Agree Agree:  1,235
Likes Likes:  1,541
Page 286 of 288 FirstFirst ... 36186236261276282283284285286287288 LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 4312

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Might signal hope for the rest of 2020, on this last day of the first horrible half of the year.
    I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but actually the today is the last day of the first month of the second half of the year - still five months to go - so maybe that's good news that were 7/12ths of the way through the year, or bad news because the second half of the year doesn't seem to be getting any better than the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but actually the today is the last day of the first month of the second half of the year - still five months to go - so maybe that's good news that were 7/12ths of the way through the year, or bad news because the second half of the year doesn't seem to be getting any better than the first half.
    Either way, tide's turning!
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    Nice video featuring the Rooftops tennis girls and Federer

https://twitter.com/barilla/status/1...827533824?s=21
    Well that was incredibly heartwarming.

*Sigh* Fiiiiine. I'll start buying Barilla pasta. They got me.

Just to inform that my GF cried over the video.
    Since we don't have Barillia here in Colombia, I gather I will have to go out and buy me a... Rolex?
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Just to inform that my GF cried over the video.
    Since we don't have Barillia here in Colombia, I gather I will have to go out and buy me a... Rolex?
    You have to buy a cow.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    You have to buy a cow.
    Named Juliet.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Now we're ready for the semis in WTT, starting in about 2 1/2 hours.

I'm going way out on a limb and picking Philadelphia to win it all. They are the #1 seed. But, I think any of the 4 teams could win it all.

There were some really good final matches on Thursday. One shout-out I'd like to give is to the San Diego team. They were already way out of the play-off picture, with a 3-10 record coming into a match with then-2nd-ranked Chicago. The San Diego team is Lisicki, Peschke, McHale, Ryan Harrison, and O'Mara. They really worked very hard through that match, clearly not planning to lose their last match. The score was decently close going into women's doubles. Chicago led 18-15. So for women's doubles, San Diego had Peschke and McHale against the top women's doubles' team, Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Genie Bouchard. BMS and Bouchard had numerous match points. But Peschke and McHale prevailed in a 9-point tiebreaker. Then, in extended play, they had to win 2 straight games, including breaking Bouchard's serve, to take the match to a super-tiebreaker. They then won the super tie-breaker 7-5. This was an amazingly gritty performance by Peschke and McHale. The quality of that match was excellent from all 4 players. But even the matches before women's doubles were quite good.

I am really going to miss this. I've had a blast watching WTT this year. I have loved the very high quality of the doubles' play. Also, there is enough parity among the various teams that blow-outs were quite uncommon. There were many super-tiebreakers, and set tie-breakers were common.

I still haven't looked at the stats for the various players, having just finished watching Thursday's matches about 30 minutes ago. So I don't actually know who has the best stats.

But if at this point in time, I had to give MVP awards for the season, I might go with BMS for the women, with Sofia Kenin a close 2nd. Obviously Clijsters also had a great season, but she didn't play all the time. For the men, I think I'd go with Taylor Fritz, though there would be several doubles players who could make a case for themselves. I'm not sure who I would go with for 2nd MVP man, maybe Fabrice Martin. He was certainly outstanding, but maybe no better than several others.

GH

WTT - Kenin and Coco had another tight, tense set. Kenin had the break and Coco came back from love-40 and took it to a tiebreak. Kenin won, avenging her loss from 4-0 up a couple days ago. This could be a good rivalry. Contrasting styles, both super intense.

They didn't shake/tap rackets after the set. Is that the way it is in WTT, they wait until the end of the match and the teams congratulate each other?
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    WTT - Kenin and Coco had another tight, tense set. Kenin had the break and Coco came back from love-40 and took it to a tiebreak. Kenin won, avenging her loss from 4-0 up a couple days ago. This could be a good rivalry. Contrasting styles, both super intense.

They didn't shake/tap rackets after the set. Is that the way it is in WTT, they wait until the end of the match and the teams congratulate each other?
    Yes. I also think it's a part of the fast paced format of WTT.

Pretty significant upset in WTT. The 7-7 New York Empire, playing without Clijsters, beat the 12-2 Philadelphia Freedoms to make the final.

The star was Jack Sock, winning all three sets. The coach, Luke Jensen, clearly knows what he's doing. Without Clijsters, he traded to get Vandeweghe (I had no idea there were trades in WTT). She narrowly lost singles (4-5) and women's doubles (3-5) but teamed up with Sock to crush mixed (5-1).

I have no idea if Clijsters might be available for some of the final. In an interview before the semifinal, Jensen he expected her to be available for the semifinal, but she didn't play. With Vandeweghe having played so well, I'm guessing they'll only put her in for one set, or maybe as a sub.
    Last edited by Charlie02123; 08-01-2020 at 04:25 PM.

I really enjoyed the semis, though the second one was not very close.

The #3 and #4 teams beat the top 2. This is not as surprising as it might seem given the parity there was across the league. But I did expect Philly to win their semi over New York, a team that, however, really came into today's match totally fired up. Jack Sock has come a long way in his singles' play in 3 weeks. And everyone else was ready as well.

Orlando had much more trouble with Chicago. Pegula beat Stephens, but that was their only bright spot.

By the way, I have to gloat a little over the fact that I correctly picked the male and female MVP's who actually won (BMS and Fritz). However, when I was mentioning who I would put second, on the women's side I suggested that I would put Kenin second. That is still a pretty valid choice. But I think Jessica Pegula deserves some mention for MVP as well. She only lost one singles' match out of (I think) 10 that she played in the regular season and the semis. She was also a great contributor in doubles. Her team won 7 straight matches to get to the #2 spot entering the semis. All 7 of those matches were won with her playing singles. Danielle Collins was simply not missed because of how well Pegula stepped up.

I do think Pegula is one of many examples of players who came to the Greenbrier in top form. At the opposite end, I would put Sloane Stephens. She really looked bad in the early matches. While she improved over the course of the 3 weeks, she was still far less impressive than her history would have suggested she would be.

I was thinking back on Danielle Collins and this event. She looked quite good in those first few matches. Then she had that weak match when she was pulled for a substitute. She clearly was pissed about that. It was soon after that that she left inappropriately and got kicked out. I would have to say that she probably won't be seen on WTT again. She doesn't seem to be a team player at all.

My prediction for the final is that Chicago will win, but it might be close. I am basing this on the fact that they have BMS and Nakashima. The 2 of them are in great form. And the rest of the team is also good, though I do see women's singles (Sloane) as their weak spot. I will be expecting Coco (or Clijsters if she plays) to beat Sloane. But women's doubles and mixed doubles (with BMS playing both) should go to Chicago. Prior to the last few days, I would have expected Nakashima to beat Sock easily in singles, but now, I don't know. Jack seems to be in good playing form.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    By the way, I have to gloat a little over the fact that I correctly picked the male and female MVP's who actually won (BMS and Fritz).
    Actually won, meaning made it to the playoffs, but then lost? Fritz lost both of his matches today. He's certainly been playing well, though.

I would have said Jack Sock was the male MVP, and he won all 3 of his sets today (beating Fritz in two of them ).

I'm now sort of fascinated to see if any of this good form carries over. Sock is playing fantastically, but there's no way to know if that will carry over to full length matches. These sets max out around 20 minutes. I'm thrilled with how well Clijsters has played, but if this much playing gives her an ab injury, can we really be optimistic about a full tournament? I love one and despise the other (go ahead and guess), but I'm thinking both of them are in the neighborhood of "plays a thrilling 2nd round match at the US Open against a top player, either loses a heartbreaker, or wins a stunner and bows out timidly in the next round."

Charlie, Those MVP's were basically what you should see as the "regular season" MVP's. They were picked and announced before the semis began, just like I picked my picks before the semis began.

WTT also recognizes a male and female MVP of the play-offs. If New York goes on to win this, Jack Sock has it sewn up. On the other hand, if Chicago wins, it will likely be Brandon Nakashima. Likewise, in the women, BMS will also win this almost for sure if Chicago goes on to win, whereas, if New York wins, it would become murkier. BMS still might get it, even in a losing cause, or it could be Coco. Or else, Clijsters could get it if she plays and wins singles today.

Jack Sock really did look pretty wonderful yesterday. That forehand was simply lethal.

By the way, I think you are spot on about Clijsters. She got injured playing these short matches. Yes, she was brilliant in the ones she played, but it is hard seeing her survive 7 rounds of 2-out-of-3 sets against the women she will see at the majors.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Charlie, Those MVP's were basically what you should see as the "regular season" MVP's. They were picked and announced before the semis began, just like I picked my picks before the semis began.

WTT also recognizes a male and female MVP of the play-offs. If New York goes on to win this, Jack Sock has it sewn up. On the other hand, if Chicago wins, it will likely be Brandon Nakashima. Likewise, in the women, BMS will also win this almost for sure if Chicago goes on to win, whereas, if New York wins, it would become murkier. BMS still might get it, even in a losing cause, or it could be Coco. Or else, Clijsters could get it if she plays and wins singles today.

Jack Sock really did look pretty wonderful yesterday. That forehand was simply lethal.

By the way, I think you are spot on about Clijsters. She got injured playing these short matches. Yes, she was brilliant in the ones she played, but it is hard seeing her survive 7 rounds of 2-out-of-3 sets against the women she will see at the majors.

GH
    Highlights of BMS were dazzling. They were really fun.

Nakashima is apparently a juniors star. In the highlights, they said "about to be 19 Nakashima..." I am SO impressed with him. I'll be rooting for him with any WC area that he gets. He seems delightful. He's the first young guy that I'm happy to root for in years and years.

Look. These jokes about Glenn are delightful, but they need to come to an end. He should feel a part of the community, and not otherized. I am saying that as a person who gleefully started/continued it.

(I am only barely okay with hiking, but I kind of want to go hiking with Glenn)

Page 286 of 288 FirstFirst ... 36186236261276282283284285286287288 LastLast