Agree Agree:  19
Likes Likes:  38
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oscars

Re: 2018 Oscars

I saw it last night. Very, very good. But it might have a tough time with nominations since MOONLIGHT won last year and...
    Well, further comments could lead into unsavory territory.
    Starry starry night

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

My early guess, going by the last few years, is Nolan wins best director for Dunkirk, but the film does not win best picture. Best picture will come from the 5 SAG nominees for cast in a motion picture. Those are The Big Sick, Get Out, Mudbound, Three Billboards and Lady Bird. Look to see which of those 5 get best pic and director noms from the Academy. I am going to say right off The Big Sick is probably not one of them. So, look at the other 4.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

The short list for Best Foreign Film Oscars was released almost 2 weeks ago, but I only just noticed it. By history, I would strongly recommend trying to see any of these that become available to you, though for many of you, that might be a small number. Every year, I seem to find some of this list to be incredibly good while I find others unimpressive.

The list is in alphabetical order by country:

Chile: A Fantastic Woman

Germany: In the Fade

Hungary: On Body and Soul

Israel: Foxtrot

Lebanon: The Insult

Russia: Loveless

Senegal: Félicité

South Africa: The Wound

Sweden: The Square

This "short list" always includes exactly 9 films from which a panel will pick 5 to be the nominees.

My surprise was the absence of "First They Killed My Father" (Cambodia, directed by Angelina Jolie) from this list. I saw it and liked it a lot, though I have certainly seen better films this year. While I am not all that surprised that it is not considered to be the quality of a top Oscar contender, the fact that it has had so much talk surrounding it made me feel that it was a sure Foreign Film nominee. It was released directly to Netflix.....if that is what hurt its chances, the totally superior "Mudbound" may be in trouble as well.

GH

GH

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri kind of infuriated me. I think it's a well-made and genuinely surprising movie and I really hope Frances McDormand gets another Oscar for the work she does here because she creates an astoundingly powerful and memorable protagonist. But oh my god does this film choose slickness over substance. The racial politics of this movie are just revolting. It's hard to get into it without massive spoilers but Sam Rockwell's character is just a mess. His acts of police brutality, often racialized, are sometimes played for laughs which, if the film is going to take a big swing like that, it better have some meaningful resolution. This film was not so much interested in that kind of resolution for him, which was appalling. There are a three (three and a half I guess, if you count the guy with one line at the beginning) characters of color, who are basically just props/pawns. It would be interesting if this film cared to explore them as fully realized characters, but it's not (something that really bugged me is that Frances McDormand's actions directly put one of them in true harm's way and it's just kind of forgiven and forgotten ). And Woody Harrelson's character is kind of set up as the moral center of the film, but what are we supposed to think of him continuing to employ Sam Rockwell's character? And why does the film only dance around that? Arrgh, I wanted to tear my hair out.

Walking out of the theater, I kept thinking of that 2001 film In The Bedroom, which is one of my favorites, and how it dealt with parental bereavement in an effective, emotionally honest, scarring, and haunting manner. And that made me resent Three Billboards for choosing to be so utterly glib. The critics love it now, but 10 years from now, I think this film will have curdled in people's memories like Crash did (or did for me, anyway).
    Plot and logic wise the movie is a hotmess. Besides the racial politics being revolting, so are the LGBQT politics in the movie. Main point of contention for me was when Sam Rockwell's character literally throws a person out of a second story building. The crime is being witnessed by at least a dozen people -- including the new African American sheriff who forms the new moral core of the movie, yet Sam Rockwell's character is not arrested. WTF?
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Plot and logic wise the movie is a hotmess. Besides the racial politics being revolting, so are the LGBQT politics in the movie. Main point of contention for me was when Sam Rockwell's character literally throws a person out of a second story building. The crime is being witnessed by at least a dozen people -- including the new African American sheriff who forms the new moral core of the movie, yet Sam Rockwell's character is not arrested. WTF?
    Isn't this movie based on actual events?

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Isn't this movie based on actual events?
    Nope. The writer/director was inspired by actual billboards he once saw on a road trip but the rest is made up nonsense.

Having said that, Sam Rockwell is fantastic and will finally get an Oscar nod.

I posted this elsewhere, but I like attention, so pfffft:

We FINALLY caught up with this. Pan's is probably my favorite film for the last 10-15 years or so and all. AND due a ton of Idiot Day in Chicago Annoyances, we got into the film late, AND could only sit in the front row on the side, causing a truly delicious spell of neckaching. Nevertheless, we both just love this film. Now, granted, I've been through a lot as of late, so I was ripe for the following, but....I didn't just cry at the end, I literally just poured out tears. It's like water fell out of my eyes, and I was ugly heaving as quietly as I could (Read: Not all that quietly.) Criterion better get their MF hands on The Shape of Water. Not perfect by any means, and I'd agree with you that Pan's remains his masterpiece at least for now. But this for me is a great film I'll see again, when I can bear to see it again. (I still haven't been able to make myself see Pan's again, but obviously, I will.)

AND let me just add here- I truly think that this has ended up being a year with outstanding films. And I still have some to catch up with.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

My take: Great films (not necessarily in order, except for The Shape of Water)= The Shape of Water, Call Me By Your Name, Get Out, Lady Bird.

Superb= The Big Sick.

I Get That It's Great, But It Just Didn't Hit Me as Hard As Other Films This Year: Dunkirk. Technically beyond incredible. But, I view Inception as even better, and I'd have to think about Momento.

Next Rung, still pretty damned excellent= I, Tonya (with great performances, obviously.)

SO many ridiculously great performances from actresses. AND actors. I think plenty of unmentioned actors in I, Tonya are incredible, for example. Sucks to be Ray Romano this year Oscar-wise. A lot of incredible supporting actors and actresses will end up getting left out. And, again, I have plenty more to watch. (I am a psycho Mary J. Blige, and will be over the moon if she does at least get nominated, even though I haven't gotten to Mudbound yet.)
    Last edited by nelslus; 01-13-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Nelsius, Mudbound remains, almost easily, my absolute favorite, though I still have a few to see. For instance, I've yet to see The Post and Call Me by Your Name. I love all the ones you mentioned above otherwise, and agree totally that this was an outstanding year for wonderful movies, and maybe even more so for wonderful performances. There are many Oscar-worthy movies out there, but right now my Best Picture vote is still on Mudbound.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    I posted this elsewhere, but I like attention, so pfffft:

We FINALLY caught up with this. Pan's is probably my favorite film for the last 10-15 years or so and all. AND due a ton of Idiot Day in Chicago Annoyances, we got into the film late, AND could only sit in the front row on the side, causing a truly delicious spell of neckaching. Nevertheless, we both just love this film. Now, granted, I've been through a lot as of late, so I was ripe for the following, but....I didn't just cry at the end, I literally just poured out tears. It's like water fell out of my eyes, and I was ugly heaving as quietly as I could (Read: Not all that quietly.) Criterion better get their MF hands on The Shape of Water. Not perfect by any means, and I'd agree with you that Pan's remains his masterpiece at least for now. But this for me is a great film I'll see again, when I can bear to see it again. (I still haven't been able to make myself see Pan's again, but obviously, I will.)

AND let me just add here- I truly think that this has ended up being a year with outstanding films. And I still have some to catch up with.
    I was really impressed with this one, too. I was especially impressed with the cast, nearly all of whom give close-to career performances. I've always loved Sally Hawkins (I thought her performance in Happy Go Lucky was easily the best of whatever year that came out) but it's a special actor who can sell a passionate romance with a swamp-thing. Richard Jenkins and Michael Shannon are delightful. And it never ceases to amaze me what complexity Octavia Spencer can add to roles that, on paper, are very similar to each other (I worry for her that she's becoming the Thelma Ritter of our time, but I guess there are worse career tracks. I'd love to see her get to try something a little different, though).

And the ending was just truly perfection. I do find that I find this film really tough to sell to my friends. They just think it sounds weird. I've started just saying that it's a film that's full of surprises and I just don't talk about the plot.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    I was really impressed with this one, too. I was especially impressed with the cast, nearly all of whom give close-to career performances. I've always loved Sally Hawkins (I thought her performance in Happy Go Lucky was easily the best of whatever year that came out) but it's a special actor who can sell a passionate romance with a swamp-thing. Richard Jenkins and Michael Shannon are delightful. And it never ceases to amaze me what complexity Octavia Spencer can add to roles that, on paper, are very similar to each other (I worry for her that she's becoming the Thelma Ritter of our time, but I guess there are worse career tracks. I'd love to see her get to try something a little different, though).

And the ending was just truly perfection. I do find that I find this film really tough to sell to my friends. They just think it sounds weird. I've started just saying that it's a film that's full of surprises and I just don't talk about the plot.
    OMG, I have loved Sally Hawkins for ages, and am thrilled for her with this role. LOVE Richard Jenkins, and hope he can be squeezed in for his second Oscar nomination. Octavia Spencer walks on water for me. I got to watch some of her 1:1 interview in one of those Off Camera With Sam Jones thingies that I sometimes stumble on as I cable show browse, and love her even more now. She is so, so smart with her career choices. NOW I want some smart screenwriter and/or playwright to just write a movie and/or show for her, and let her be the full focus. She is incredible.

Strangely enough, especially by comparison, I wasn't as taken by Michael Shannon's work in the film. I don't necessarily blame him, but his part and performance in the film came off as one dimensional and not nearly as shaded. I mean, I get that Del Toro is always going to toss in the evil and violent and ugly with his strange, monster films. And, as always and at least, Michael Shannon always has a great presence in his films, as he does here. (AND a surprisingly nice ass, I might add. Which I know I should not have been focusing on in his disturbing scenes. But, if you give me good manass, I'm gonna make note of it every time.)

Nevertheless, I just love this film. And, if we can't convince everyone to see this film, the loss is so much theirs.
    Last edited by nelslus; 01-14-2018 at 09:44 PM.

I agree with everything Nelsius just said.......About Octavia Spencer: I also totally love her in everything I've ever seen her in. And while I suspect another Oscar nomination for her for this film, I don't think she'll win. Part of that is the INCREDIBLE performances she is up against this year (that category is ridiculously strong for me this year). But the rest is what the 2 notes above say: The roles she gets so far have not required her to show marked variations in her acting. The performances are filled with subtlety, which also should be rewarded. But to win, I think she will need to show more different dimensions.

As good as I thought Spencer was, my vote for supporting actress still easily goes to Mary J. Blige. Talk about a role that took her away from her usual persona!! I consistently found myself not believing that could possibly be her on the screen. And beyond her, I would have to go for either Laurie Metcalf or Allison Janney, each of whom gave a career-defining performance. And then there are other totally Oscar-worthy performances from Holly Hunter, Tatiana Maslany (Stonger), and others. There are going to be performances totally worthy of winning that don't even get nominated due to the quality this year.

GH

Sally Hawkins in Happy-Go-Lucky and Richard Jenkins in Six Feet Under will always be their finest roles for me
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

It will be interesting to see whether Mudbound gets a best picture nomination. The film seems solid for Mary J. Blige and adapted screenplay nominations, but is hanging in that 8-12 area with films like The Big Sick, The Florida Project, Darkest Hour, and I, Tonya. I don't know which one or two of those will get in.

Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Shape of Water, Dunkirk, The Post, Call Me By Your Name and Get Out seem to be locks.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast