Agree Agree:  19
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oscars

2018 Oscars

As usual, I have started paying pretty close attention to the movies likely to be the top Oscar contenders. I thought I would go ahead and start this thread, since we will ultimately want it. I would love to hear any opinions about the movies thought to be front-runners, or, for that matter, any opinions at all.

Here is a list of 24 movies that seem to be likely to dominate the major nominations. I have used the lists from IndieWire's Oscar predictions thus: The list below includes all movies they see as "front-runners" for Picture, Director, or any Acting category. I have also included ones they listed as "contenders" for Best Picture and ones that seemed to be otherwise "contenders" in the director or in multiple acting categories. Their comments on their predictions are easy to find on their web site, www.indiewire.com

In alphabetical order:

The Big Sick
    Blade Runner 2049
    Breathe
    Call Me by Your Name
    Darkest Hour
    The Disaster Artist
    Dunkirk
    Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool
    First They Killed My Father
    The Florida Project
    Get Out
    I, Tonya
    Lady Bird
    Last Flag Flying
    Mudbound
    Phantom Thread
    The Post
    The Shape of Water
    Stronger
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Victoria and Abdul
    Wind River
    Wonderstruck
    Wonder Wheel

I have seen 8 of them. I am very aware that my taste in movies does not parallel that of the general public or of the critics.

Four that I found to be excellent to outstanding:
    The Big Sick
    Dunkirk
    Stronger (especially the acting)
    Victoria and Abdul (especially Judi Dench)

Four that I liked far less than the critics seem to:
    Blade Runner 2049 (disclaimer: simply not my type of movie)
    The Florida Project
    Get Out
    Wind River

We should be in for an interesting Awards Season.

GH

Re: 2018 Oscars

I've only seen Ladybird from that list, although I plan to check out Call Me... Film Stars... Phantom Thread & Three Billboards.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

I would actually nominate Wonder Woman. It did something for female leads, female directors, and a bit of a perspective change on female based films. It is not worthy of winning anything (it is not a serious movie, after all), but it should be mentioned.
    Starry starry night

Ponchi, I also saw Wonder Woman, though it did not meet the criteria I used for my "list". I liked it a lot, despite the fact that I am not usually interested in super-hero or high-action movies. I really liked the lead actress and her interpretation of the role. So for me, I thought it was far superior to the four I mentioned that I did not like.
    Moz, Any thoughts about Lady Bird as an Oscar contender? It got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. That doesn't happen overly often, and basically means that the critics all loved it.

GH

I'd say a nomination for both Ronan and Metcalf is in order but the latter has the better chance of getting one.

I missed Wonderstruck when it was at the cinema, but I do enjoy Todd Haynes' films

I have a bit of an update: I do not plan to edit that original list of 24 films I put in the first note. However, three of the films have now been demoted in the predictions by IndieWire, and no longer meet the criteria I used for inclusion in the list. In each case, the likely nominations have been demoted to "Long Shot" status:

First They Killed My Father
    Last Flag Flying
    Wonderstruck

I have not seen any of these 3, so of course, this is no comment on the quality of those movies. It is merely a reflection of IndieWire no longer considering them to be likely to get major Oscar nominations.

GH

Also, I saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri today. It is excellent with some truly outstanding performances. I highly recommend it.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The only one I've seen from your list was Get Out. I really enjoyed it and I guess would come down on the critics' end. I'm planning to watch The Big Sick later this week.

---
    I finally saw Wonder Woman on a plane last week and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. I don't think it should win awards, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Also, I saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri today. It is excellent with some truly outstanding performances. I highly recommend it.
    I saw it yesterday. It is really good

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

As some know, I cannot go to the movies often these days as I am playing caregiver when not at work.

But, I did see Get Out (and Wonder Woman.)

The MVP of Get Out is its screenplay.

The 4 best films I've seen so far this year by far, in no particular order, are The Big Sick, Get Out, Dunkirk and Lady Bird. And they all excel in totally different ways. I find it hard to even compare them. Dunkirk is the one I was most impressed by, I think, partially because I didn't really know the really cool conceit/gimmick of the film going in, nor did I know the story, to my embarrassment, as I imagine it's widely known in England.

The Big Sick, though, is the best time I've had at a movie in a long while. And Holly Hunter is beyond outstanding in it.

But this has been a year of disappointments for me, mostly. Movies I thought would be excellent have been just very meh (Baby Driver, Battle of the Sexes, Logan, and especially Detroit, which was a total misfire).

But huge thanks for the list, Glenn. It's been a really crazy year, with a cross country move and then another move, so I've been a little out of it when it comes to movies I should see.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

I will cringe if Daniel Day Lewis gets nominated again

Quote Originally Posted by sean4878 View Post
    I will cringe if Daniel Day Lewis gets nominated again

Sean, Until yesterday, Daniel Day-Lewis was not considered a "front-runner" for a nomination. But IndieWire "updated" their lists, and he now is considered a front-runner. I fear that you are going to need to prepare to cringe.

GH

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast