Agree Agree:  1,184
Likes Likes:  1,484
Page 272 of 279 FirstFirst ... 22172222247262268269270271272273274275276 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 4180
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Interview with ATP chairman Gaudenzi:
    https://www.ubitennis.net/2020/04/at...n-french-open/

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Interview with ATP chairman Gaudenzi:
    Important parts:

The ATP's goal is to have 3 Slams (Melbourne, New York and Paris) and 7 Masters 1000 in the 2020 season.

They are hoping that the summer hard court tournaments will regularly take place in North America as scheduled, but Gaudenzi says that "the US Open has plans to move the tournament in case it's not possible to play in the summer."

After the US Open, the ATP is planning a 4-week clay court swing in Europe with a Masters 1000 event before Roland Garros, then Roland Garros and finally another Masters 1000 after Roland Garros.

Both the ATP and WTA tours should then head to Asia. Gaudenzi emphasizes the fact that there's currently a strong collaboration between both tours to save the Asian swing, which "is very important to the WTA," he says.

It will not be possible to move the ATP European indoor season, therefore it will have to take place as scheduled: The venues in Vienna, Basel and London are only available on the original dates.

A bunch of other events that didn't take place in the first half of the season will be re-scheduled after the ATP Finals: There will be no off-season.

When asked about the possibility to create European, American and Asian leagues in case the travel restrictions prevented global events from happening, Gaudenzi said that it is something that ATP is considering even if it's not their preferred option.

He is proposing a schedule like this:

August 31 - September 13: US Open
    September 14 - 20: Clay Masters 1000, probably Rome
    September 20 - October 4: Roland Garros
    October 5 - 12: Clay Masters 1000, probably Madrid

I think he's smoking something really good...
    Roger forever

Call them for what they are: contingency, best case scenario plans. If the needed miracles happen, fine. If not, well, it is not as if he doesn't have time in his hands to make the plans. And then another and another.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I think they have to assign where each tournament would be in this magical wonderland scenario. That way, if a tournament is possible late in year, it's already been decided what it will be, instead of every tournament fighting for the spot.

I still haven't heard much about whether the tournaments would be willing to move forward without spectators.

I think this is kind of important so let me post a bit more of what Gaudenzi said:

Q: What happened with the French Open, and how are you going to react to what they did? Is it true that you’re threatening not to allocate any ATP points this season and the next? Are you currently in communication with the tournament’s organising committee?

A: What happened proved that tennis needs stronger regulations, so that the tournaments can co-exist, and not just scheduling-wise. Our main focus has to be our fans, the people who buy newspapers and tickets, these are the people we need to cater to. Customer centring is the future, since customers are always right. For instance, the four Slams have different rules for fifth set play; media rights, data, and TV rights are all allocated separately; the Slams and some Master 1000 events are combined tournaments, but the fact remains that the game is very fragmented. The French Open’s move is understandable: I watched Macron’s speech, and he was very direct about the direness of the situation, so his constituents panicked and the French Federation felt the urge to plant their flag in that September slot, regardless of what might happen. This in turn sparked a very open and frank conversation with the Chairmen of the other stakeholders, and we came to the conclusion that we are all part of the same story and we live in the same “building”, so there’s no room for prevarication. Nobody knows when we’ll be able to resume play, so it makes no sense to talk about August or September. It’s all hypothetical, so there’s no use in banging our heads against the wall for something that might not happen, because it might very well be that play won’t be resumed until next year.

The French Open took a few steps back, understanding the importance of dialogue [Editor’s note: while talking about this, Gaudenzi hinted that there won’t be any sanctions]. The US Open is planning to push the tournament back if the situation doesn’t improve before the summer. Our operating principle is very simple: we have to try and play as many tournaments as we can in the weeks we’ll have at our disposal, in order to preserve the rankings and the prize money, and above all in order to provide the entertainment for our spectators. I represent the ATP, but the Slams are the Slams. We have the ATP Finals in November, but my wish is that the players in London will have had the chance to prove that they are the best across three Slams and seven Master 1000 events, and that we will be able to crown the world’s best player as we usually do…

Q: The French are bent on those dates, but what’s the players’ opinion?

A: The players agreed with me. I talked to every member of the Player Council, I talked to Roger, to Rafa, to Djokovic, and they all agree that our philosophy should be to host the most prestigious events. So, even if it’s all hypothetical, it still makes sense to move the French Open to September, whereas there would be no point in pushing the US Open back by two or three weeks. If play won’t be resumed by early September, I highly doubt that it will be later in the month. Now we are talking about the season’s calendar, but you should know that we’ve come up with about 50 different versions, and we’ve had to re-shuffle them on a daily basis. We also need to consider that a few things are already set in stone: for instance, the O2 Arena is available for the ATP Finals exclusively during that week (from 15th to 22nd November), and the same goes with most indoor arenas such as Vienna or Basel. These are all multi-purpose arenas, so it wouldn’t be easy to get different dates, especially because everyone is currently trying to re-schedule their own events. We are trying to cooperate with the WTA as well, since the women’s tour has such an extended Asian swing. Ideally, we’d like to re-schedule two Masters 1000 on clay, either before or after the French Open.

Q: The current hypothesis is to have a clay swing in mid-September. Could Rome be re-converted as an indoor event?

A: We are working on the possibility of a four-weeks clay swing after the US Open. The best-case scenario would be to have the North American swing during the summer, then the clay, then Asia, and then the ATP Finals. If that were to happen, it would mean that we saved 80% of the season after cancelling the grass tournaments. With seven Masters 1000 and three Slams taking place, there wouldn’t be much room for complaints. If the US Open gets cancelled, the complexity of the situation would grow exponentially, because we should consider playing in November and December too, but at the moment we are focusing on a re-start after the Wimbledon slot.

Q: Have you thought about limiting the events to just one area, be it Europe, North America or Asia, so that the players wouldn’t have to travel too much between continents? In case the season was cancelled entirely, what would be the financial fallout?

A: Yes, we are considering different formats in the event of stringent travelling restrictions. However, tennis is a global sport, and that would be very problematic for us, more so than it would be for football, where everyone plays in the same country without travelling issues. Even if tournaments were to take place behind closed doors, we are still talking about 2,000-3,000 people moving from one place to another, and that would make it difficult to guarantee safety for everybody. Our job is to put a smile on people’s faces, we are part of the entertainment business. Sure enough, we don’t want to become a regional sport, because that would mean taking a step back, and that would also create a ranking problem, since the best players would be competing in different leagues instead of against each other. However, it is certainly an option, even if it’s not our preferred choice.

As for the financial side, there are several budgeting plans, about 20 per day! We have three main sources of income: TV/media rights, advertising, and ticketing. The latter will obviously take a big hit, and advertisers will demand lower prices too, especially if play were to be resumed behind closed doors. We can hold on for a year, and I’m quite optimistic about resuming play in autumn, and to a certain extent even during the summer. If we can sit tight and have the chance to host the Finals, that’s good, we’ll survive. Would we survive for two or three years? Definitely not! The longer it takes to solve the situation, the worst our condition becomes. As for the idea of hosting a lot of tournaments over a span of a few weeks, we are considering every option in order to help everybody.

On the matter of financial support, we’ll deal with Challengers and 250 events first, along with the players whose ranking is comprised between 250 and 500, because they’ll be the ones in need. There’s no point in providing support for the Top 50 or for the Slams.

Q: Could some 32-players draws be extended to 48? If play doesn’t resume soon, could some tournaments take place during the off-season?

A: We need a head-start of six to eight weeks before we make a decision, because we need some time on an operational level. It will depend on how many tournaments we’ll be able to re-schedule. The hypothesis of extending the draws is certainly valid, but many will find it impossible to play so many weeks in a row. An alternative might be to push back the ATP Finals, but we’d need to find another location, and that creates another problem. The players are having a long off-season already, so we’ll definitely play in November and December if necessary.

Q: In the event of a postponement of the ATP Finals, could they take place in Turin a year in advance?

“We have a deal with London. If the US Open takes place, then there should be no problems. If not, then everything’s possible, if we find someone to host us, but at the moment we don’t have an answer. Let’s not forget that there are fines to pay in order to move an event somewhere else.

Roger forever

Based on the national models released today for COVID-19 infections in Canada I don't see any way that the Rogers Cup goes ahead this year. Even if some of the lock down measures are lifted this summer I don't see international travel being among them.

From a scrub's perspective. Sad and a bit too real.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/tenni...int/index.html
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    From a scrub's perspective. Sad and a bit too real.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/tenni...int/index.html
    There was a “ tennis solidarity fund “ idea from a player’s agent but the ATP/WTA/ITF rejected it

https://twitter.com/jon_wertheim/sta...119246848?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

The LTA is putting aside £20m for Brit players, coaches and officials

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    The LTA is putting aside £20m for Brit players, coaches and officials
    The French Federation will do the same ( 35m euro)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ITF
    @ITF_Tennis
    As it stands in the Fantasy #ITFChampionOfChampions Trophy

The hunt for the ultimate ITF World Champion continues and YOU decide who wins...

https://www.itftennis.com/en/news-an...-of-champions/

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Are they going by who is the BETTER Champion, or who would beat the other player? Because if it is who wins the match up we know that not a single WTA player beats an ATP player. Right?
    Ok. It says we decide.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Wimbledon Towels and other collectibles are available.

https://shop.wimbledon.com/towels

Roland Garros towels and collectibles are too but their website is a PITA

https://store.rolandgarros.com/en/

Will 2020 towels become some kind of rare collectible? Celebrating the tournament that never occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Will 2020 towels become some kind of rare collectible? Celebrating the tournament that never occurred?

Page 272 of 279 FirstFirst ... 22172222247262268269270271272273274275276 ... LastLast