Agree Agree:  83
Likes Likes:  85
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Re: Tennis Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Craig Gabriel
    @crosscourt1

Not surprising.. Ivan lendl ends coaching Zverev "I have a lot of belief in Sascha who is still very young. I think that one day he may become a great player but currently he has some off court issues that make it difficult to workin a way that is consistent with my philosophy."
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Craig Gabriel
    @crosscourt1

Not surprising.. Ivan lendl ends coaching Zverev "I have a lot of belief in Sascha who is still very young. I think that one day he may become a great player but currently he has some off court issues that make it difficult to workin a way that is consistent with my philosophy."
    Translation: "Hey Sascha! Heard you talking smack about me in interviews! I'll say something vaguely polite in public, but just so you know: choke on it, you pampered giraffe."

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Craig Gabriel
    @crosscourt1

I assume this was Sascha's (or his dad's) intended result. Can't fire someone who quits.

Maybe I'm late in knowing this, but Davydenko is working with Khachanov. He's in the stands at the Citi Open.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Maybe I'm late in knowing this, but Davydenko is working with Khachanov. He's in the stands at the Citi Open.
    Someone posted a pic on Twitter.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

The 27-Year-Old Coach Leading Frances Tiafoe to Career Highs
    "We're like brothers pretty much," Tiafoe says.

KELYN SOONG JUL 30, 2019 4 PM

Zack Evenden
    KELYN SOONG

During the Australian Open earlier this year, a tennis fan approached Zack Evenden and asked for his autograph. Caught off guard, Evenden responded that he wasn't a player. The fan insisted. "I know exactly who you are," Evenden remembers him saying.

He signed the autograph, but still doesn't feel comfortable with the growing attention. "It's not normal to me," he says. "It's not natural, so I feel uncomfortable."

Evenden may have to get used to it. His first professional tennis coaching gig has allowed him to visit the most hallowed courts in the sport. He shares the same spaces as tennis legends throughout the year. And he gets to spend time working and traveling the world with a famous close friend.

Since last November, Evenden has been Frances Tiafoe's lone coach.

The 21-year-old Tiafoe won his first Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) title in Delray Beach, Florida in 2018, achieved a career-high ranking of No. 29 in the world this February, and reached the quarterfinals of this year's Australian Open, all with the help of Evenden, who is 27.

"I always count myself very lucky, and that's what drives me to be very honest with him, trying to get him to do new things," Evenden says. "Never settling. Never getting comfortable, because I know I'm very fortunate to have the relationship I have with Frances, to be in the position I am."

The two have been friends since 2014, long before Evenden even considered being Tiafoe's coach. He lives in Tampa, Florida, and Tiafoe befriended Evenden while training in Orlando. Tennis, Evenden says, was a "quite small" part early on in their relationship.

But over time, Evenden started sending Tiafoe text messages before certain matches, and then they'd chat briefly afterward. When plans to go to Asia in 2017 with another pro tennis player fell through, Tiafoe invited Evenden to join him through the winter season as an assistant coach.

"It was never planned. Everything has just happened naturally between us," says Evenden, a London native who played collegiate tennis at Florida A&M. "It wasn't a plan for me to be by myself with him. We didn't plan for it, but we had full faith we would be able to do a great job of it, which we have done so far."

Evenden considers Andy Murray to be the pioneer of this unique player-coach relationship. From 2010 until 2014, Murray hired his friend Dani Vallverdú as his coach. Evenden sees more players taking this approach. "They're more open minded to it," he says.

Having someone trustworthy on the team is paramount for Tiafoe, a 21-year-old Hyattsville native who keeps a tight-knit relationship with his family.

"We're really close. We're like brothers pretty much," Tiafoe says. "We spend a ton of time together. I see him all the time. It's bigger than a coach-player relationship, I think ... Friendship for me is really important. Everybody I surround with myself with I'm really close with. My agent, I'm really close close with. All my family around, I'm extremely close with. I'm a guy who likes true relationships, not fake stuff. If I'm going to be involved with someone, I'm gonna take everyone in as family. I cherish our relationship. I take it very seriously."

Evenden insists that he had no concerns that working for his friend would affect their relationship. He had too many other things to think about.

"There's so much at stake, there's so many tournaments, it's tough to take things for granted and stuff like that," he says. "So there's always a task at hand, so I just try to focus on that more."

With only a six year age difference, the pair knows when to be serious and when to let loose. During a recent practice at the Citi Open (a tournament managed by City Paper owner Mark Ein), Evenden roamed the court, but said little, allowing Tiafoe to figure out his game in a practice set against 18-year-old Félix Auger-Aliassime. But when the session was over, Evenden and Tiafoe could be seen laughing on the bench.

"It's enough where he respects me as being older than him, so that's good," Evenden says of the age difference. "I think that counts for a lot of worth. Every now and then he'll joke, on one hand, I think we're the same age when we're having fun, but on the other hand, I always remind myself, yeah, Zack is six years older than him. I think he values that."

Coaching someone in Tiafoe's generation, Gen Z, requires limiting distractions, Evenden explains. He'll remind Tiafoe to put down his phone, and when to focus, but for the most part, he says, Tiafoe will meet him halfway. At the bigger tournaments, the two are also joined by physio Bret Waltz.

Earlier this year, Tiafoe bought an apartment at the Wharf, while Evenden still considers Tampa his home base. But the coach plans to move this offseason. He's looking at places in D.C.

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...o-career-highs

REPORT: Maria Sharapova To Split With Coach
    A change could be on the way for the five-time grand slam champion.

Published 7 hours ago on 02/08/2019 By Adam Addicott

Swedish tennis academy Good To Great has uploaded an article that states the two are set to go their own ways. The Academy is one of the more prestigious in the country that was founded by Magnus Norman, Nicklas Kulti and Mikael Tillström. It is understood that negotiations are now in place for Högstedt to work with Rebecca Peterson on a permanent basis.

Sharapova began working once again with Högstedt in April, but her progression on the tour has been marred by injury. The Russian has only been able to play in three tournaments since the Australian Open in January and hasn’t won back-to-back matches in any of them. At the Wimbledon championships, she retired in the first round whilst trailing 5-0 in the final set to Pauline Parmentier due to a forearm injury.

There have been no comments from either Sharapova or Högstedt about the potential separation. However, light has been shed on the situation by Peterson. The 23-year-old is currently ranked 70th in the world and has a win-loss record of 17-18 so far this season. Earlier this week she stunned Sloane Stephens in the first round of the Citi Open in Washington.

“After Wimbledon I went to Mariestad and Barcelona to train with ‘Hogge’. I’ve had the chance to work with him for a few weeks before the hardcourt season,” she said.
    “It has been great weeks and he has made me understand what it takes, how the best (players) work and think and how I can use my game to beat them.”

One of the things that attracts Peterson to working with Högstedt is his experience. A former top 40 singles player during the 1980s, he has also worked alongside Eugenie Bouchard, Tommy Haas and Li Na.

“He is an extremely qualified coach and has worked with many top players at both WTA and ATP. He has not trained a Swedish (player) in 20 years so it is fun that he has wanted to help me.” She said.

Such a change to Sharapova’s setup comes as no surprise. She has recently been in Italy training with renowned coach Riccardo Piatti at his tennis academy in Bordighera for two weeks.

Thank you @MariaSharapova . It’s been an honor to work with you and a pleasure to know you as a person. Good luck! Forza! pic.twitter.com/Erjlq7j8Dj

— Riccardo Piatti (@RPiatti) July 28, 2019

Sharapova is set to return to action next week at the Rogers Cup after being given a wild card into the tournament.

https://www.ubitennis.net/2019/08/re...a-split-coach/

Jelena Ostapenko's Coaching Situation -

After seeing the guy I saw before with her in Toronto, I thought I'd look again for a name. Twitter helped me out this time and his name is Krisjanis Stabins. He's her "coach" this week, but really he is her hitting partner and physio.

But I found more information and she actually references another coach she is working with besides her mom, said she worked with her during the grass court season - Irina Chichmaryova. Apparently she's known her since she was a junior and Alona wanted to continue working with a female coach.

She provided detail in this Q&A I found buried on the Baltic Open site that showed up in a google search once I had the hitting partner's name.

http://balticopentennis.com/jopcrus

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425