Agree Agree:  19
Likes Likes:  38
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oscars

Re: 2018 Oscars

I'm still wondering how the fact that Mudbound was directly released onto Netflix only will affect its nominations. I'm not even sure how I feel myself about the Oscars starting to include movies with no significant theatrical release. But since they themselves have deemed Mudbound to be eligible, I am strongly pulling for it. I saw The Post yesterday and thought it was fantastic also. It is now in the number 2 slot of my list. I have seen all you have mentioned above except Call Me By Your Name, which has yet to show up here. Interestingly, it has been all season the one I have been most anticipating. Mudbound was, for me, an enormously pleasant surprise, since I had virtually no preconceived notions about it when I saw it about 2 months ago. The thing is, there really are some great ones this year, so a lot is going to come down to personal preference.......that and all of the usual campaigning and politicking that goes on.

GH

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Got around to The Post today. It is very good. But, I think Academy members will consider it old-fashioned, even though it is quite timely with challenges to the media going on now.

You almost want to say otherwise, but Streep was pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Got around to The Post today. It is very good. But, I think Academy members will consider it old-fashioned, even though it is quite timely with challenges to the media going on now.

You almost want to say otherwise, but Streep was pretty great.
    What’s a head scratcher is that Spotlight was equally old fashioned yet it won. It’s always interesting which movies get traction and which don’t and why.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    What’s a head scratcher is that Spotlight was equally old fashioned yet it won. It’s always interesting which movies get traction and which don’t and why.
    Maybe because Spotlight covered a story that happened less than 15 years earlier? I don't know. Maybe the fact it won is hurting The Post's chances?

Maybe because Spotlight covered a story that happened less than 15 years earlier? I don't know. Maybe the fact it won is hurting The Post's chances?
    Honestly I can’t come up with a convincing theory or explanation except to say, voting members just aren’t responding to the film. I saw it with a general audience and they applauded at the end. So go figure.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Honestly I can’t come up with a convincing theory or explanation except to say, voting members just aren’t responding to the film. I saw it with a general audience and they applauded at the end. So go figure.
    They applauded today, too. In fact, the last time before today an audience I was in applauded was Spotlight.

They applauded today, too. In fact, the last time before today an audience I was in applauded was Spotlight.
    Ha! So we come full circle. It’s a weird year for me since I find myself indifferent to all of the front runners.

I thought The Post was wonderful......I have it second of the year's movies to Mudbound. And maybe it's related to my age, but I happen to think when Meryl Streep is at her best (as she was in The Post), no one else is at that level. This was a year of "stunningly" good (I hope you see your influence, Yoort) movies, and stunningly good performances, especially by women. So much so, that I have seen numerous women in performances that deserve an Oscar. This is a year that it is genuinely a shame that so many of them go up against one another. Of course, there was the usual dreck out there as well, but I was very pleased with most of what I have seen.

I am seeing both Wonderstruck and I, Tonya today. Then I will have finished my odyssey of seeing the movies declared "front-runners" at some point since October 1 by IndieWire. I will post my list ranking all of them and my favorite performances. Not a one of you will agree with my list (none of friends here either), but you may find it interesting. I have kept the lists updated for myself as I see each movie.

I saw both Call Me by Your Name and Phantom Thread yesterday. Talk about opposite reactions: I truly loved Call Me by Your Name (it's in 3rd on my list) and its performances. And I did not care for Phantom Thread......another movie about which I had a major "so what" reaction at the end. I don't get why that movie is getting the awards buzz it has.

GH

I'm seeing Phantom Thread today...
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Here are my lists, which I wanted to post before the Oscar nominations come out Tuesday.

Twenty-six movies came into play....I kept a list of movies on my computer that included all movies that at any point in time since October 1 appeared as "front-runners" for best picture, best director, or any of the acting categories on IndieWire. This resulted in some movies being on the list that later dropped precipitously off the list. Some movies that were initially "front-runners" are no longer even on the lower lists, which are called "contenders" and "long-shots". Two examples are "Breathe" which was initially a front-runner for best actor for Andrew Garfield, and Wonderstruck, initially a front-runner for supporting actress for Julianne Moore. Both have been off of all lists for weeks now. But since movies were going up and down all over the place, I kept all of them on my list, and have them ranked. I kept notes on each film and likely-to-be-nominated performance. I ranked movies relative to the list as I saw them, but only came up with my acting lists today.

There was only one movie among the 26 that I could not see. That was "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool", which earlier had front-runner status for best actress with Annette Bening. She is now on their "long-shot" list. I still hope to see it within a couple of weeks, when it finally comes here.

The ranking of the 25 films, all in order, and split into categories:
    The top 3.....I would be very happy with any one of these winning best picture....all are clearly deserving:
    1. Mudbound
    2. The Post
    3. Call Me by Your Name

The next group......all excellent and of a quality worthy of a best picture nomination:
    4. Darkest Hour
    5. Stronger
    6. The Shape of Water
    7. The Big Sick
    8. Dunkirk
    9. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Good to excellent movies, but not of a quality to merit best picture nominations:
    10. I, Tonya
    11. Victoria and Abdul
    12. The Disaster Artist
    13. Wonderstruck
    14. Wonder Woman
    15. Battle of the Sexes
    16. Lady Bird
    17. Last Flag Flying
    18. Breathe
    19. First They Killed My Father

Movies that still have considerable merit, but movies that I did not overly like.....most of these are ones the critics (and many of my friends) liked a lot better than I did:
    20. Get Out
    21. The Florida Project
    22. Phantom Thread
    23. Wind River
    24. Blade Runner 2049

And one that I simply did not think was good at all:
    25. Wonder Wheel

Acting categories: A problem is that I have obviously only seen movies that for one reason or another met the criteria mentioned above. So these performances are from those 25 movies. I picked 5 for each category....some categories had more that were worthy, especially both actress categories. They are in my order of merit.

Best Actor:
    1. Gary Oldman for Darkest Hour
    2. Jake Gyllenhall for Stronger
    3. Tom Hanks for The Post
    4. Timothée Chalamet for Call Me by Your Name
    5. James Franco for The Disaster Artist

Best Actress:
    1. Meryl Streep for The Post
    2. Judi Dench for Victoria and Abdul
    3. Sally Hawkins for The Shape of Water
    4. Frances McDormand for Three Billboards...
    5. Margot Robbie for I, Tonya

Best Supporting Actor:
    1. Mark Rylance for Dunkirk
    2. Jason Mitchell for Mudbound
    3. Willem Dafoe for The Florida Project
    4. Woody Harrelson for Three Billboards...
    5. Steve Carell for Battle of the Sexes

Best Supporting Actor:
    1. Mary J. Blige for Mudbound
    2. Allison Janney for I, Tonya
    3. Tatiana Maslany for Stronger
    4. Laurie Metcalf for Lady Bird
    5. Octavia Spencer for The Shape of Water

These are my picks.....not what I suspect the Academy will do. The biggest drawback in making these, other than that it was I who made them, is the fact that I let IndieWire decide which 26 movies I would target. There are undoubtedly other worthy works and performances out there.

I will also see the Oscar-nominated shorts in about 3 weekends. I'll leave notes on those as well.

GH

Glenn, did you not see All the Money in the World? You're missing out.

Of all the moves this year, Call Me by Your Name is the lone film this year to offer a complete cinematic experience. But Moonlight won last year so another movie with a gay story-line is unlikely to win, though it could be argued it is not a gay coming of age story but rather simply a coming of age story.

I liked The Post, but I thought it was inferior to Spotlight in just about every way. I tried pretty hard to be fair and not think about Spotlight but then one of my favorite character actors, Michael Cyril Creighton, who also has a small pivotal role in Spotlight, shows up in The Post in a small pivotal role, and almost all I could think about was how much more I enjoyed Spotlight. I think that it did the process-y, journalism stuff better than Spielberg's kinda bombastic vision. And the last 20 seconds of The Post made me groan, but the crowd I saw it with thought it was deeelightful, so I think I was in the minority.

But I think if I hadn't rewatched Spotlight like 4 times in the past year, I'd have had a more positive reaction, since I did like it a fair bit, so I'll have to revisit it.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Miles, Thanks for your comment. I did see All the Money in the World. I liked it a lot, and would have put it pretty high on that list I made. It did not meet the criteria to be on my list (admittedly, my own criteria), since it was never a "front-runner" in any category on IndieWire. Christopher Plummer was for a while considered a "long-shot" for supporting actor, but he is no longer even on that list. This was one where I liked the movie better than it appears the Oscars will.

Munchin.....I saw Spotlight twice, both within about 2 weeks of each other, since my partner did not go with me the first time and he decided he wanted to see it. I totally loved it both times, as my comments from that time frame would show. Not having seen it in 2 years, I thought The Post was every bit as good, and I guess I would say I thought the acting in The Post was even better (though outstanding in both). Still, I'm comparing things with a lot of time between my viewings.....not entirely fair. And I'm with the people in your theater who totally loved the ending of The Post.

GH

Thanks for the rankings Glenn. Found them fascinating, both what you included and what you didn't.

Also, not sure where you're reading, but where I do, Christopher Plummer is still likely to get a supporting actor nomination even though buzz around All the Money in the World has dimmed, I've heard more about Mark's pay and Michelle's lack thereof than I've heard buzz about the film in the last month. Originally Michelle Williams was considered among the front runners for a best actress nom, but it's seeming like Christopher might be the only acting nomination for the film at this point, which is rather amazing given everything.

I haven't seen the movie, as I'm uncomfortable about it being made in the first place. I'm just going off of stuff I've read on various industry sites.

Phantom Thread was solid but not spectacular. The standout for me from this film was Lesley Manville's performance. I don't expect her to make the Supp. Actress shortlist, yet it would be much deserved.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast