Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Errani Tests Positive for Steroid

Tennis Anti-Doping Programme

PRESS RELEASE

7 August 2017

Decision in the case of Sara Errani

An Independent Tribunal appointed under Article 8.1 of the 2017 Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (the "Programme") has found that Sara Errani committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Article 2.1 of the Programme and, as a consequence, has disqualified the affected results and imposed a period of ineligibility of two months, commencing on 3 August 2017.

Ms. Errani, a 29-year-old player from Italy, provided a urine sample on 16 February 2017 as part of an Out-of-Competition test under the Programme. That sample was sent to the WADA-accredited laboratory in Montreal, Canada for analysis, and was found to contain letrozole, which is an aromatase inhibitor that is included under section S4 (Hormone and Metabolic Modulators) of the 2017 WADA Prohibited List, and therefore is also prohibited under the Programme.

On 18 April 2017, Ms. Errani was charged with an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Article 2.1 of the Programme (presence of a Prohibited Substance in a Player’s Sample). She promptly admitted that she had committed the Anti-Doping Rule Violation charged, and asked for a hearing before an Independent Tribunal in accordance with Article 8 of the Programme to determine the consequences to be imposed on her for that violation.

At a hearing on 19 July 2017, the Independent Tribunal received evidence and heard legal arguments from both parties, and subsequently issued a reasoned decision on 3 August, which is available at www.itftennis.com/antidoping. The Independent Tribunal determined that (1) Ms. Errani should serve a period of ineligibility of two months, beginning on 3 August and so ending at midnight on 2 October 2017; and (2) her results between 16 February 2017 (the date of sample collection) and 7 June 2017 (and the date of her next test, which was negative) should be disqualified, with resulting forfeiture of the ranking points and prize money that she won at events during that period.

The Tennis Anti-Doping Programme applies to all players competing at Grand Slam tournaments and events sanctioned by the ITF, ATP, and WTA. Players are tested for substances prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency and, upon a finding that an Anti-Doping Rule Violation has been committed, sanctions are imposed under the Programme in compliance with the requirements of the World Anti-Doping Code. More information on the Programme, sanctions, statistics, and related matters can be found at www.itftennis.com/antidoping.

- ENDS -

I'm wondering if she did something like gave her mom her medication, and then ate a sandwich without washing her hands.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I'm wondering if she did something like gave her mom her medication, and then ate a sandwich without washing her hands.
    If the amount found in her system is clearly much less than a single pill, that sounds pretty likely. Bad luck for her. She's already falling down the rankings, so taking away 4 months of results and banning her for another 2 will probably drop her outside the top 200.

I'm reading that the drug found in her system is used as a masking agent. I don't think I saw that in the report but I didn't read the whole thing.
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    If the amount found in her system is clearly much less than a single pill, that sounds pretty likely. Bad luck for her. She's already falling down the rankings, so taking away 4 months of results and banning her for another 2 will probably drop her outside the top 200.
    And it's not like tournament directors will be stumbling over one another to give her wildcards, either. That said, she'll come back when the season is basically over, so she could play some challengers during the off-season to try to get her ranking back up. I'm pretty sure they still have a decent number of challengers during the off-season.
    Become a Kiva lender and help people lift themselves out of poverty. To find loans that are safe, secular, and mostly short in term, go to the A+ Convenience Store at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred...venience-store. Or, if you would like to support repeat borrowers with a proven track record of repayment, check out CraigsList at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred/craigslist. Happy lending!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I'm reading that the drug found in her system is used as a masking agent. I don't think I saw that in the report but I didn't read the whole thing.
    That was noted in the first report I read on the matter. That said, subsequent reports also noted how potentially dangerous the substance is for healthy, non-menopausal women, so for me, that kind of ruled out the masking angle.
    Become a Kiva lender and help people lift themselves out of poverty. To find loans that are safe, secular, and mostly short in term, go to the A+ Convenience Store at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred...venience-store. Or, if you would like to support repeat borrowers with a proven track record of repayment, check out CraigsList at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred/craigslist. Happy lending!

That's a spicy meatball!!

(I'll see myself out...)

enrico maria riva‏Verified account @enricomariariva 3m3 minutes ago
    More
    Errani held the press conference this morning. She is consulting with her lawyers to appeal against having points and prize money revoked
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

I don't totally get it. If it's not performance enhancing, why is it banned? I guess because it is a masking agent, as someone else said, but I assume that that same urine sample was tested for other drugs, so if nothing was found, and it's not masking anything, and it's actually harmful, then it seems pretty clear that she wasn't benefitting from it. And again, I don't know very much about all this, but athletes always appeal, so there is clearly a process set up where they can enforce (or not) a suspension.

Kevin

Some fans are saying that Errani gambled by playing after the negative test thinking that because the ingestion was accidental and the level so low she'd get by with no suspension or forfeiture of money and points.

That said I think that an appeal is always made.

The Italian anti doping organization (NADO) appealed the sentence Errani received. The following is a fan translation/summation from the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera

The CAS hearing lasted nine hours
    , with Sara Errani, her father, mother, brother, and defense medical expert forensic toxicologist Donata Favretto attending in person. Several officials of NADO Italia also made the trip to Lausanne, including the chief of their anti-doping court and the chief of the Rome laboratory, underlining the significance NADO Italia puts in this case. Errani testified at length and was quite emotional, breaking into tears twice.

NADO Italia's case revolved around three arguments: First, they expressed their concern about the disparity between Errani's light sentence compared to that of other Italian and international athletes who were caught with anastrozole (a similar but more widely used substance) and got two years. Second, they said that "there were too many coincidences" in getting the cancer medication pill into the broth/tortellini; they had Errani's mother Fulvia recreate the environment of her home kitchen to show where the medicine and food was, and then argued that it would be unlikely for Fulvia to misplace a pill, that pill to enter the tortellini mix, and finally the cooked product to be eaten by Sara; they urged Sara to "tell the entire story". Third, they presented a picture of the box the pills come in which has a big DOPING sign on it...

NADO Italia didn't ask for the four-year maximum penalty so they either conceded that Errani did not dope intentionally or felt unable to prove that she did [they have the burden of proof for Errani's prohibited substance, letrozole, as it is a specified substance]. But they asked for no mitigating circumstances to be recognized, and for the full two year penalty for negligence to be given.

Errani appealed the ITF tribunal's judgment too, and the two appeals were combined in a single case. She asked for her points and money earned beyond the two month ban to be returned to her. ITF is a party to the proceedings too - they asked that CAS let the tribunal's decision stand.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

This is one of those cases where strict liability becomes really problematic. If they accept that it was purely by accident, there was really nothing she could have done to prevent it... what are we saying here? I mean, hypothetically, if you could prove that someone intentionally spiked your drink so you'd fail a drug test, would even that be enough to avoid punishment? If so, it's hard to see the difference here from Errani's perspective. Malicious or not, someone else screwed up and she gets punished.

After reading that tortellini scenario, I think she would have been better off with using my sandwich story.

So mwoods was right about the spicy meatball after all!
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    This is one of those cases where strict liability becomes really problematic. If they accept that it was purely by accident, there was really nothing she could have done to prevent it... what are we saying here? I mean, hypothetically, if you could prove that someone intentionally spiked your drink so you'd fail a drug test, would even that be enough to avoid punishment? If so, it's hard to see the difference here from Errani's perspective. Malicious or not, someone else screwed up and she gets punished.
    Not completely but that's why she only was suspended for 2 months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12