Agree Agree:  19
Likes Likes:  38
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 2018 Oscars

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: 2018 Oscars

There seems to be a competition between younger members and older members and Shape of Water bridged that gap better than the others. So, it won.

Personally, I thought the films from the prior year were better as a whole.

I've just begun to see the 2018 films that may contend or should have (but won't). I'll wait for the 2019 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    I just watched Shape of Water. HATED IT. Couldn't connect with the characters or dialog at all. It stole heavily from three other classics, Splash + Amelie + E.T, but forgot to take any of the wit and charm of any of those movies. I don't get it. Scratching my head on how this dull affair won any awards at all, except I'll admit that cinematography was good (but it wasn't original - it was heavily influenced by Amelie). And this movie had no editor (my greatest pet-peeve in films). It went on and on forever.
    We finally agree on something!

I just could not stand this movie in any shape or water.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Not that it means anything, but I did see two lists ranking all the best picture winners that now included Shape of Water. Both, ranked the movie higher than I expected. One had it around 42 and the other closer to 30.

I would love to hear from any of you who have been seeing movies this year what you think will be top Oscar contenders. I haven't yet seen any that are getting the buzz. I usually see all the "front-runners" starting about November. And last year, that meant I saw 27 in about 3 months. I enjoyed that way of doing it, but it surely wouldn't be for everyone. GH

A quick word about Get Out, which I watched tonight with my husband. We both really enjoyed it.

From a purely cinematic perspective, I'd place it at a close #2 behind Dunkirk. From a culture relevance/impact POV, it wins hands down. It's already being shown in a few of the film courses that I work with on campus so I was familiar with the storyline and many key scenes including the alternate ending. There's so much to discuss. After it ended, we immediately started comparing the ending to Night of the Living Dead and its significance. To Glenn's point earlier today about lasting impact, of the entire bunch this is the one that feels like it will stand the test of time and not be forgotten. I don't watch too many movies in the horror genre, but it was worthwhile.

My final list, ranked, of the movies I saw, and I still might watch Call Me By Your Name and The Post.
    1. Dunkirk
    2. Get Out
    3. The Florida Project
    4. The Big Sick
    5. Lady Bird
    6. Shape of Water

I can't wait for next year's thread. It's always fun to get everyone's opinions early on!
    Last edited by MJ2004; 10-11-2018 at 08:53 PM.

I just happened to scroll through the last 2 pages of this thread and noticed the comment by the Moz about being glad that James Ivory got the adapted screenplay Oscar for Call Me by Your Name. I was delighted about that Oscar as well simply because I loved the movie, and also because I have been a great fan of his work (usually with his usual collaborators, now deceased, mentioned by the Moz).

Anyway, last month, on top of a mountain in West Virginia during Hurricane Florence (which was nothing but a longish moderate rainstorm where I was), I read the book, Call Me by Your Name. Like most people, I usually find the books better than the movies, but NOT this time. Several parts of the book were simply tedious, and did nothing to advance the plot, but by far my biggest criticism was that the author could not figure out how to end the book. This resulted in a 50-page denouement that kept going nowhere, and even when it did end, it felt like "well, I still don't know how to end this, so I'll stop here." I would give the book a very mediocre rating. James Ivory figured out a wonderful ending without greatly changing the outcome of the relationship, and the entire story was beautifully presented. Turning a pretty average book into this great movie showed his considerable skill...reading the book made his Oscar seem ever so much more deserved.

I wonder if anyone else read it and had other reactions. But I would not recommend spending the time to anyone who hasn't read it.
    GH

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I would love to hear from any of you who have been seeing movies this year what you think will be top Oscar contenders. I haven't yet seen any that are getting the buzz. I usually see all the "front-runners" starting about November. And last year, that meant I saw 27 in about 3 months. I enjoyed that way of doing it, but it surely wouldn't be for everyone. GH
    Of those I've seen:

Black Panther should be a contender in several categories

Tully - thought it would be just a cute comedy. Was surprised it had something to say. Won't be a contender though.

Leave No Trace - a small film from the people who brought us Winter's Bone. A gentle film, though, with an understated performance from Ben Foster (who will be ignored as usual). Breakout performance by the young Thomasin McKenzie. Film was excellent, but has been forgotten.

A Star Is Born - first half is amazing. A real treat. Inevitably, it comes back down to earth for the second half. But, I thought Bradley Cooper and the writers did as best as you can do with the melodrama the second half of that story is. Will be a major contender.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Film was excellent, but has been forgotten.
    So, it left no trace?

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

A haven't seen A Star is Born but is it really so amazing as a third remake? I just can't imagine a 4th iteration of a story having so much new to say.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    A haven't seen A Star is Born but is it really so amazing as a third remake? I just can't imagine a 4th iteration of a story having so much new to say.
    I was talking about this earlier with a friend. It's not as if this is a movie adaptation of a book like Shakespeare or Jane Austen where there's going to be different interpretations based on how you read the book and decide to bring it to the screen. And even then, people complain about do we really need another Pride and Prejudice. But this is a many times over remake of a movie. I'm in my 30's and even I know how this entire storyline goes. I don't see the appeal of this unless you're a Lady Gaga fan in particular, but possibly a Bradley Cooper fan. I'm absolutely the latter from way back, but I still don't see that this is a must see the way they are saying it is.

As basic as it sounds, I'm not sure why this time around they didn't at least do a gender reversal to offer something slightly new to the story. Because from everything I've seen and read, this is the exact same story as has been told before.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I was talking about this earlier with a friend. It's not as if this is a movie adaptation of a book like Shakespeare or Jane Austen where there's going to be different interpretations based on how you read the book and decide to bring it to the screen. And even then, people complain about do we really need another Pride and Prejudice. But this is a many times over remake of a movie. I'm in my 30's and even I know how this entire storyline goes. I don't see the appeal of this unless you're a Lady Gaga fan in particular, but possibly a Bradley Cooper fan. I'm absolutely the latter from way back, but I still don't see that this is a must see the way they are saying it is.

As basic as it sounds, I'm not sure why this time around they didn't at least do a gender reversal to offer something slightly new to the story. Because from everything I've seen and read, this is the exact same story as has been told before.
    Iíve heard Cooperís character isnít jealous at all of Gagaís characterís success. Just frustrated that he canít steer her away from mistakes he had learned from. So thatís one big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112