirs (she and her family) to make.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Every time Fissette or Sumyk is announced as a new coach, my first thought is "well, that will never last."
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10253132333435