Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    What happened to Kamau Murray?
    Still head of her team:
    https://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/...ns-role/132505

Re: WTA/ATP Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Christopher Clarey‏
    @christophclarey

More
    Borna Coric confirms that he's working with Piatti and with Ljubicic's agency

"Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Parsa @Parsa_Nemati

More
    After a successful four-year partnership with Kevin Anderson that included breaking into the top-10 and reaching this year's US Open final, 2017 ATP coach of the year Neville Godwin has started working with 21-year-old South Korean Hyeon Chung ahead of the 2018 season.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

What is with some of these coaching changes? Did these players have too much success last year, and decided that they wanted to go in a different direction this year - down? Seriously, changing coaches after a career high year seems very strange.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Some randoms I picked up form the Russian Tennis Federation's instagram:

Karen Khachanov is working with Galo Blanco

Elena Vesnina is being coached in the off-season by Dmitry Tursunov (why?)

Greece's Maria Sakkari is working with Thomas Johansson (but got a 2-week coaching session from both Safins in the off-season, apparently as a favor to Johansson)

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    What is with some of these coaching changes? Did these players have too much success last year, and decided that they wanted to go in a different direction this year - down? Seriously, changing coaches after a career high year seems very strange.
    Well, after USO, Anderson lost to Ryan Harrison, Verdasco (twice), Struff, and Garcia-Lopez, never getting past his first or second match of the tournaments in question. I'd consider hunting for answers elsewhere after a month like that.

And as much as I think Anderson is a nice person, somebody should remind him that the highest ranked player he beat at the USO was Carreño Busta (19) and that he still has to do that pilgrimage to Lourdes (or sacrifice a herd of oxen) because he made the USO final as a miracle.
    His coach had no part of either losses or wins.
    Starry starry night

Garbiñe Muguruza‏Verified account
    @GarbiMuguruza
    More
    Look who's joining my team for next tournaments! @conchitamartinz ������������������ @SamSumyk we are waiting for you! #Doha

Exhibit A for why there are coaching changes

���������� ��������
    ‏Verified account @DKTNNS
    26s26 seconds ago
    More
    Vesnina goes through a time out with Tursunov, coach of the year.

Zverev separates from Ferrero, Becker is added
    From SID / tennisnet
    Friday, 23.02.2018 | 13:29 clock

Alexander Zverev left his trainer Juan Carlos Ferrero after just seven months. Now many hope for the dream marriage with Boris Becker.

Dream double for German tennis sports? Germany's top player Alexander Zverev has parted company with his coach Juan Carlos Ferrero, and many are now hoping to work with Boris Becker. The German hopefuls and the greatest German tennis idol - a combination that sounds auspicious and could fit quite well. After all, Zverev and Becker already worked together successfully in the Davis Cup.

A spokesman for the tennis academy of former world number one Ferrero had the SID on Friday confirmed the end of cooperation with Zverev. According to the Spanish sports daily Marca, "differences in content" are the reason for the split. Especially with regard to the orientation of the environment they had been no longer agreed.

Becker comments
    The cooperation with Ferrero ends after only seven months - and the rumors that this could also be related to an upcoming commitment of Boris Becker, was not long in coming. Dirk Hordorff, vice-president of the German Tennis Federation (DTB), described to the SID a close bond of trust between Zverev and Becker: "Sascha appreciates the experience of Boris very much and in the Davis Cup Boris was at his side in critical moments."

Becker himself put a stop to speculation. "The next time we'll see each other at the tournament in Miami from 19 March," he told the Bild newspaper. As part of his job at DTB, he watched all players - "even Sascha," said Becker.

The 50-year-old has long been a confidant of the Zverev family. "The first contact I had, there Sascha was four," said Becker once. Ever since, the younger of the two Zverev brothers has been relying on the advice of the six-time Grand Slam winner ever since. When Becker accompanied the German Davis Cup team at the beginning of February in Davis Cup success in Australia, Zverev enthused: "It's very special and a great help to have such a legend."

So what are the arguments against intensifying cooperation? Becker already has a job. He is Head of Men's Tennis at the DTB, who did not want to participate in the speculation about a possible involvement in Zverev's coaching team: "Boris Becker is our Head of Men's Tennis and there is no reason for us to doubt that he will it stays, "said the association on Friday.

Promising start, stagnation in the majors

Zverev had brought Ferrero in July 2017 to his team. There are also his father Alexander Zverev senior, his brother Mischa, mother Irina and fitness coach Jez Green. Following on from the model of the so-called "super coaches", which are currently in fashion, such as Andre Agassi with Novak Djokovic, for example, the Spaniard Zverev was to win big. "Sascha is a special player," Ferrero enthused at that time: "He has the something of a champion."

And indeed, the start was very promising. Zverev promptly won the star-studded tournaments in Washington DC and Montreal. On the big stage of the Grand Slam tournaments, however, the 20-year-old failed again and again. The first-time entry into a major quarter-final, he missed both at the US Open in 2017 and at the Australian Open in January. Becker could help here. "In 2018, Sascha will win a Grand Slam," the 50-year-old said last September - Becker himself could now lead Zverev there.

Becker had been in charge of Novak Djokovic until the end of 2016, forming the Serbs together with Marian Vajda as the dominant player on the ATP tour.

http://www.spox.com/de/tennisnet/tur...is-becker.html

Google translation from the original German

Interesting. I wouldn't have put them together as a good match.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Interesting. I wouldn't have put them together as a good match.
    Time will tell. I don't think Boris is a good fit either.

So this happened today.

Ben Rothenberg
    ‏Verified account
    @BenRothenberg
    21h21 hours ago
    More Ben Rothenberg Retweeted ��
    Sascha Zverev said he ended his work with coach Juan Carlos Ferrero after a heated argument at the Australian Open crossed a line, he says.

"There was a moment where he was very disrespectful towards everybody in my team. That's why I had to stop that relationship."

��
    @PrinceSascha123
    24h24 hours ago
    pic.twitter.com/ANs5CCfSCK
    Juanqui responded

José Morgado
    ‏Verified account
    @josemorgado
    2h2 hours ago
    More José Morgado Retweeted MARCA Polideportivo
    Ferrero answers Zverev, says Sascha kept arriving late to his practice sessions. ‘I tried to teach him some discipline and humility’

MARCA Polideportivo
    ‏@MarcaTMF
    @MarcaTMF
    More
    .@juankiferri "A mí me enseñaron trabajo, disciplina, humildad y respeto por los demás" http://bit.ly/2tesVIy

WELP

Carole Bouchard
    ‏@carole_bouchard
    Following Following @carole_bouchard
    More
    Kerber burning Zverev : his new year's resolution "should be to be on time. He's always late for at least 15 minutes though he's a little bit German so..!". Laughs all around. Zverev left speechless

Maria Sharapova announces shock split
    MARIA Sharapova today told the world of her decision to split with someone who’s been an integral part of her life.

FIVE-time grand slam winner Maria Sharapova has decided to split with her tennis coach Sven Groeneveld following her shock first round exit from the WTA Indian Wells tournament.

After four years of working together, the decision to go their separate ways was a mutual one, Sharapova said on Friday.

“After four successful and challenging years of collaboration together, I would like to thank Sven for his incredible loyalty, work ethic and most importantly the friendship that we have formed that will go beyond this working partnership,” Sharapova said in a news release.

“Although we have mutually agreed to part ways during this time, I have been incredibly fortunate to have a team leader like him in my corner.”

The former world number one, and twice a winner in the California desert, suffered a stunning defeat on Wednesday to Japanese No. 1 Naomi Osaka, losing in straight sets 6-4 6-4.

Sharapova was one of the tournament’s major attractions after missing the last two.

“Maria has been one of the most hardworking and professional players I have ever worked with. Her strength and fighting spirit will continue to be a force to reckon with and I have the deepest respect for her as a player and person,” said Groeneveld of the Netherlands.

Rarely have a coach and a player gone through such highs and lows together in a four-year period as Sharapova and Groeneveld https://t.co/DlkVXWgWqV

— Christopher Clarey (@christophclarey) March 9, 2018

Imagine Groeneveld will be scooped up quickly. His pedigree, and the unshaken loyalty he showed toward Sharapova when many would have left her during her ban, should make him an appealing addition to many camps.

For Sharapova, interesting to see which direction she goes.

— Ben Rothenberg (@BenRothenberg) March 10, 2018

Sharapova parts with Sven Groenefeld ...that’s an interesting development

— Jon Wertheim (@jon_wertheim) March 9, 2018

For Sharapova the loss to the 20-year-old Osaka was another painful reminder that it’s back to the drawing board for the Russian as she makes her way back from a 15-month drugs ban.

It was her second first round loss in a row after she withdrew from the Dubai tournament with a forearm injury.

In her only grand slam appearance this year, Sharapova reached the third round of the Australian Open before losing to Angelique Kerber.

— AFP

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/...8ab27dd36533ae

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast