Agree Agree:  96
Likes Likes:  71
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics Seoul 2/9 - 2/25

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Why? How is that fair to clean athletes, who, presumably, overcame a culture of doping to compete cleanly? What would IOC gain from that?
    Respectability. The IOC is as corrupt an organization as FIFA and F1 (although F1 has never claimed being anything other than a for-profit organization, so they are just a business). If the IOC bans a country, no athlete should compete because, after all, they are representing the country, not themselves (I posted above that Russia will celebrate any medal from any of its competitors).
    If the athletes that are clean have a peeve, take it to your country's governing bodies, which sanctioned the doping program. Not to the IOC, which (maybe) is trying to clean its act.
    Starry starry night

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Respectability. The IOC is as corrupt an organization as FIFA and F1 (although F1 has never claimed being anything other than a for-profit organization, so they are just a business). If the IOC bans a country, no athlete should compete because, after all, they are representing the country, not themselves (I posted above that Russia will celebrate any medal from any of its competitors).
    If the athletes that are clean have a peeve, take it to your country's governing bodies, which sanctioned the doping program. Not to the IOC, which (maybe) is trying to clean its act.
    By that token, other people competing under Olympic colors like displaced people shouldn't compete either - take it to your country's governing body, sorry you're at war/had to escape just get a government that's a little more supportive!

By definition, if they're competing under the neutral flag, they're not competing for the country, it's not on them who celebrates their wins.

I understand but I think overstepping its bounds by administering patriotism wouldn't be a great look for IOC.

If you equate a country being at war or going through internal turmoil with a totalitarian regime that sponsors cheating, by all means, go ahead then.
    Starry starry night

To ban Team Russia outright from the 2018 Winter Olympics would have been the right thing to do. The IOC is not singling out one particular offender, but it is saying that Russia has a systematic doping problem - be it state sanctioned or otherwise - not a few random positive tests here and there. A complete ban would be proper punishment and incentive to clean things up. If the Russian athletes - whether they compete at Pyeongchaong or not - want to cry foul then they should speak to their doping brethren and the myriad of people administering the program.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

If you equate a country being at war or going through internal turmoil with a totalitarian regime that sponsors cheating, by all means, go ahead then.
    My point is precisely the opposite - a person is a person and all people should have equal access. Why should an accident of birth prevent a person from competing?

Because accidents of birth rule our lives. I would LOVE to compete for the USA (I am actually fantastic at Parcheesi) but my accident of birth does not allow me to.
    And I am surprised that you claim equal access to a competition that, by definition, is about exclusion. Only the best can participate. Everybody else gets to watch.
    Starry starry night

Andrew Siciliano‏Verified account
    @AndrewSiciliano

Wow.
    Sarah Huckabee Sanders, asked just now if the United States will definitely participate in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea:
    "No official decision has been made on that."
    dtitranslation‏
    @DTITranslation
    4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @AndrewSiciliano
    AHHHH ...."The question of U.S. involvement in the games has been a talking point on FOX News for the past several days" Well that explains the nonsense.....SOMEBODY PLEASE TURN OFF THEIR TV SETS!
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Graphic artists can do crazy things these days.

Talk about in your face...
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Lindsey Vonn: I won't be representing US President at Winter Olympics

St Moritz, Switzerland (CNN)A number of US athletes have spoken out against Donald Trump during his presidency -- and skier Lindsey Vonn has become the latest to have her say.

Targeting Olympic gold at February's Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, Vonn is in St. Moritz, Switzerland, where she spoke passionately about what it means to compete for the US ski team.
    "Well I hope to represent the people of the United States, not the president," Vonn told CNN's Alpine Edge.

The 33-year-old Vonn is getting ready for the final act of a long and illustrious career.
    As well as competing for a second Olympic gold medal in South Korea, she is attempting to break the record of 86 World Cup victories held by Ingemar Stenmark since 1989.
    Away from the slopes, Vonn also appears willing to put her head above the parapet and speak out about US politics.
    "I take the Olympics very seriously and what they mean and what they represent, what walking under our flag means in the opening ceremony," she added.
    "I want to represent our country well. I don't think that there are a lot of people currently in our government that do that."

This year Trump has been embroiled in a controversy with the NFL and some of the NBA's top players -- a spat with significant racial and cultural undertones -- after he blasted prominent athletes for kneeling during the national anthem and refusing to come to the White House.
    And Vonn revealed she wouldn't accept an invitation to the White House if she were to win gold at Pyeongchang.
    "Absolutely not," said Vonn. "No. But I have to win to be invited. No actually I think every US team member is invited so no I won't go.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/06/sp...use/index.html
    Roger forever

The guy has metastasized into every conversation.
    Starry starry night

The guy has metastasized into every conversation.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

10 DEC 2017
    IBU Press Release

Following the decision of the IOC to suspend the Russian NOC and create a path for a clean individual athlete to compete at the Pyoengchang 2018 Olympic Winter Games, the IBU Executive Board decided today:

• The IBU Executive Board accepts the decision of the IOC Executive Board dated 5 December 2017 and agreed to implement it in time.

• The IBU Executive Board decided to reinstate the working group and add external expertise.

• As a consequence of the substantial number of doping convictions in the recent past, the IOC verdicts against three Russian biathletes who were found guilty of an ADRV at the OWG 2014 and the substantial number of athletes still suspicious of having been part of, or profited from the Russian doping conspiracy, which caused great damage to the sport of biathlon and the reputation of the IBU, and in order to encourage the RBU to become more active in the fight against doping, to assist in the discovery of any doping manipulations in Russia and to enforce strict compliance with the applicable anti-doping rules and policies,

the IBU Executive Board herewith relegates the RBU to provisional membership (Art. 16.12 Constitution) with the limited membership rights as set out in Art. 15 of the Constitution.

The IBU Executive Board will review restitution of the RBU to full membership at a later date but not before the end of the 2017/2018 competition season, subject to the following conditions:

(a) the IOC has lifted the suspension of the ROC;

(b) no adverse analytical findings or other anti-doping rule violations (ADRVs) of Russian biathletes committed after 1 January 2017 have been reported;

(c) the RBU fully cooperates with any investigation of any alleged ADRVs in the context of, and the involvement of officials in, the alleged doping conspiracy that was described by the IP Report, Dr Rodchenkov’s affidavits and the IOC Disciplinary Commission (“Schmid Commission”) Report.

The IBU Executive Board may, at its sole discretion, decide to extend the provisional membership if it deems that the above conditions have not been met.

The IBU Executive Board is following the developments very closely and reserves the right to take further measures against the RBU or any individuals as a consequence of further results of the ongoing investigations.

http://www.biathlonworld.com/news/de...ress-release-7

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Nigerian bobsledding?

That reminds me of a funny story from university. We had someone move to Halifax from Nigeria for the program I was in. On September 1st we had our meet and greet and he couldn't believe me rocking shorts and said that that day was the coldest day of his life (it was probably around 10 degrees Celsius or maybe a little lower.) Little did he know what was to come in the upcoming months.
    There was a guest on today's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me broadcast who moaned about it being "freezing" where she had moved to (from SoCal) - 37 degrees F. The Chicago-based team was not in the least sympathetic.

An Indian guy I met while on a two month business trip there last year is starting his PhD program in Finland next spring. I'm pretty sure he's never seen snow in his life...
    Roger forever

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast