Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Random 2018 Predictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    8. Sharapova - cusp of top-20, decent FO run, beat Serena
    hahahahaha! Never going to happen again.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I said:
    Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I don't know if everyone else finds this as fun as I do, but I enjoy looking back on these types of things at the end of the year. What are your predictions on the following in 2018? Feel free to add intriguing players/questions to my list!

1. Jack Sock. Will return to being Jack Sock. Top 15, a couple of 250's. Good for him. 5 points so far, as he has indeed returned to being Sock. But the year is not over.
    2. Denis Shapovalov. Will not like it too much to be the hunted, not the hunter. He is no longer unknown, so will spend the year learning. Plenty of time for that after you lose by Wednesday every week. 10
    3. Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray. In order: Maybe RG; NO SLAMS; Two slams and return to #1; man, damn that hip. 7, because I missed Roger's Aussie
    4. Serena. Back to #1. "You talking to me?" 0. And I love it.
    5. Sasha Zverev. Will remain at #3/#4. Man, he is going to hate running into Novak. Close enough. 9
    6. Jelena Ostapenko. Will impose a record for UE's for a year. Around July. Spot on. 10
    7. Cici Bellis. Not even in the map. 10
    8. Maria Sharapova. Will inform the WTA she will start taking Meldonium again, rules be damned, after Serena plasters her somewhere. Nike will back her up and pay her legal fees. 10. I got the gist of it.
    9. Breakthrough men's player in 2018?. Some 18 year old will crack the top 500 out of nowhere. Other than that, same as it ever was, same as it ever was. 10. FAA is the sole player that has made some noise. Quoting an esteemed friend, a silent fart in an empty church.
    10. Breakthrough women's player in 2018? Serena's girl will get her first ranking points at an ITF tournament in L.A. 0. I did not see Osaka or anybody else making it.
    11. Highest ranked player on each tour who will retire in 2018? Andy Murray, Jankovic. 0 so far. Year is not over.
    12. Which players will win their first majors? Impossible to predict in the WTA, for the ATP, no new winners this year. 10. Caro, Halep and Naomi were indeed impossible to predict. And spot on for the ATP.
    13. Who will finish as year end #1s? Novak, Serena ("You still talking to me?") 5 because Novak will make it, Serena won't.
    14. Who will Nadal lose the #1 ranking to (can predict "nobody")? Novak. 0 so far. Not decided yet.
    14. One random unlikely prediction (anything related to pro tennis). Kyrgios gets a suspended suspension for telling the Duke of Kent "Pat Cash banged your daughter". Nike backs him up and pays for his legal fees. 0 even though it was a joke. But Kyrgios will not go back to the UK this year so fat chance of this happening.

Grand total, so far: 86. What was I drinking that night? I must have some more.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    hahahahaha! Never going to happen again.
    To be fair, Sharapova beating Serena as part of a decent FO run was close to a bullseye.

[QUOTE=dave g;949425][QUOTE=Woody;949385]I don't know if everyone else finds this as fun as I do, but I enjoy looking back on these types of things at the end of the year. What are your predictions on the following in 2018? Feel free to add intriguing players/questions to my list.

Figuring out the partial credit is going to be very subjective

1. Jack Sock:Back down to about 15 Partially correct: back down but closer to 35: 5 points
    2. Denis Shapovalov:Not much change yet Correct: 10 points
    3. Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray: I expect Nadal and Federer to remain the about the same; I am not expecting either Djokovic or Murray to break into the top 5. Correct about Nadal and Murray, slightly wrong on Federer, a way off on Djokovic: 6 points
    4. Serena: I think Serena will win Wimbledon and the U.S. open, end the year at number 1, and then retire, due in part to being pregnant with her second child Pretty far off on this one, but she did make the finals of both Wimbledon and U.S. Open finals: 0 points
    5. Sasha Zverev: I am not expecting much change Correct: 10 points
    6. Jelena Ostapenko: She will continue to drop in ranking into the 20's Correct:10 points
    7. Cici Bellis: I am not expecting much change here either Correct: 10 points
    8. Maria Sharapova: Top ten, maybe Close, 6 points
    9. Breakthrough men's player in 2018?none Correct: 10 points
    10. Breakthrough women's player in 2018?none ??? Should we consider any players who won their first slam having a true breakthrough? I think it remains to be seen.
    11. Highest ranked player on each tour who will retire in 2018?Serena wrong so far: 0 points
    12. Which players will win their first majors?Wozniacki and Dimitrov. I have absolutely no idea how I predicted Wozniacki. It is an obvious sign I didn't take this exercise seriously. : 3 points
    13. Who will finish as year end #1s?Serena and Rafa Probably wrong on both counts : 0 points
    14. Who will Nadal lose the #1 ranking to (can predict "nobody")?possibly Roger: Wrong : 0 points
    14. One random unlikely prediction (anything related to pro tennis)Belgium will win the Davis Cup
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    To be fair, Sharapova beating Serena as part of a decent FO run was close to a bullseye.
    Not even close! Sharapova didnít beat Serena. She just advanced in the draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Not even close! Sharapova didn’t beat Serena. She just advanced in the draw.
    I'm not saying that advancing in the draw is the same as a win.

The prediction was "Sharapova will have a good run at the FO and get a win over Serena." They were scheduled to meet in the FO, Sharapova was in good form, Serena was exhausted and not in great form. Even though the match didn't happen, that was a solid guess. Certainly not laughably bad.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

People seem to have misunderstood how I meant #14. Rafa lost the #1 ranking to... Roger. For several weeks. Dave g, that's points for you! But if it was up to me, I'd take them all back on #7. Bellis went from #35 to currently 132! That a lot of change

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    People seem to have misunderstood how I meant #14. Rafa lost the #1 ranking to... Roger. For several weeks. Dave g, that's points for you! But if it was up to me, I'd take them all back on #7. Bellis went from #35 to currently 132! That a lot of change

To be honest, I don't have sufficient interest in Bellis to follow her ranking.
    Last edited by dave g; 09-14-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

1. Jack Sock will win a major ... in doubles. Do I get 20 points since he won two?
    2. Denis Shapovalov will repeat as Rogers Cup runner-up. Nope.
    3. Nadal will shave his head (and Twitter will go wild), Federer will post a 280-emoji tweet (and Twitter will go wild), Djokovic will get dumped by either his wife or a sponsor (and Twitter will be continue to be more obsessed with anything Rafa or Roger), Murray will add another dog to his household. Haven't followed this sort of thing closely this year -- guessing no.
    4. Serena and the kid will show up in another Beyonce video. Ditto.
    5. Sasha Zverev will win three Masters. Well, 1 out of 3 isn't bad. 3.3 points
    6. Jelena Ostapenko will have an on-court meltdown that prompts nostalgic Vera Zvonareva GIFs on Twitter. See note 3.
    7. Cici Bellis will be picked for Fed Cup. Nope
    8. Maria Sharapova will visit the White House. See note 3.
    9. Breakthrough men's player in 2018? Alexander Bublik Big nope
    10. Breakthrough women's player in 2018? Aryna Sabalenka Go me! 10 points
    11. Highest ranked player on each tour who will retire in 2018? Raonic; Lepchenko Nope
    12. Which players will win their first majors? Halep, Monfils (we are DUE for Ivanisevician mayhem, people!) 5 points
    13. Who will finish as year end #1s? Muguruza, Thiem (a la Wozniacki) Snort
    14. Who will Nadal lose the #1 ranking to (can predict "nobody")? Zverev Double snort
    14. One random unlikely prediction (anything related to pro tennis) Nicolas Jarry will show up in a Vogue spread. Wintour is slacking. Sheesh.

1. Jack Sock will win another masters not even close unless you count doubles - 0
    2. Denis Shapovalov will make the 4th round of the AOnope - lost to Tsonga in 2nd round - 2 pts
    3. Nadal will end his season early due to injury, Federer will continue to play as long as his back holds up, Djokovic will return to form and win at least 1 major, Murray will retire if he can't rehab from the hip injury I'm actually doing well on this one - do I get 10 pts each for Nadal, Fed, and Djokovic? Verdict is still out on Murray - no retirement announcement yet.
    4. Serena will win Wimbledon Close - 5 pts for runner up?
    5. Sasha Zverev will have a deep run at a major QF at Roland Garros - 8 pts
    6. Jelena Ostapenko will be completely unpredictable. Does it count when I predict something this easy? 10 pts
    7. Cici Bellis will be overhyped and underperform not sure how much she was hyped this year, but definitely under-performed - 8 pts
    8. Maria Sharapova will be back in the top 20 Close - she made it to 21 in August - 8 pts
    9. Breakthrough men's player in 2018? Hyeon Chung or Tiafoe not sure how to grade this - Chung had a breakthrough at the AO, but then struggled with injuries - 3 pts for making AO Semi
    10. Breakthrough women's player in 2018? Vondrousova didn't do much outside of the US Open round of 16 - 0 pts
    11. Highest ranked player on each tour who will retire in 2018? Radwanska, Murray no announcements yet - 0 pts
    12. Which players will win their first majors? Dimitrov, Pliskova totally blew this one - 0 pts
    13. Who will finish as year end #1s? Wozniacki, Djokovic unlikely - but they could both finish as #2
    14. Who will Nadal lose the #1 ranking to (can predict "nobody")? Djokovic unlikely but still a possibility
    14. One random unlikely prediction (anything related to pro tennis) Ash Barty wins the AO [/QUOTE] not even close
    My Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    13. Who will finish as year end #1s? Muguruza, Thiem (a la Wozniacki) Snort[/B]
    I'm glad you snorted so I didn't have to. Great call on Sabalenka.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I said:
    14. Who will Nadal lose the #1 ranking to (can predict "nobody")? Novak. 0 so far. Not decided yet. And now it is decided. Sorry I got this one right

Grand total, so far: 86. What was I drinking that night? I must have some more.
    Add ten points. Grand Total of 96. Although I must admit I should deduct the points for Sock. He has been way more horrible than I expected.
    Starry starry night

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Add ten points. Grand Total of 96. Although I must admit I should deduct the points for Sock. He has been way more horrible than I expected.
    But this question was not about the year-end #1. Nadal lost the #1 ranking to Federer early in the year.

Taking in consideration the seriousness of this exercise, I would grant 10 point to each.
    Starry starry night

I guess we can say Kachanov has had a breakthrough year. Deduct or add points accordingly.
    Starry starry night

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast