Agree Agree:  1,063
Likes Likes:  1,364
Page 250 of 250 FirstFirst ... 150200225240246247248249250
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 3750
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Oleg S. @AnnaK_4ever

After mostly praising Pique Cup, Opelka absolutely destroys the 'pathetic' ATP Cup.

Reilly Opelka
    @ReillyOpelka
    Exactly. Meant no harm to Albot whatsoever. He deserves to be at ATP cup 100%. I was just giving examples of how flowed the system is. You have guys that are ranked much higher than me that cant play either. Ex, Rublev, and Paire
    While he may have a point...
    A) I wonder if he'd say the same thing if he's not chosen for Davis Cup because he's the 2nd or 3rd ranked American and 35th in the world, while the 77th ranked player from another country is selected to play for his country...
    and B) perhaps he should get a few more years on the tour under his belt - and in the top 20 - before he starts believing that he's entitled.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Post 1990: Haas, Berdych, Rios, Tsonga, Ferrer, Nalbandian, Anderson
    ^ I would not include Haas, as he only finished in top ten 1 year - a similar (rather long) career to Tommy Robredo.
    I also would not include Anderson.

An argument could be made for adding Tim Henman, Thomas Enqvist, and even Greg Rusedski...
    But the overall winner - by a notable margin - would be Nikolay Davydenko - finished in the top ten 5 years...

I would have to add Todd Martin to the this list.

Eurosport UK @Eurosport_UK

Rafael Nadal’s extraordinary 2019...

���� Australian Open: F
    ���� French Open: ��
    ���� Wimbledon: SF
    ���� US Open: ��
    ���� Davis Cup: ��
    �� World No.1: ��

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.Ē

― Frank Zappa

Greatest players never to win a Slam: Cedric Pioline. 2 GS finals.
    Henri Laconte. Don't forget him.
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Greatest players never to win a Slam: Cedric Pioline. 2 GS finals.
    Henri Laconte. Don't forget him.
    Pioline was a fairly consistent top 20 player who had a couple of good runs in Majors (US Open 1993 and Wimbledon 1997). He wasn't a top 10 player, though.
    Leconte had the tools, but not the dedication or discipline. With the natural talent he had - plus being a lefty -, he should have done better than he did.

The WTA article is very long, so posting the ESPN one.

Caroline Wozniacki to retire after 2020 Australian Open

Caroline Wozniacki, formerly the top-ranked player in the world, will play the 2020 Australian Open as her final tournament, she told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Friday.

Wozniacki, the 2018 Australian Open winner, also announced her decision in a post on Instagram.

Wozniacki, 29, battled injuries in 2019, playing only 35 matches. It was the first year since 2007 that the Danish star failed to win a singles title. She lost in the round of 32 in three majors and the first round of the French Open last season.

In 2018, she was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and battled autoimmune disease prior to the US Open. She had slipped to 37th in the latest world rankings after finishing 2018 in the top five for the fifth time in her career.

Wozniacki married former NBA All-Star David Lee in June. She last played in the China Open in October, losing in the semifinals to Naomi Osaka in straight sets.

Wozniacki turned professional in 2005 and has won 630 career singles matches and 30 career titles. She was the world No. 1 in 2010 and 2011. She has earned more than $35 million in career prize money.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...ustralian-open

Caro's announcement on Instagram

Iíve played professionally since I was 15 years old. In that time Iíve experienced an amazing first chapter of my life. With 30 WTA singles titles, a world #1 ranking for 71 weeks, a WTA Finals victory, 3 Olympics, including carrying the flag for my native Denmark, and winning the 2018 Australian Open Grand slam championship, Iíve accomplished everything I could ever dream of on the court.

Iíve always told myself, when the time comes, that there are things away from tennis that I want to do more, then itís time to be done. In recent months, Iíve realized that there is a lot more in life that Iíd like to accomplish off the court. Getting married to David was one of those goals and starting a family with him while continuing to travel the world and helping raise awareness about rheumatoid arthritis (project upcoming) are all passions of mine moving forward.

So with that, today I am announcing that I will be retiring from professional tennis after the Australian Open in January. This has nothing to do with my health and this isnít a goodbye, I look forward to sharing my exciting journey ahead with all of you!

Finally, I want to thank with all my heart, the fans, my friends, my sponsors, my team, especially my father as my coach, my husband, and my family for decades of support! Without all of you I could have never have done this!

Cute picture, I remember it
    Roger forever

I will miss Woz. Even though she was the poster child for pushers in tennis her play didn't bother me.

Even though she says it's not about her health rheumatoid arthritis is horrible and I'm sure she and her husband want to have children. I also wonder if some of the meds she has to take affect her.

I think she chose a good time to take a time out.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.Ē

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I will miss Woz. Even though she was the poster child for pushers in tennis her play didn't bother me.

Even though she says it's not about her health rheumatoid arthritis is horrible and I'm sure she and her husband want to have children. I also wonder if some of the meds she has to take affect her.

I think she chose a good time to take a time out.
    I didn't like her when she was No. 1, because she was a pusher, but I came around in the last few years. Really enjoyed watching her win the Australian Open, even though I also wanted Halep to win. I'm glad Caro got her Slam. Would not surprise me if she misses competition and comes back to the tour in a few years, and as you said, this is more of a break than a retirement. We'll see.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Iím annoyed sheís announced this now as I was planning to predict this in the imminent 2020 predictions thread-sheís cost me points there!
    But good luck to her, Iíve always liked her as a player and as a person and will miss her presence on the tour

Grigor.
    @Scores_WTA
    2019 #WTA STATS THREAD:

MOST MATCH WINS:

1) Barty: 56
    2) Bertens: 55
    3) Ka Pliskova: 52
    4) Bencic, Kenin: 49
    5) Halep: 43
    6) Osaka: 40
    7) Sabalenka, Svitolina: 39
    8) Andreescu: 37

MOST HARD COURT MATCH WINS:

1) Kenin: 38
    2) Barty: 37
    3) Ka Pliskova: 35
    4) Andreescu: 34
    5) Svitolina: 33
    6) Sabalenka: 32
    7) Bencic: 31
    8) Osaka: 30
    9) Bertens: 29
    10) Kvitova: 26

MOST CLAY COURT MATCH WINS:

1) Bertens: 17
    2) Vondrousova, Martic, Konta: 15
    3) Sakkari, Sevastova: 13
    4) Teichmann, Ferro: 12
    5) Barty, Puig: 11

MOST GRASS COURT MATCH WINS:

1) Halep, Riske, Ka Pliskova, Bertens: 9
    2) Barty, Strycova: 8
    3) Kerber, Konta, Bencic, Garcia: 7

MOST ACES:

1) Ka Pliskova: 488
    2) Bertens: 457
    3) Barty: 409
    4) Osaka: 363
    5) Kr Pliskova: 334
    6) Alexandrova: 318
    7) Goerges: 306
    8) Keys: 275
    9) Kvitova: 260
    10) Kuzmova: 252

MOST DOUBLE FAULTS:

1) Ostapenko: 436
    2) Sabalenka: 350
    3) Bertens: 347
    4) Bencic: 322
    5) Alexandrova: 291
    6) Kenin: 278
    7) Mladenovic: 266
    8) Yastremska: 262
    9) Vekic, Mertens: 253

― Frank Zappa

Double faults.....Ostapenko first by a margin of 86!!!! That might be seen as an important stat by people who are trying to help her.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Double faults.....Ostapenko first by a margin of 86!!!! That might be seen as an important stat by people who are trying to help her.

GH
    It's her serve, or lack of a decent one. She makes Ana Ivanovic look like a Serena level server.

― Frank Zappa

Page 250 of 250 FirstFirst ... 150200225240246247248249250