Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1

    Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Lots to talk about.

    Lets see if I remember right, been too much going on when it comes to number one this year.

    We started with Kerber, Serena took it after the Aussie Open, Kerber retook it after Serena's pregnancy(?), then we had Pliskova, Muguruza and now Halep.

    Did I get it right?

    Now lets talk some more...

    How long do you think Halep will be at helm?

    Guess the average of #1 leadership this year(in weeks)?

    How many ladies got there by default?

    Who is next?

    Lets talk...

  2. #2

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Halep's lead is only something like 40 points, and she's one of the few women who made the YEC that is actually defending points, so my vote is for "not long."
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

  3. #3

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Halep's lead is only something like 40 points, and she's one of the few women who made the YEC that is actually defending points, so my vote is for "not long."
    Her advantage in the race is also 40 points.
    Roger forever

  4. #4

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Only 5 of the 8 are in the finals from last year, again correct me if I am wrong.

    Pliskova held her #1 for 8 weeks, Mugu cut that in half, she held it for 4

    This is the most turbulent I have seen WTA in a long time.

  5. #5

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    We are getting to the point that semantics matter. Was "she" (whichever we are talking about) really #1 or just in the lead?
    Mugu would be legit. She has two slams to her name. The others will need to eventually get one in order to make the claim justifiable.
    Starry starry night

  6. #6

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    The top 7 are all bunched up, so the top of that heap is going to look fairly weak, historically.

    Look at it the other way. Ostapenko has a slam, a QF, and small title, and she's only #7? Wozniacki has 6 finals and is only #6? Venus has the most slam match wins of the year, including two finals and a semi, and she's only #5!!!? The ATP results in that range pale in comparison.

    Does that mean that the ATP is totally without depth? That after Fed/Nadal, anyone is the top 10 is the lucky, mutated survivor of a chemical explosion?

  7. #7

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Correspondent Kiu View Post
    Only 5 of the 8 are in the finals from last year, again correct me if I am wrong.
    It's only 3: Muguruza, Halep, Pliskova.

    For the first time in history, none of the semifinalists from last year qualified.

  8. #8

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    I imagine it's also the first time in history 6 out of the 8 could end up as year end #1.
    Roger forever

  9. #9

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I imagine it's also the first time in history 6 out of the 8 could end up as year end #1.
    It depends on if you already count the ranking points for losses.

    It's technically 7 at the moment, but if Halep goes 0-3, she still boxes out Wozniacki and Ostapenko, so there are only 5. If she wins a match, she boxes out Venus, bringing it down to 4.

    Basically, Halep and Muguruza are tied, and Pliskova and Svitolina are around 550-700 points behind. You're guaranteed 375 points for playing all matches, with an additional 1125 (totaling 1500) up for grabs for going 5-0. It's an extra 125 per RR win, 330 for winning the semi, 420 for winning the final.

    Edit: I do think that 3 is the previous record. I remember in 2006 there were 3 players with a shot, and I believe that was only the second time. That year was Henin, Sharapova, Mauresmo. I think the earlier one was 2004 with Serena, Davenport, and someone else (Myskina maybe?).
    Last edited by Charlie02123; 10-12-2017 at 02:01 PM.

  10. #10

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    It depends on if you already count the ranking points for losses.

    It's technically 7 at the moment, but if Halep goes 0-3, she still boxes out Wozniacki and Ostapenko, so there are only 5. If she wins a match, she boxes out Venus, bringing it down to 4.

    Basically, Halep and Muguruza are tied, and Pliskova and Svitolina are around 550-700 points behind. You're guaranteed 375 points for playing all matches, with an additional 1125 (totaling 1500) up for grabs for going 5-0. It's an extra 125 per RR win, 330 for winning the semi, 420 for winning the final.
    I already took that into account. By going 0-3 Halep is still ahead of Ostapenko, but not Wozniacki (-90 points). Caro needs to be undefeated with both Halep and Muguruza going 0-3 (they are guaranteed to be in opposite groups so this is possible) and for Pliskova not to reach the final undefeated.
    Roger forever

  11. #11

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    I'm looking at this "5 week forecast" list. Wozniacki's 4540+1500 is 6040. Halep's 5675+375 is 6050.
    http://live-tennis.eu/en/forecast-wta-ranking

  12. #12

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I'm looking at this "5 week forecast" list. Wozniacki's 4540+1500 is 6040. Halep's 5675+375 is 6050.
    http://live-tennis.eu/en/forecast-wta-ranking
    I looked at the same site, but went with a race ranking where Halep is at 5675 and Wozniacki at 4640. Not sure why there is a difference...
    Roger forever

  13. #13

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I looked at the same site, but went with a race ranking where Halep is at 5675 and Wozniacki at 4640. Not sure why there is a difference...
    Well that's utterly bizarre. It would make no sense for her 5 week out ranking to be LOWER than her race/year-to-date ranking. I'm guessing they just don't update each list at the same time. Typo alert.

    In any case, it's a moo point; It's a cow's opinion (Friend's reference, anyone?).

  14. #14

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    ...

    Does that mean that the ATP is totally without depth? That after Fed/Nadal, anyone is the top 10 is the lucky, mutated survivor of a chemical explosion?
    That cracked me up
    Starry starry night

  15. #15

    Re: Talk WTA #1 right here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    It's only 3: Muguruza, Halep, Pliskova.

    For the first time in history, none of the semifinalists from last year qualified.
    Thanks Charlie, my mistake.

    Is this all we talking about?

    Tell me everyone, out of the 6 ladies who took the pole position, which one is legit?
    Kerber got two slams then down the drain...legit?
    How about Pliskova with no slams and 8 weeks at #1, legit?
    Mugu with a Wimby and 4 weeks...legit?
    Simona who tried six times and failed again after...legit?
    A pregnant Serena is most legit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •