Agree Agree:  34
Likes Likes:  30
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: WTA/ATP Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Odd to make this announcement now? Why not wait until end of tournament.
    When they talked about it briefly during the match today on Tennis Channel, it was very matter of fact, not at all reporting news and discussing it like it was new information. Clearly a planned exit by Lindsay that Madison and her agreed on. But given the casualness of the mention, I figured I had missed an earlier announcement, possibly during one of the previous clay court tournaments I don't get to watch anymore on TC.

Coaching carousel continues as Ostapenko, Taylor part
    By Stephanie Myles June 10, 2018

PARIS – The first coaching change of the fortnight came when Estonia’s Anett Kontaveit parted ways with coach Glenn Schaap right in the middle of the French Open.

It turns out it wasn’t the only one.

Jelena Ostapenko, the 2017 Roland Garros champion who went out in the first round this year, has split with amiable Aussie coach David Taylor.

Tennis.Life is told it’s unrelated to the early exit but is a mutual split. Their agreement ran through the French Open, and they’re parting ways.

Already, Sports Illustrated’s Jon Wertheim has written that Taylor will become Madison Keys’s new coach, although that has yet to be confirmed officially.

It was announced during the French Open that Lindsay Davenport, who has been part of Team Keys on and off for the last several years, has stepped aside as Keys’s main coach.

And earlier in the clay-court season, Keys parted ways with another coach, Dieter Kindlmann.

The American has spent the last few weeks basically flying solo, and you can’t argue the very good result in Paris.

Ostapenko’s coaching crew

Ostapenko, who turned 21 Friday, has gone through some personnel over the last year.

The Latvian had Spanish Fed Cup captain Anabel Medina Garrigues in her corner a year ago, and the two combined to capture Ostapenko’s first Grand Slam title in Paris.

It was always presented as a short-term gig. But Medina was there through the season.

Reports were she wanted some sort of guaranteed situation and, when that wasn’t forthcoming, decided to accept the Spanish Fed Cup position instead.

Since then, the 35-year-old has returned to the court in doubles, finally healthy after struggling with a shoulder injury for 2 1/2 years.

As well, last summer, Ostapenko briefly had longtime WTA Tour physical trainer Scott Byrnes working with her.

That didn’t last long. Byrnes began working with Genie Bouchard a few months ago.

Five-month stint

What’s next? No doubt there will be another coach in place during this key part of the season with Wimbledon, the big U.S. hard-court tournaments and the US Open coming up.

Ostapenko will fall out of the top 10 with the early exit in Paris, down to No. 12.

She’s not entered in any grass-court events until the week before Wimbledon, at Eastbourne.

Keys will make her grass-court debut next week in Birmingham.
    Taylor came on board at the beginning of 2018, although it was only for a certain number of weeks, and he didn’t actually, physically join Team Ostapenko until the Australian Open.

In between coaches, Ostapenko has had hitting partner/coach Andis Juska there.

http://tennis.life/2018/06/10/coachi...o-taylor-part/
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Lindsay has mentioned a bunch that she doesn't like the travel necessary to be a full-time coach, so not surprising that Keys would be in the market for a day-to-day person.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Coaching carousel continues as Ostapenko, Taylor part

PARIS – The first coaching change of the fortnight came when Estonia’s Anett Kontaveit parted ways with coach Glenn Schaap right in the middle of the French Open.

http://tennis.life/2018/06/10/coachi...o-taylor-part/
    I missed that coaching change for sure. Surprised to hear she'd fire him mid-tournament. Looks like Nigel Sears is her new coach.

Breaking News: Zverev Working With Lendl in Tampa
    No comments Posted by Scoop Malinowski in Scoop

A source has revealed that Alexander Zverev is currently working this week with tennis legend Ivan Lendl.

The two were photographed at the famous tennis resort Saddlebrook and are working together. It’s not known if a long term deal has been agreed to between Lendl and Zverev or if this partnership is just a short term union.

Ivan Lendl is the former ATP world no. 1 and a multiple grand slam champion Hall of Famer. He previously coached Andy Murray to his first major title wins.

Zverev is currently ranked number 3 by the ATP but has yet to achieve any notable success in grand slam play. The 21-year-old German has won eight ATP singles titles but his best result in a major was quarterfinals at Roland Garros this year. So far, the talented Zverev has won three Masters 1000 titles, two last year in Rome and Canada and this year in Madrid.

https://www.tennis-prose.com/article...endl-in-tampa/

Maybe Lendl will work on his temperament?

It's kind of an odd pairing to me.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Karel Knap
    ‏@Karel_Knap

Tomas Krupa not coaching Karolina Pliskova anymore. KP decided she needed a change: "The results and my feeling weren't as expected." It looks like a peaceful break up. Krupa remains friend with KP and co. New advisor? Not so new. Rennae Stubbs.

I'm not surprised that she's dropped Krupa. I am surprised that she's reached out to Rennae Stubbs who to my knowledge is not of Czech origin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I'm not surprised that she's dropped Krupa. I am surprised that she's reached out to Rennae Stubbs who to my knowledge is not of Czech origin.
    Stubbs played with Kveta Peschke for a long time, that's maybe the connection

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Stubbs played with Kveta Peschke for a long time, that's maybe the connection

I'm shocked. Isn't this the coach she straight up stole from Barbara Strycova that caused the rift among the Czech team for a bit? Seems like a coach you'd want to stick with for at least a full year if you were willing to be so underhanded to get him.

Erik Gudris
    ‏@ATNtennis

Sascha Zverev, who was cagey speaking in D.C. on working with Lendl, now welcomes him to his team via IG.

Erik Gudris
    ‏@ATNtennis

Sascha Zverev, who was cagey speaking in D.C. on working with Lendl, now welcomes him to his team via IG.
    Interesting. Who else thinks Sascha being up a set up and a break in Toronto before losing and the first round exit in Cincy led to Papa Zverev making an executive decision on the coaching?

I'm skeptical about this pairing because of Sascha's bratty behavior.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Erik Gudris
    ‏@ATNtennis

This will be like Simon Cowell mentoring Chris Brown

This is like a celeb marriage we all know isn't going to work out.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast