Agree Agree:  1,275
Likes Likes:  1,614
Page 298 of 298 FirstFirst ... 48198248273288294295296297298
Results 4,456 to 4,465 of 4465
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    I don't want this to come off as trying to rank good deeds or intentions. But in terms of off-court activism, leadership, mentoring etc., Evert Navs & Goog don't reach the level of BJK. As a transformational figure, she stands the tallest for me.
    ^ Agreed.
    That's why the National Tennis Center was named after her - a well deserved and long lasting honour.

Re-naming Fed Cup, as well, for her is A) redundant, B) overkill, and C) unnecessary. One could even qualify it as overly patronizing. Leave Fed Cup alone.

It's nice that Tennis Centers and Stadiums are named for great players of the past and those who've had a significant positive effect on the game - it beats the crap out of those things being named for the sponsor who pays the most money.

(And, if anything should be renamed because of possible confusion, it should be the 'FedEx Cup', not the Fed Cup - for obvious reasons.)
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Only the DAVIS Cup should be allowed to be named for a tennis player!
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Most of you know this already... but for those who don't, Naomi Osaka will not play Roland Garros this year.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/r...09/story.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Only the DAVIS Cup should be allowed to be named for a tennis player!
    No one is saying it shouldnít be named after a woman, what is being said is BJK has enough things named after her. I tend to agree with that.

Perhaps they could have found a clever way to name it after the original nine.

As to the larger point, this name change isnít going to sell any extra tickets. It will remain an event without much gravitas or respect.

And before anyone sites Laver Cup, we all know it will be renamed Fed Cup as soon as he retires.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

If they were so eager to rename the Fed Cup (so that whoever made the decision could have a 'legacy'), it should have been renamed the Wightman Cup, as the concept was her idea...

"The idea for the competition can be traced back to 1919, when Mrs Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman came up with the concept for a women's team event.
    When this was rejected, she instead presented a trophy in 1923 for an annual contest between USA and Great Britain, who were at that time the strongest tennis-playing nations. Mrs Nell Hopman, wife of the legendary Australian Davis Cup captain Harry Hopman, later took up Wightman's original idea.

In 1962, when a British resident of USA, Mary Hardwick Hare, presented a dossier proving that support for such an event was overwhelming, the ITF was persuaded to organise a team championship played over one week in a different venue each year. It had taken 40 years for Wightmanís concept of a womenís version of Davis Cup to become a reality.

The ITF, the world governing body of tennis, launched the Federation Cup in 1963 to celebrate the organisationís 50th anniversary. Open to all nations, not just USA and Great Britain, the much awaited competition became a resounding success.
    "

(The above from the Fed Cup website)

The Wightman Cup was an annual tennis competition between American and British women held until 1989. This would have been a good time to revive the name, as Mrs. Wightman's original concept was to have a global women's tennis competition.

https://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-f...hkiss-wightman

Last edited by Deuce*; 09-19-2020 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    One of the reasons they may keep picking BJK over Evert or Navratilova to name things is because she is the only one of the three with an appealing personality.

I saw men squawking about this on Twitter almost as soon as it was announced with one microagression or another of why it wasn't a good idea; most naturally posited their own, better idea.
    Look at the marketing.
    Evert is still one of the most recognizable names in the sport. She is revered in Europe and, even if some people here at the forum don't like her, they are a minority. She is well liked by most. I, for example, have no issues with her. She says some dumb things at times when broadcasting? Ok, so kill her. Who doesn't?
    Navs is, if you really pay attention to her, a brilliant person. She is very thoughtful and smart. Only thing is that, throughout her life, she has been very outspoken. For those of us old enough, and as an example, we remember when Magic Johnson disclosed he had been diagnosed with HIV. Martina made some very interesting and poignant comments (something about how this man was being offered all sympathy after admitting having slept with 1,000's of women, and how SHE would be treated had she admitted to the same, the sole difference her being gay).
    So sure, name it after BJK if you want to. I gather Miles said it best: she is well recognized, rightly so, and in many ways. The sole thing we are saying is that there are other players in the sport worthy of admiration. Heck, in a few years, I am sure some tennis courts or other related events or structures will be named after Serena, and many, many people will applaud. She will deserve that. Steffi deserves something named after her (if she wanted it) and there are plenty of other examples.

And, after Miles pointed it out: could it be that they need to vacate the name FED CUP for when, in a few years, The LAVER CUP gets renamed? Uhm...
    Last edited by ponchi101; 09-19-2020 at 08:32 AM.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

There's a difference between a trailblazer and an icon. For this, they wanted a trailblazer. It's not about how popular she is in comparison to other champions, or how many things she already has named after her. It's about being taken seriously and standing up for yourself and your gender and your sport.

She also played in the first ever Fed Cup, and has been a Fed Cup coach.

Fed Cup also only started in the 60’s, and changed its name from Federation Cup in 1995, so no grand traditions are being sullied here
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Look at the marketing.
    Evert is still one of the most recognizable names in the sport. She is revered in Europe and, even if some people here at the forum don't like her, they are a minority. She is well liked by most. I, for example, have no issues with her. She says some dumb things at times when broadcasting? Ok, so kill her. Who doesn't?
    Navs is, if you really pay attention to her, a brilliant person. She is very thoughtful and smart. Only thing is that, throughout her life, she has been very outspoken. For those of us old enough, and as an example, we remember when Magic Johnson disclosed he had been diagnosed with HIV. Martina made some very interesting and poignant comments (something about how this man was being offered all sympathy after admitting having slept with 1,000's of women, and how SHE would be treated had she admitted to the same, the sole difference her being gay).
    Well... I think the main difference would have been that Martina was a woman. If she were a heterosexual woman admitting to having sex with thousands of men, there is no way in hell that that would have been accepted as readily as Magic's having sex with thousands of women was accepted.

As well... I would be very surprised if anything significant in tennis is ever named for Navratilova. Not because she's undeserving, but rather because, with Martina being so outspoken, and in today's ridiculous (and harmful) climate of 'political correctness' above all else, everyone is terrified of what Martina might say.
    I usually agree with Martina on things (though not on everything)... but it's obvious that there is a great fear of something being named after her, and then 3 years later, Martina releasing a statement which condemns the very entity which named the whatever after her.

And, frankly, that's something that Martina should take pride in.

Anyway. case close. It has been renamed after BJK. Now let's hope it is successful.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 298 of 298 FirstFirst ... 48198248273288294295296297298