Agree Agree:  1,267
Likes Likes:  1,611
Page 298 of 298 FirstFirst ... 48198248273288294295296297298
Results 4,456 to 4,459 of 4459
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    I don't want this to come off as trying to rank good deeds or intentions. But in terms of off-court activism, leadership, mentoring etc., Evert Navs & Goog don't reach the level of BJK. As a transformational figure, she stands the tallest for me.
    ^ Agreed.
    That's why the National Tennis Center was named after her - a well deserved and long lasting honour.

Re-naming Fed Cup, as well, for her is A) redundant, B) overkill, and C) unnecessary. One could even qualify it as overly patronizing. Leave Fed Cup alone.

It's nice that Tennis Centers and Stadiums are named for great players of the past and those who've had a significant positive effect on the game - it beats the crap out of those things being named for the sponsor who pays the most money.

(And, if anything should be renamed because of possible confusion, it should be the 'FedEx Cup', not the Fed Cup - for obvious reasons.)
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Only the DAVIS Cup should be allowed to be named for a tennis player!
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Most of you know this already... but for those who don't, Naomi Osaka will not play Roland Garros this year.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/r...09/story.shtml
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Only the DAVIS Cup should be allowed to be named for a tennis player!
    No one is saying it shouldnít be named after a woman, what is being said is BJK has enough things named after her. I tend to agree with that.

Perhaps they could have found a clever way to name it after the original nine.

As to the larger point, this name change isnít going to sell any extra tickets. It will remain an event without much gravitas or respect.

And before anyone sites Laver Cup, we all know it will be renamed Fed Cup as soon as he retires.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Page 298 of 298 FirstFirst ... 48198248273288294295296297298