Agree Agree:  17
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Re: Davis Cup 2018 Draws, OoP & Discussion

PRESS RELEASE
    20 September 2017

Draws made for 2018 Davis Cup and Fed Cup by BNP Paribas

The draws for the 2018 Davis Cup and Fed Cup by BNP Paribas were held at the BNP Paribas offices in London on Wednesday.

In addition to draws for the 2018 Davis Cup World Group, and Fed Cup World Group and World Group II, individual draws were made for the Davis Cup Americas Zone Groups I and II, Asia/Oceania Zone Groups I and II, and Europe/Africa Zone Group I. The draw for the 2018 Davis Cup Europe/Africa Zone Group II will be held following the Europe/Africa Zone Group I play-off tie on 20-22 October.

Under new Davis Cup and Fed Cup regulations, the finalist nations in the 2017 Davis Cup and Fed Cup by BNP Paribas were all guaranteed choice of ground for their 2018 first round ties. Belgium was drawn away to Hungary in the first round of the 2018 Davis Cup World Group, but the Belgian tennis federation has until 4 October to confirm whether it wishes to host the tie. USA was drawn away to Netherlands in the first round of the 2018 Fed Cup World Group, but the USTA also has until 4 October to confirm whether it wishes to host the tie.

Belarus is at home to USA in the 2017 Fed Cup Final in Minsk on 11-12 November, while France is at home to Belgium in the 2017 Davis Cup Final in Lille on 24-26 November.

The 2017 Davis Cup and Fed Cup finalist nations were seeded No. 1 and No. 2 in the 2018 World Groups, while all the other seeds were in accordance with the latest ITF Davis Cup and Fed Cup Nations Rankings.

2018 Draws

Davis Cup World Group

First round (2-4 February)

France [s] [c] v Netherlands
    Japan [c][*] v Italy [s]
    Spain [c] v Great Britain [s]
    Australia [s] [c] v Germany
    Kazakhstan [c] v Switzerland [s]
    Croatia [s] [c][*] v Canada
    Serbia [s] [c] v USA
    [#] Hungary [c] v Belgium [s]

[#] = Belgium given choice to host tie as 2017 finalist nation (Belgian tennis federation to confirm by 4 October)

Davis Cup Americas Zone Group I

Argentina [s] BYE
    Chile [c] v Ecuador
    Barbados [c] v Colombia
    Dominican Republic [c][*] v Brazil [s]

Davis Cup Americas Zone Group II

Guatemala [c] v Venezuela [s]
    El Salvador [s] [c] v Uruguay
    Mexico [s] [c] v Puerto Rico
    Bolivia [c] v Peru [s]

Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Zone Group I

India [s] BYE
    China, P.R. [c] v New Zealand
    Pakistan [c] v Korea, Rep.
    Uzbekistan [s] BYE

Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Zone Group II

Sri Lanka [c] v Thailand [s]
    Indonesia [c] v Philippines [s]
    Hong Kong, China [s] [c] v Iran
    Lebanon [c] v Chinese Taipei [s]

Davis Cup Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Czech Republic [s] BYE
    South Africa v winner of Israel or Romania
    Portugal [s] BYE
    Ukraine [c] v Sweden
    Bosnia/Herzegovina BYE
    Slovakia [s] BYE
    Austria [c] v Belarus
    Russia [s] BYE

Second round

Slovakia [c][*] v Bosnia/Herzegovina

Key
    [s] = seeded nation
    [c] = choice of ground[*] = choice of ground decided by lot

The World Group dates for the 2018 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas are as follows:

World Group first round: 2-4 February
    World Group quarterfinals: 6-8 April
    World Group semifinals and play-offs: 14-16 September
    World Group Final: 23-25 November

The World Group dates for the 2018 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas are as follows:

World Group/World Group II first round: 10-11 February
    World Group semifinals; World Group/World Group II play-offs: 21-22 April
    World Group Final: 10-11 November

Davis Cup by BNP Paribas is the World Cup of Tennis. It is the largest annual international team competition in sport, with 134 teams entered in 2017. The competition is 117 years old having been founded in 1900. The title sponsor is BNP Paribas, the Official Bank of Davis Cup. International sponsors are Rolex (Official Timekeeper) and Adecco (Official HR Sponsor), while Head (Official Ball) is an international partner. beIN SPORTS is the Official Global Media Rights Partner. Follow all the action on www.daviscup.com, www.copadavis.com, www.twitter.com/daviscup, https://www.facebook.com/DavisCupTennis/, www.Weibo.com/daviscupofficial and https://video.daviscup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I can live with that. I like our odds if we get choice of ground.
    Croatia will host and choose the surface. I'm hoping that all the team is healthy and able to play next year. With Nestor retiring it would be nice to see the Canadian team go on a run and maybe win the Davis Cup in his final year.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Croatia will host and choose the surface. I'm hoping that all the team is healthy and able to play next year. With Nestor retiring it would be nice to see the Canadian team go on a run and maybe win the Davis Cup in his final year.
    Hopefully Milos is on board with that plan! Raonic, Shapo, Pospisil, Nestor, and Auger is sounding like a formidable lineup these days. They could go awfully far depending on which top players skip. I expect Cilic is in, but do you think Roger, Rafa, Andy or Novak will show up for a round or 2? I have no idea how those guys are being incentivized when the Olympics is 2 years away.

PRESS RELEASE
    6 October 2017

Two-day format, best-of-three-set matches to be trialled at Zone Group level in 2018 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas

A two-day format and best-of-three-set matches will be trialled in Davis Cup by BNP Paribas in 2018. The ITF Board of Directors voted to introduce the trials in all Zone Group I and II ties starting with the first round ties in February.

The board was given the authority to decide on Davis Cup and Fed Cup trials in a vote by member nations at the 2017 ITF Annual General Meeting in August.

The two-day format in Zone Groups I and II will see two singles matches played on Day 1, and the doubles match followed by the two reverse singles matches on Day 2. This will ensure that all doubles matches remain live.

Zone Group I first-round ties will be played on Friday 2 and Saturday 3 February, with Zone Group II first-round ties played on Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 February.

The two-day, best-of-three-sets trial does not apply to the World Group, which will continue to play ties over three days and best-of-five sets in 2018.

Five-Man Teams
    The Board has also approved a trial to increase the size of teams in the World Group and Zone Groups I and II from four to a maximum of five players to give nations greater flexibility in team selection.

Dead Rubber Policy
    The following changes to the dead rubber policy will also be trialled in the World Group and Zone Groups I and II in 2018:

· No fifth rubber will be played if the fourth rubber is decisive, the same as the current rule for the Davis Cup Final. (The current rule for other ties states that the fifth rubber must be played if the fourth is decisive but less than four sets.)

· If the score is 3-0, only the fourth rubber will be played, over best-of-three-sets. (The current rules states that the fourth and fifth rubbers should both be played.)

ITF President David Haggerty said: “We are as determined as ever to enhance our flagship team competitions for players, fans, host nations, broadcasters and sponsors. The nations voted to give the Board the flexibility to trial changes, and the board has acted quickly to make this happen in 2018.

“The Board felt it was appropriate to trial the two-day, best-of-three-set format at Zone Group level. Should the trial prove to be a success, we will be in a position to consider whether it should be applied for the World Group as well after 2018.”

The trials are in addition to a series of reforms approved in August that are aimed at improving the Davis Cup and Fed Cup experience for players, teams and host nations.

These include:

· The finalists in both Davis Cup and Fed Cup are given the choice of hosting their first-round tie in the following year.

· Match court availability and practice court requirements have been lowered to reduce hosting costs for national associations.

· Davis Cup pre-tie commitments for players have been reduced.

Haggerty added: “Our priority remains to attract the top players, and these trials address some of the challenges that these players face in an increasingly crowded tennis calendar. We are working to develop player-friendly formulas that give the competitions the profile and stature they deserve.”

Former Davis Cup champion and current ITF Board member Mark Woodforde said: “The ITF Board recognises the importance of taking steps to enable Davis Cup to move forward while retaining its unique elements. The competition is steeped in history and we want to ensure that the next generation of players can continue to enjoy the thrill of representing their country in front of their own fans.”

Davis Cup by BNP Paribas is the World Cup of Tennis. It is the largest annual international team competition in sport, with 134 teams entered in 2017. The competition is 117 years old having been founded in 1900. The title sponsor is BNP Paribas, the Official Bank of Davis Cup. International sponsors are Rolex (Official Timekeeper) and Adecco (Official HR Sponsor), while Head (Official Ball) is an international partner. beIN SPORTS is the Official Global Media Rights Partner. Follow all the action on www.daviscup.com, www.copadavis.com, www.twitter.com/daviscup, https://www.facebook.com/DavisCupTennis/, www.Weibo.com/daviscupofficial and https://video.daviscup.com

- ENDS -

31 October 2017

Draw made for 2018 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Europe/Africa Zone Group II

The Draw for the 2018 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Europe/Africa Zone Group II was held at the ITF offices in London on Tuesday. The seeds for the draw were based on the new ITF Davis Cup Nations Ranking of 30 October.

The draw was made following last weekend’s Europe/Africa Zone Group I relegation play-off tie, which saw Israel defeat Romania 5-0 in Ramat Hasharon. Israel will remain in Europe/Africa Zone Group I in 2018, and will be away to South Africa in the first round on 2-3 February.

A two-day format and best-of-three-set matches will be trialled in all Zone Group I and II ties in 2018, with Zone Group I ties played on Friday and Saturday, and Zone Group II ties played on Saturday and Sunday.

2018 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Europe/Africa Zone Group II

First round (3-4 February)

Romania [s] [c][*] v Luxembourg
    Morocco [c][*] v Georgia [s]
    Slovenia [s] [c] v Poland
    Zimbabwe [c] v Turkey [s]
    Egypt [c] v Norway [s]
    Denmark [s] [c] v Ireland
    Tunisia [c][*] v Finland [s]
    Lithuania [s] [c] v Estonia

Key
    [s] = Seeded nation
    [c] = Choice of ground[*] = Choice of ground decided by lot

The home nation is listed first for each tie.

- ENDS -

José Morais‏
    @ZezeAM

More
    Frank Dancevic, 33 years old, is the new Davis Cup captain for Canada. Will fill Martin Laurendeau's shoes, as Martin decided to dedicate more time to Denis Shapovalov.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    José Morais‏
    @ZezeAM

More
    Frank Dancevic, 33 years old, is the new Davis Cup captain for Canada. Will fill Martin Laurendeau's shoes, as Martin decided to dedicate more time to Denis Shapovalov.
    Interesting, I figured Laurendeau would step down this year as Davis Cup captain, I just figured that Daniel Nestor would be named as captain.

Does Tennis Canada think that Dancevic will relate to the youngsters that make up their DC squad and that Nestor is too old?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

If we have reached the state in this world that Daniel Nestor can be considered too old for a tennis coach job, please bury me. Really.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    If we have reached the state in this world that Daniel Nestor can be considered too old for a tennis coach job, please bury me. Really.
    Of course this is only my speculation.

Does Tennis Canada think that Dancevic will relate to the youngsters that make up their DC squad and that Nestor is too old?
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Of course this is only my speculation.
    I gotta think that Tennis Canada offered the position to Nestor, whose retiring in August, and that he turned it down.

Perhaps for now Daniel would like a break from ALL tennis.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Michal Samulski‏
    @MichalSamulski

More
    Davis Cup tie Australia vs Germany will be held on hardcourt at Pat Rafter Arena in Brisbane, February 2-4, 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    Perhaps for now Daniel would like a break from ALL tennis.
    With two kids under ten and a house in the Bahamas? That would be my guess.

SAM QUERREY, JOHN ISNER, RYAN HARRISON AND STEVE JOHNSON

TO FACE SERBIA IN DAVIS CUP BY BNP PARIBAS WORLD GROUP FIRST ROUND

Matches to be held at the Sportski Centar Cair in Nis, Serbia, Feb. 2-4

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., Jan. 23, 2018 – The USTA and United States Davis Cup Captain Jim Courier today announced that world No. 13 Sam Querrey, No. 16 John Isner, No. 45 Ryan Harrison and No. 48 Steve Johnson will represent the U.S. in the 2018 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group First Round against Serbia. The best-of-five match series will be played on an indoor red clay court at the Sportski Centar Cair in Nis, Serbia, Feb. 2-4.

Serbian Davis Cup Captain Nenad Zimonjic nominated world No. 75 Dusan Lajovic, No. 85 Laslo Djere, No. 176 Nikola Milojevic, No. 232 Pedja Krstin and No. 297 Miljan Zekic to his team. This is the first year Davis Cup captains may nominate five players to their teams, instead of the previous four – a prevision adopted by the ITF to allow teams greater flexibility in their team selections.

Play begins at 3 p.m. local time (9 a.m. ET) on Friday and Saturday and at 2 p.m. local time (8 a.m. ET) on Sunday. Tennis Channel will air each match live in the U.S.

Friday will include two singles matches featuring each country’s No. 1 player against the other country’s No. 2 player. Saturday’s schedule features the doubles match, and the final day of play on Sunday features the two “reverse singles” matches, when the No. 1 players square off, followed by the final match between the No. 2 players. All matches are best-of-five sets until one nation clinches the tie. Sunday will feature a revised schedule if a team clinches in the third or fourth match.

The winner of this tie advances to the World Group Quarterfinals April 6-8 vs. the winner of Belgium and Hungary.

The U.S. has faced Serbia twice before in Davis Cup, in the 2013 Quarterfinals and the 2010 First Round – both meetings won by the Serbians on the strength of two singles victories from Novak Djokovic. The 2013 tie, in Boise, Idaho, also featured a near-record-long doubles match in which Zimonjic and Ilija Bozoljac defeated Bob and Mike Bryan, 7-6(5), 7-6(1), 5-7, 4-6, 15-13.

Querrey, 30, is ranked a career-high No. 13 following a 2017 season in which he reached the Wimbledon semifinals – the first American men’s Grand Slam semifinalist since Andy Roddick (2009 Wimbledon) – the quarters of the US Open, won his ninth and 10th career ATP titles (Los Cabos, Acapulco) and recorded victories over Andy Murray (Wimbledon), Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem and David Goffin (Acapulco). Querrey is competing in his third straight tie and his 12th overall. He made his Davis Cup debut in 2008, where he faced Nadal in his first-ever Davis Cup match. Querrey holds a 7-9 record in Davis Cup singles play and is 1-0 in doubles. He also competed in the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. In addition to his singles success, Querrey holds five ATP doubles titles, including two with Isner (Memphis in 2010 and Rome in 2011) and one with Johnson (Geneva in 2016). Follow @samquerrey on Instagram.

Isner, 32, is ranked No. 16 in the current world rankings and will be competing in his 15th Davis Cup tie. He’s 13-11 in singles and 2-0 and doubles and made his Davis Cup debut in the 2010 World Group First Round in Belgrade, Serbia, where he became the first U.S. player since 2003 to compete in three live rubbers in the same tie. Isner won his 11th and 12th ATP titles in 2017 (Atlanta, Newport) and advanced to three ATP Masters 1000 semifinals. Isner’s biggest Davis Cup victory came in 2012, when he defeated Roger Federer in the U.S. team’s first-round win at Switzerland. He also represented the U.S. at the 2012 London Olympics, reaching the quarterfinals before losing to Federer. Isner turned pro after an outstanding four-year career at the University of Georgia, leading the Bulldogs to the 2007 NCAA team title as a senior. Follow @johnrisner on Instagram and @JohnIsner on Twitter.

Harrison, 25, is ranked No. 45 in the world, and is nominated to play in his third Davis Cup tie for the U.S., first since 2012. Harrison is coming off a 2017 season in which he won his first Grand Slam doubles title, at the French Open (with Michael Venus), and his first ATP singles title, in Memphis. Harrison also reached the final in Atlanta last summer, losing to Isner, and started his 2018 season with a run to the singles final in Brisbane. He played in both of his previous Davis Cup ties in 2012, going 1-2 in singles and falling to France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the Quarterfinal round, his only live rubber. Follow @ryan.harrison92 on Instagram and @ryanharrison92 on Twitter.

Johnson, 28, is ranked No. 48 in the world. He is playing in his third consecutive Davis Cup tie and fourth overall, after a 2017 that saw he and Jack Sock – the 2016 Olympic Bronze Medalists in men’s doubles – win both of their Davis Cup doubles matches, vs. Switzerland and Australia. Johnson won his second career ATP title last year, at the red-clay event in Houston, and he reached nine total ATP quarterfinals in 2017. Johnson, who peaked at No. 21 in the world in July 2016, turned pro in 2012 after an outstanding college tennis career at USC; he won the 2011 and 2012 NCAA singles championships and led the Trojans to team titles all four years he played for the school. Follow @steviej345 on Instagram and @SJohnson_89 on Twitter.

Additionally, 21-year old Deiton Baughman (@deiton_baughman), of Carson, Calif., will serve as the team’s practice partner in Nis.

Founded in 1900, Davis Cup by BNP Paribas is the World Cup of Tennis and is the largest annual international team competition in sport, with approximately 135 nations competing each year. The U.S. leads all nations with 32 Davis Cup titles. The U.S. holds a 217-71 all-time Davis Cup record and owns the longest uninterrupted run in the World Group, dating back to 1989. For more information, including access to player and historical Davis Cup records, please go to www.usta.com/daviscup or www.daviscup.com.

Keep up with Team USA using hashtag #TeamUSATennis on Facebook (@USTA), on Twitter (@USTA) and on Instagram (@USTA). Wilson is the official ball of the U.S. Davis Cup team. Deloitte is the official team sponsor of the U.S. Davis Cup Team.

# # #

The USTA is the national governing body for the sport of tennis in the U.S. and the leader in promoting and developing the growth of tennis at every level -- from local communities to the highest level of the professional game. A not-for-profit organization with more than 655,000 members, it invests 100% of its proceeds in growing the game. It owns and operates the US Open, one of the highest-attended annual sporting events in the world, and launched the US Open Series, linking seven summer WTA and ATP World Tour tournaments to the US Open. In addition, it owns approximately 90 Pro Circuit events throughout the U.S. and selects the teams for the Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Olympic and Paralympic Games. The USTA’s philanthropic entity, the USTA Foundation, provides grants and scholarships in addition to supporting tennis and education programs nationwide to benefit under-resourced youth through the National Junior Tennis & Learning (NJTL) network.For more information about the USTA, go to USTA.com or follow the official accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast