Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: WTA/ATP Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Stuart Fraser
    ‏Verified account
    @stu_fraser
    Follow Follow @stu_fraser
    More
    Ivan Lendl keen to coach again on the tour. This and more in the first edition of The Slice:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/s...open-kscd63zrg
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Muguruza parts ways with Martinez after Miami exit
    Conchita Martinez has stepped aside from coaching Garbine Muguruza following the Wimbledon champion's Miami Open exit.

Garbine Muguruza's on-off relationship with Conchita Martinez is off again after just six weeks working together.

Wimbledon champion Muguruza added Martinez back to her coaching team in February for the hard-court swing of the WTA Tour calendar.
    It was a return for the veteran Spaniard after stepping in temporarily to replace Sam Sumyk at Wimbledon, inspiring Muguruza to her second grand slam.

Martinez was in the 24-year-old's corner in Doha, Dubai and Indian Wells, while she was also present for her run to last 16 in Miami – where she was beaten by Sloane Stephens.

It will be as far as her run goes, though, with Muguruza opting to go it alone with Sumyk for the clay-court season, which begins next week in Charleston.

"I want to share the news that my collaboration with Garbine has finished after Miami," Martinez posted on Twitter.

"She has decided to go back working full-time with her coach.

"Like always it was great to work these past tournaments with her. I wish her and the rest of the team the best for the rest of [the] year."

https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/m...ter-miami-exit
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I want to share the news that my collaboration with Garbiñe has finished after Miami. She has decided to go back working full time with her coach. Like always it was great to work these past tournaments with her. I wish her and the rest of the team the best for the rest of year.

— Conchita Martínez (@conchitamartinz) March 28, 2018

I saw that on Twitter. The almost universal comment was "I will always love Garbie, but this is stupid."

I don't think Mugu has yet reached the "good career management" stage of development yet.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I don't think Mugu has yet reached the "good career management" stage of development yet.
    She better hurry up. Extended careers might be in vogue these days, but that won't be the case for everyone. She's 24. Get a move on.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

WTA/ATP Coaching Merry-Go-Round

I want to like her, playing for Spain as she does, I root for her, but there is an arrogance to her that is troublesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=MJ2004;960523... but there is an arrogance to her that is troublesome.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

This.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    I want to like her, playing for Spain as she does, I root for her, but there is an arrogance to her that is troublesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    This.
    It's in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I see where the impression comes from, but I either don't register it as arrogance or don't really care. I like players with some attitude and swagger. I will say the more I have paid attention to Mugu, the more I realize she doesn't engage fans very well. Answers in on-court interviews are pretty short and stiff. I wish she would come out of her shell. But maybe she already is, and this is who she is. I still like her. I love her style.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Tennis Panorama News
    ‏@TennisNewsTPN

More
    ESPN is reporting that Agassi is no longer coaching Djokovic.

"Jumping off the sinking ship?" - my husband says as I read your post out loud, Ti.

Stuart Fraser

Verified account
    @stu_fraser

More
    Agassi via ESPN: "With only the best of intentions I tried to help Novak. We far too often found ourselves agreeing to disagree. I wish him only the best moving forward."

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Stuart Fraser

Verified account
    @stu_fraser

More
    Agassi via ESPN: "With only the best of intentions I tried to help Novak. We far too often found ourselves agreeing to disagree. I wish him only the best moving forward."
    Good old fashioned Agassi shade
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Harold Solomon leaves Team Genie Bouchard
    By Stephanie Myles March 30, 2018

MIAMI, Fla. – The first indication that there might be problems in the collaboration between Genie Bouchard and veteran coach Harold Solomon came during her first-round qualifying match at the Miami Open last week.

Solomon was there – but he wasn’t sitting with Bouchard hitting partner Robbye Poole and trainer Scott Byrnes.

He was over on the other side of the stands.

For her final-round qualifying match the following day, Solomon wasn’t there at all.

And it was Poole who came out for the on-court consult when Bouchard struggled (and eventually lost to) Rebecca Peterson of Sweden.

Solomon also was a no-show for Bouchard’s doubles match later in the week.

Since then, Tennis.Life has confirmed that Solomon and Bouchard parted ways. We’re told it happened two days before the Miami Open.

We have no reliable information as to whether it was Solomon’s decision, Bouchard’s decision, or by mutual agreement.

“I appreciate what you need to do for you job, however I will not be speaking to anyone about my relationship with Genie,” Solomon wrote via text in response to an inquiry.

The former top player and veteran coach is currently out of state. So any clay-court preparation ahead of Bouchard’s participation in the WTA Tour event in Charleston this coming week, or coaching assistance at that tournament, obviously will not occur.

Solomon and Bouchard worked together on a fairly regular basis during the last off-season, with Bouchard commuting from Miami beach to the courts Solomon’s academy uses at a club in Fort Lauderdale. He did travel to Australia for the first Grand Slam of the season. But he did not continue on to Taiwan for a small event Bouchard played in after the Australian Open.

Poole, who was Serena Williams’s hitting partner for several years, performed the coaching duties.

Unless Bouchard comes up with a quick solution, it appears that will be her only option going forward. And that’s obviously far from ideal.

Solomon was back for Indian Wells, where Bouchard was given a main-draw wild card and where she continued to test various racket models, in the wake of the end of her contract with Babolat at the end of 2017.

Bouchard had been testing out several during the offseason. She played with a Head model at Hopman Cup to start the season before returning to her trusted (but now non-remunerated) Babolat for the Australian Open. Two months later, she still hadn’t committed to a racket for the season.

Just a few days before her first-round loss to qualifier Sachia Vickery at Indian Wells, Bouchard and Solomon were out with a Wilson Ultra, a blacked-out model that looked to be a Yonex, and Bouchard’s trusty Babolat.

http://tennis.life/2018/03/30/harold...enie-bouchard/

BBC Tennis
    ‏Verified account
    @bbctennis

More
    It’s all change in the Novak Djokovic camp.

As well as confirming the split with Agassi, Radek Stepanak has also left the coaching team.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast