Agree Agree:  19
Likes Likes:  38
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oscars

Re: 2018 Oscars

I saw Call Me By Your Name yesterday. It is worth checking out. A lovely film.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

the Moz, Thanks.....that movie is probably the one I have been most eagerly anticipating for months. But it isn't around her yet at all. Also, we have not yet had The Post, Phantom Thread (the one I'm least anxious to see), Darkest Hour or The Shape of Water.

But since I last wrote, I did see Disaster Artist, which I really liked.....It kept my interest beautifully and was a really interesting story on top of being so well acted. I also saw Wonder Wheel, which I would not recommend at all......hard to believe this is the quality of Woody Allen films these days.

GH

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I managed to see The Shape of Water this weekend. Beautiful and pretty original film (a little Beauty and the Beast and creature feature in there. But different.) Great performances throughout. Stayed with me for 48 hours now.

But, Del Toro's best film is still Pan's Labyrinth.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I also saw Wonder Wheel, which I would not recommend at all......hard to believe this is the quality of Woody Allen films these days.

GH
    He hasn't made a good film since Blue Jasmine.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Disagree. His last not so bad film was Match Point. With all the terrible bad-tennis-players scenes.
    Starry starry night

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Disagree. His last not so bad film was Match Point. With all the terrible bad-tennis-players scenes.
    I loved Midnight in Paris (and I have never been a Woody Allen fan).

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    He hasn't made a good film since Blue Jasmine.
    I think the most recent Woody Allen film I thought was really good was Husbands and Wives (1992)
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I loved Midnight in Paris (and I have never been a Woody Allen fan).
    This is the correct answer.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Ace Blackjack Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion Woody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    This is the correct answer.
    We agree on this! Also, where is thread where we talk about The Last Jedi???

As long as you leave spoilers out of the first few lines please- they show up on Tapatalk even if you don't open a thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri kind of infuriated me. I think it's a well-made and genuinely surprising movie and I really hope Frances McDormand gets another Oscar for the work she does here because she creates an astoundingly powerful and memorable protagonist. But oh my god does this film choose slickness over substance. The racial politics of this movie are just revolting. It's hard to get into it without massive spoilers but Sam Rockwell's character is just a mess. His acts of police brutality, often racialized, are sometimes played for laughs which, if the film is going to take a big swing like that, it better have some meaningful resolution. This film was not so much interested in that kind of resolution for him, which was appalling. There are a three (three and a half I guess, if you count the guy with one line at the beginning) characters of color, who are basically just props/pawns. It would be interesting if this film cared to explore them as fully realized characters, but it's not (something that really bugged me is that Frances McDormand's actions directly put one of them in true harm's way and it's just kind of forgiven and forgotten ). And Woody Harrelson's character is kind of set up as the moral center of the film, but what are we supposed to think of him continuing to employ Sam Rockwell's character? And why does the film only dance around that? Arrgh, I wanted to tear my hair out.

Walking out of the theater, I kept thinking of that 2001 film In The Bedroom, which is one of my favorites, and how it dealt with parental bereavement in an effective, emotionally honest, scarring, and haunting manner. And that made me resent Three Billboards for choosing to be so utterly glib. The critics love it now, but 10 years from now, I think this film will have curdled in people's memories like Crash did (or did for me, anyway).
    Last edited by munchin; 12-28-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

On the other hand:
    I saw LOVING VINCENT last night. Not nominated for anything at all. Which makes me more and more doubtful that The Oscars ever get it right.
    As I said in another thread, Kubrick never got an Oscar. Neither did Hitchcock. James Cameron did. Enough said.
    Starry starry night

I'm late to this, but I watched Dunkirk a few nights ago. I was surprised by how good it was. It felt a bit like an art movie about war. Very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponchi and others, I have no reason to know what is being thought about by the people who nominate things for Oscars, but wouldn't "Loving Vincent" be eligible for the animation Oscar????? If so, I think it was worthy, even worthy to win. It is obviously not your usual "animation," but I would think it would be considered a type of animation.

GH

Though I still have a lot of the so-called "front-runners" to see, my favorite for this year remains "Mudbound", yet none of you have yet to comment about it one way or the other. Has anyone else seen it? If so, am I the only one who totally, totally loved it? It wouldn't be weird for the latter to be the case. For me, it still represents everything I would want a "Best Picture" to be.

GH

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast