Agree Agree:  338
Likes Likes:  376
Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4772879394959697
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1455
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

I wasn't aware of the full extent of Serena's post-pregnancy health complications till reading her CNN piece today. Scary.
    I disapprove of this message

I was surprised to hear during the Qatar final that it was only Muguruza's 9th career final. Pliskova is a year-and-a-half older and has been in 19 finals. Svitolina, a year younger, 11. Garcia, same age and never ranked in the top 5, has 7. Halep, two years older has 29. Even Mladenovic, who's a few months older and has a career-high ranking of just 10, has been in 8 finals.

Muguruza has achieved and maintained a high ranking without nearly as many finals as her contemporaries. I guess that's because her points haul has come in big chunks at the Slams instead of incrementally over the year. In other words, she's streaky.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

AUSSIE OPEN FINALS DOWN FROM LAST YEAR’S HIGHS

Last Sunday’s Roger Federer–Marin Cilic Australian Open men’s final had a 0.4 rating and 554,000 viewers on ESPN, down 43% in ratings and 49% in viewership from Federer-Rafael Nadal last year (0.7, 1.1M), but flat and up 5% respectively from 2016 (Novak Djokovic–Andy Murray: 0.4, 527K).
    The previous night, the Caroline Wozniacki–Simona Halep women’s final drew a 0.3 and 450,000 — down 50% in ratings and 51% in viewership from Serena Williams–Venus Williams last year (0.6, 926K). It was the least-watched women’s final since the last non-Williams edition, Li Na–Dominika Cibulkova in 2013 (0.3, 390K).

Both finals attracted a larger audience on tape delay. Mid-morning encores drew a 0.3 (-25%) and 472,000 (-25%) on Saturday and a 0.5 (-17%) and 718,000 (-22%) on Sunday.

ESPN Nielsen ratings include streaming viewership on TV-connected devices; comparisons are to last year’s TV-only numbers.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018...owl-media-day/
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth (paraphrased)

I'd be willing to bet that Li-Cibulkova final was actually among the most watched not least.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that Li-Cibulkova final was actually among the most watched not least.
    Yeah, we're definitely only getting a small piece of the puzzle with ESPN numbers. Li Na definitely brought a lot of viewers.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Well, I assume it's only tracking US ESPN numbers.
    I disapprove of this message

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I was surprised to hear during the Qatar final that it was only Muguruza's 9th career final. Pliskova is a year-and-a-half older and has been in 19 finals. Svitolina, a year younger, 11. Garcia, same age and never ranked in the top 5, has 7. Halep, two years older has 29. Even Mladenovic, who's a few months older and has a career-high ranking of just 10, has been in 8 finals.

Muguruza has achieved and maintained a high ranking without nearly as many finals as her contemporaries. I guess that's because her points haul has come in big chunks at the Slams instead of incrementally over the year. In other words, she's streaky.
    Don't think it's a matter of being streaky. Everyone you listed besides maybe Svitolina could be categorized as being streaky at points in their career. Someone, even early on, on her team is managing her schedule in a way that doesn't remotely reflect title, point, or ranking chasing. Muguruza's schedule is more likely to mirror Serena's than Caroline's or Simona's. That's the case now, and except briefly earlier on, that has been the case for a few years. It's like they knew she'd be making deep runs in tournaments and managed her time wisely from the beginning, and maybe that is what happened.

So, she doesn't have as many titles for sure and not saying she's not streaky at times, but I wouldn't say that's why she doesn't have as many titles, it's more she's not entering nearly as many smaller tournaments as others. You will find her almost always at Premier level tournaments and only making rare appearances elsewhere.

Wow. I totally forgot that Domi made a grand slam final.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Don't think it's a matter of being streaky. Everyone you listed besides maybe Svitolina could be categorized as being streaky at points in their career. Someone, even early on, on her team is managing her schedule in a way that doesn't remotely reflect title, point, or ranking chasing. Muguruza's schedule is more likely to mirror Serena's than Caroline's or Simona's. That's the case now, and except briefly earlier on, that has been the case for a few years. It's like they knew she'd be making deep runs in tournaments and managed her time wisely from the beginning, and maybe that is what happened.

So, she doesn't have as many titles for sure and not saying she's not streaky at times, but I wouldn't say that's why she doesn't have as many titles, it's more she's not entering nearly as many smaller tournaments as others. You will find her almost always at Premier level tournaments and only making rare appearances elsewhere.
    Okay! Interesting. Hadnt noticed that she doesnt play many smaller tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Okay! Interesting. Hadnt noticed that she doesnt play many smaller tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe 4 or so years ago, she definitely played several smaller ones during the clay court season (I had her on a fantasy team - I owe one of my medals on here to her I believe). But I'm not sure she really ever added those back into her schedule, or if she did, it was the next year and not again. Honestly, the smallest tournament I remember her being in recently was that new grass tournament in Mallorca, and I think that had more to do with being a new Spanish tournament than anything else. Her schedule is very interesting for a younger player, definitely quite different than others.

Tennis statistician
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm wondering if ppl here follow Tignor's "25 best Open Era" countdown and what are the opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by mick1303 View Post
    I'm wondering if ppl here follow Tignor's "25 best Open Era" countdown and what are the opinions?
    There's a thread about it!

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...f-the-Open-Era

Caroline Wozniacki‏Verified account
    @CaroWozniacki
    Following Following @CaroWozniacki
    More
    Had fun with my superstar hubby tonight at the @warriors game!
    Hubby?
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth (paraphrased)

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Wow they make a fine couple
    Mary, queen of shots

Couple??...I'm sorry, were there 2 people in that photo? GH

Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4772879394959697