Agree Agree:  19
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oscars

Re: 2018 Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Sean, Until yesterday, Daniel Day-Lewis was not considered a "front-runner" for a nomination. But IndieWire "updated" their lists, and he now is considered a front-runner. I fear that you are going to need to prepare to cringe.

GH
    I know

Gary Oldman win win though.

DD Lewis is the male Meryl Streep. He gets nominated because he gets nominated. It is that simple.
    Starry starry night

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I started reading a description of DDL's movie and nearly fell asleep. Asshole man and the women who loved him for it - with costumes!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I started reading a description of DDL's movie and nearly fell asleep. Asshole man and the women who loved him for it - with costumes!
    but it's a PT Anderson film
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Confession: the only DDL movie I love is The Boxer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I absolutely love DDL. Some of his performances have practically knocked me out of my seat.

That being said, I saw coming attractions online for this latest film, and it looks dull as dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Confession: the only DDL movie I love is The Boxer.

Not 'My Left Foot' - I've always enjoyed that film.

In the name of the father. I thought that was a very good film. And I do like him a lot (always hated My Beautiful Launderette, but that was because of Stephen Frears).
    And one thing I like about him: no superhero movies. He has yet to sell out.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    But this has been a year of disappointments for me, mostly. Movies I thought would be excellent have been just very meh (Baby Driver, Battle of the Sexes, Logan, and especially Detroit, which was a total misfire).

I thought Baby Driver was one of the best movies I'd ever seen. I love love love it. What's-his-face is a huge talent. The rewatch value really plummets with Kevin Spacey, though.

Logan was amazing. It was so refreshing to see that character get his ass kicked and have a smallish story. Young Girl Oddly Similar To Wolverine (no spoilers!) is bananas talented, and I'm stoked to see her pop up in sequels. Patrick Stewart swearing is the best.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    In the name of the father. I thought that was a very good film. And I do like him a lot (always hated My Beautiful Launderette, but that was because of Stephen Frears).
    And one thing I like about him: no superhero movies. He has yet to sell out.
    Given he is a method actor, superhero movies could be very dangerous!

Anyway, I think he's retiring after this.

So he says. Let's see if he unretires. He's young still.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    So he says. Let's see if he unretires. He's young still.

I'm sure he will. Oscars 2022!

How do you retire from a career like this? You... stop paying your fees to the actors' guild? You stop taking your anti-doping tests? You resign from which company, precisely?
    How do you retire from freelancing?
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post

I thought Baby Driver was one of the best movies I'd ever seen. I love love love it. What's-his-face is a huge talent. The rewatch value really plummets with Kevin Spacey, though.

Logan was amazing. It was so refreshing to see that character get his ass kicked and have a smallish story. Young Girl Oddly Similar To Wolverine (no spoilers!) is bananas talented, and I'm stoked to see her pop up in sequels. Patrick Stewart swearing is the best.
    Baby Driver is incredibly well-made and stylish and pretty clever, but I barely cared what happened to any of its one-dimensional characters at any given time. It got exhausting to watch so much action and crazy chase after crazy chase without any real stakes. As far as stylish direction, it was closer to Michael Bay than, say, Tarantino (or typical Edgar Wright) for me, unfortunately. Which is so disappointing because Edgar Wright writes characters and character relationships so well. It's by no means bad but I think it's his worst film.

I suspect I'll enjoy Logan a little more the second time around, but I actually found it a wee bit tedious and overlong and I remember thinking clearly multiple times "when is this thing gonna end?" which is not great. And they recycled tropes from previous X-men movies, which I found a little lazy at the time. That one I wanted to love. But I just thought it was fine.
    Last edited by munchin; 11-29-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Hi friends and neighbors! I've just been gone for 10 days hiking on the mountains of Georgia. The last 3 nights, it was simply lovely.....lows in the 30's with rain and wind each night, with periodic rain during the day. No matter how many times I do it, backpacking in cold rain is something I will continue to loathe. The problem is that this time, it was such a contrast to what started as sensational warm, clear weather.

Anyway, in the middle of that , I stayed a couple of days with an old friend. Since she was busy, I used a bunch of the time to see 4 more movies on that list of Oscar contenders I compiled using IndieWire's data. So now I have seen 13 of those 24 films. I'll update the following list when I've seen nearly all of them. But here is my list of how I liked them so far. This list only includes films among those 24 that I have seen (therefore, also does not include Wonder Woman, Battle of the Sexes, and a couple of others that I have seen that didn't meet the criteria to show up on this list). I'll make a few comments about the list after it. The movies are numbered in order, but then in groups as labelled:

Movies that I thought were outstanding and clearly worthy of a Best Picture nomination:

1. Mudbound
    2. Stronger
    3. The Big Sick
    4. Dunkirk
    5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Movies that I also thought were excellent, but not quite of a quality for a Best Picture nomination:

6. Victoria and Abdul
    7. Lady Bird
    8. Last Flag Flying
    9. First They Killed My Father

Movies that, while still good to very good, did not feel like they need to be mentioned in the Best Picture race (see comments). All of these are ones the critics clearly liked better than I did.:

10. Get Out
    11. The Florida Project
    12. Wind River
    13. Blade Runner 2049

Comments:

1. I become more aware all of the time how far my preferences are from most movie goers and from the critics.

2. I am not overly ranking performances yet, since there are too many I haven't seen. So this is only looking at the movies as a whole.

3. Now about GET OUT: Several of you have liked it. Also, I bought the DVD, which I have passed around, such that about 10 of my closest friends have seen it. I am a minority of one in not being that impressed. All of them liked it as much as those of you did who mentioned it. I am thinking that, like Blade Runner, it is simply not a type of movie that I like. Too weird for my tastes.

4. Now about MUDBOUND: None of you have even mentioned seeing it. I completely, completely loved it....everything about it. I thought the screenplay was wonderful and the acting was wonderful. Also, it is a movie that "matters". It tells a very important, though fictional, story, and one that resonates today greatly. I like for the Best Picture winner to be not only entertaining, but also of some social value (I know....this is not required to be "best"). And this movie is everything I would want. For me, right now, it is clearly the best movie I have seen this year.
    About movies that "matter", I thought of an example that shows how I feel: I thought Shakespeare in Love was a fine film. But it was really a piece of fluff that had no lasting importance. I would certainly say that most people don't feel as I do, but for me, that was a waste of a Best Picture Oscar.

5. I have yet to see a movie among this year's contenders that I see as a total clunker (meaning really WAY over-rated). Most years there are at least a couple of those.

6. While I said I did not want to dwell on acting winners yet, I will say that this year, the 2 actress categories are packed with superb value. And supporting actress may turn out to be the most competitive. I have seen 4 supporting actress performances that have gotten major Oscar buzz: Blige in Mudbound, Maslany in Stronger, Hunter in The Big Sick, and Metcalf in Lady Bird. All 4 of those performances are easily worthy of winning an Oscar, not just a nomination. But at the moment, I'm going with Mary J. Blige as my favorite. Not only was she perfect in that role, but it also seemed to be a performance totally away from her usual on-stage persona. But to emphasize, the other 3 were also basically perfect in those roles, and all of these roles are very crucial to their movies. And I have yet to see Allison Janney in I, Tonya or Olivia Spencer in The Shape of Water. These are 2 other performances being seen as Oscar-worthy.

I think we're in the midst of a really good awards season. I'd love other comments, especially if any of you have seen Mudbound.

Glad to be back in civilization to dry out and warm up, though I probably won't feel that way when I get caught up with the news.

GH

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast