Agree Agree:  33
Likes Likes:  28
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Re: Tennis Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Also, hopefully Vika returning to Wim will put some of the questions about him to rest that people were asking a month or so ago. Outside of not hearing much about him being difficult in general, he can't be too bad if she's going back to him as her coach.
    After our discussion a month ago, I did some reading on Wim Fissette, and the general consensus is that he is indeed a great coach and pretty mild-mannered, but is very intense (which leads to clashes with his players if they are equally as intense) and quick to move on if a player doesn't want to put in the insane amount of work he requires.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 11-07-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    After our discussion a month ago, I did some reading on Wim Fissette, and the general consensus is that he is indeed a great coach and pretty mild-mannered, but is very intense (which leads to clashes with his players if they are equally as intense) and quick to move on if a player doesn't want to put in the insane amount of work he requires.
    There is a discussion on another tennis board that asked when the next five slam winner for the WTA would come and who she might be. The consensus seems to be that the younger generation with a few exceptions, doesn't have the work ethic required to win multiple Slams.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

enrico maria riva
    ‏Verified account
    @enricomariariva

More enrico maria riva Retweeted Charlotte Gabas
    Pouille and coach Planque mutually part ways

Charlotte Gabas
    ‏@Chagabs
    Follow Follow @Chagabs

Fin de collaboration entre Lucas Pouille et Emmanuel Planque. Décision prise d’un commun accord. #ATPextra

Translated from French by Microsoft
    End of collaboration between Lucas Puglia and Emmanuel stash. Decision taken by mutual agreement. #ATPextra
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

That was confusing because I was trying to figure out who Lucas Puglia was, and why I cared that he changed coaches.

All of those translation programs will do their darnedest to translate proper names. You might remember that the French judge who helped to fix the pairs at the 2002 Olympics had the first name of Marie-Reine. All of the programs translated the French articles with her name as "Marie Queen." My skating friends and I have referred to her as Marie Queen ever since.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    All of those translation programs will do their darnedest to translate proper names. You might remember that the French judge who helped to fix the pairs at the 2002 Olympics had the first name of Marie-Reine. All of the programs translated the French articles with her name as "Marie Queen." My skating friends and I have referred to her as Marie Queen ever since.

GH
    And Donna Vekic has been listed as "Woman Vekic" in a few player lists this year.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    There is a discussion on another tennis board that asked when the next five slam winner for the WTA would come and who she might be. The consensus seems to be that the younger generation with a few exceptions, doesn't have the work ethic required to win multiple Slams.
    This may be true, but I suspect it's less about work ethic and more about it being much more difficult to win 5 grand slams today vs when the women's tour was sponsored by cigarettes.

Darren Cahill
    ‏Verified account
    @darren_cahill

I would like to announce that Simona and I will not be continuing our partnership in 2019 purely for family reasons on my part.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp-KdiYB...=176ab6yrilkws

Simona Halep
    ‏Verified account
    @Simona_Halep

More Simona Halep Retweeted Darren Cahill
    Thank you so much @darren_cahill for all your hard work and incredible support over the past four years.

I was lucky to have you and what a journey we had. Wishing you and your family nothing but the best and I'm sure I'll see you soon!

Christopher Clarey
    ‏Verified account
    @christophclarey

More Christopher Clarey Retweeted Darren Cahill
    One part of this: Cahill's son Benjamin is looking at playing college tennis in the U.S. and Cahill wants to play a role in helping him make that transition

Darren Cahill
    ‏Verified account
    @darren_cahill

I would like to announce that Simona and I will not be continuing our partnership in 2019 purely for family reasons on my part.
    Well this ought to be very interesting. By all accounts, Darren was keeping Simona grounded and positive. Has she learned enough to do it herself or listen to someone else? I have my doubts since even in recent months she's gotten testy enough during on-court coaching to wonder if Darren would bail again based on her attitude.

Although his leaving is a bit of a surprise, he has alluded to his wife's annoyance at his travel schedule during broadcasts on a few occasions, so not as shocking if I hadn't heard that mentioned several times.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Although his leaving is a bit of a surprise, he has alluded to his wife's annoyance at his travel schedule during broadcasts on a few occasions, so not as shocking if I hadn't heard that mentioned several times.
    Several fans are saying Mrs. Cahill didn't like his travel schedule...

Several fans are saying Mrs. Cahill didn't like his travel schedule...
    Yeah, he made light of it and said it as more of a joke, but too many times for it not to have been an issue at all. And given how long he's been on ESPN now, I can say with certainty, he didn't make those references when he was just working as an Adidas consultant. And that had a good deal of work and travel to it, Sorana Cirstea was someone he coached a good deal and who is like an honorary member of his family she's so close to his wife and kids and has spent holidays with them. But that wasn't week in and week out. So, it did stand out that she must not like his current schedule based on his comments. A few of the references made it sound like Darren may have had to cancel being home or going on a planned family trip more than once. I think we all know that can get old really quick for the other spouse.

I will be curious to see how Simona reacts next year. She seemed to rely on Cahill heavily to keep her in matches mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    This may be true, but I suspect it's less about work ethic and more about it being much more difficult to win 5 grand slams today vs when the women's tour was sponsored by cigarettes.
    It's not that much of a stretch imagining Kvitova (28) winning 2 more or Muguruza (25) 3 more. In fact I'll be shocked if none of the current slam winners besides Serena and Venus will have won 5 slams by the end of their career. It's not really that many. If we now ask about 10 slams that's a different story...
    Roger forever

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast