Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

USO 2017 Bracket Prediction Challenge

Start of play deadline is the start of tournament play: 11:00AM in New York on Monday the 28th. Note what time that is for you locally.

Entry Form: Deadline Start of play on day one
    ATP: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...&tournament=US
    WTA: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...&tournament=US

Picks And Score Tracking:

View ATP Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...nt=US&tour=ATP
    View WTA Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...nt=US&tour=WTA

What is it?
    This is a separate prediction contest for Slam events. Predict the full brackets for ATP and/or WTA events, and earn bonus points in later rounds for guessing or getting close to game totals for matches from the Quarterfinals on. This IS a medal awarding contest. A medal will be awarded to the overall score leader for each WTA and ATP top scorers.

How does it work?
    After the bracket is finalized and prior to the first round of play, participants select match winners for the full bracket. Additionally, participants are asked to guess how many games will be played in each of the QF, SF, and finals matches. Brackets for WTA and ATP events are separate.

Points are awarded as follows:
    Each correct bracket pick (having the correct player in that part of the draw) awards one point for each slot correctly filled for the first round. The second round results increase to 2 points each, third round 3 points each, and so on. This forms the majority of the overall prediction score.

Bonus points are awarded for how close you come to game totals in each of those matches. This is regardless of who ends up actually contesting them, so you can still earn points here even if your player picks are off.
    5 bonus points for getting the exact game count in that match
    4 for being within one game
    3 for being within 3 games
    2 for being within 5 games
    and 1 point for being within 7 games
    If a retirement takes place, the number of games played until the retirement is the 'correct' answer for that match, and a walkover is treated as playing 0 games.
    Prediction and bonus points are added together to form a final score for the event.

There will be a pick tracker so you can follow scoring as it occurs, complete with some plots of the data and breakdowns of choices in real time. Other player picks are not visible to you until after the deadline passes.

What do I need to do to participate?
    Nothing beforehand as long as you have a valid TAT account and are logged in.
    Entries will need to be made before the start of main draw play and a thread will be up in order to do that at least one day prior to the start of first round play.
    Entries may be redone as many times as you like up until the deadline (start of play the first day).

As before, any feedback is welcome.

This thread is intended for discussion and questions regarding the challenge.

Thanks, and good luck to all!
    I disapprove of this message

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: USO 2017 Bracket Prediction Challenge

Open for entries

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Bump for last minute entries

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Thanks for joining us, and good luck all!

Hopefully your picks all look better than TATRandom which has selected Beck to overcome a stiff challenge from Putintseva to claim the WTA title, while Kokkinakis negotiates the lower half and overcomes Fognini for the ATP title (Federer and Nadal both losing in round 2 upsets to Kavcic and Daniel, respectively).

Ugh! I knew I was forgetting something. Guess someone else is going to have to start off hot and then come in fifth to last.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Been fairly quiet here, but let's take a quick look at the standings:

Drop-shot has opened up a nice lead in the ATP contest at 113 points, ahead of tenedab with 109 with others lurking quite close. Drop-shot also currently holds the highest score potential of the field.

On the WTA end of things the Moz leads the way with 119 points ahead of new face Pione Sisto in second with 115. Pione Sisto notably has the lead in Max possible score, slightly higher than Moz, but is matched by skatingfan's scoring potential despite skatingfan currently sitting tied for third.
    Last edited by James7; 09-03-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

With some fairly interesting match results and QF now finished, lets take a look at the standings again:

In the ATP waylandboy-tw now leads Drop-shot by a single point and has a notably higher remaining scoring potential for remaining matches.

In the WTA Pione Sisto has kept up a commanding performance and now leads the field by a 10 point margin while also sporting the highest remaining score potential, though that is purely with Bonus points now as the projected finalists are both out.

Bonus scoring with game totals could prove a factor, so stay tuned.
    Last edited by James7; 09-07-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Some additional notes: No one got a lower half semifinalist in the ATP. Only 5 people have Nadal as a finalist remaining to score points with with Federer having been the more popular choice. The same 5 have Nadal as Eventual winner.

tolulops is the only one with Venus as a finalist to score points with on the lower WTA half, but not as eventual champion. 5 other people have Keys as a finalist with no one having options for Coco or Sloane. Of those, Pingpongger and vexchaps have tipped her as the eventual champ.
    Last edited by James7; 09-07-2017 at 09:18 AM.

This is sooo weird ... I could have sworn I picked Venus as my winner. Must be an error caused by my glitchy mouse ... sigh
    I like a lot the crazy bounce

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Congratulations to Pione Sisto for winning the WTA contest!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And congratulations to waylandboy-tw for the ATP win!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Add Like Mad Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations to wayland and Pione Sisto! Your medals have been awarded!
    Become a Kiva lender and help people lift themselves out of poverty. To find loans that are safe, secular, and mostly short in term, go to the A+ Convenience Store at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred...venience-store. Or, if you would like to support repeat borrowers with a proven track record of repayment, check out CraigsList at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred/craigslist. Happy lending!

congrats to the winners and thank you to the number crunchers
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED