Agree Agree:  1,236
Likes Likes:  1,554
Page 290 of 290 FirstFirst ... 40190240265280286287288289290
Results 4,336 to 4,350 of 4350

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

The comm says that Agassi's father told him that the future of tennis was going to be everyone being able to swing at everything.

Becker looked to be cruising in the fifth but Agassi broke and consolidated for 3 all.

Watching Becker's service motion is wonderful. He bends his knees so deeply and his motion is so smooth.

Agassi breaks again for 4-3.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Did they really hate each other at this point, or did that come later?
    Oh.

Receipts please.

And Becker broke back for 4 all.

I keep forgetting to use past tense. Sorry.

Agassi losing it. He thought a let should be called early in the 9th game.

Looks were exchanged...

Becker goes up 5-4.

I should mention Agassi was wearing a Nike kit featuring denim shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Not quite. Becker was re-negotiating his deal with PUMA, and he always had a deal with them, specially for the racquets, which were a little bit on the odd side (the head was a very peculiar shape). But this was the way Boris/Tiriac were pressuring PUMA, by not putting the logo on the strings. Then, they gave him the largest endorsement contract at the time, and it nearly bankrupted the company, as he did not produce the sales they expected.
    Holy hairpiece, how do you know/remember this?
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    And Becker broke back for 4 all.

I keep forgetting to use past tense. Sorry.

Agassi losing it. He thought a let should be called early in the 9th game.

Looks were exchanged...

Becker goes up 5-4.
    This has to be the legendary match I heard about.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

They didn't "hate" each other, but there was a bit of dislike.
    After Agassi beat Becker for the first time, he was elated. And that was the press conference when he said (Agassi) that he was "happier than a f****t in a submarine".
    He made it very difficult to like him when he was younger, and in reality, well into his late 20's. I truly believe that Steffi helped him a lot in the maturity department.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Boris Becker wins the fifth set 6-4 over Agassi coming from being down two sets to love.

Megan I'd call that one a very good match.

I finally got to watch a bit of Venus vs Vika. Stubbs is on point here. No more head movement. New service motion. Different approach to her game.

Rennae Stubbs @rennaestubbs ANDDDD can i say that i don’t know what @Venuseswilliams
    was doing in quarantine at 40 but she literally changed half her strokes! Forehand has more spin & her serve is different & great and so does she! Oh & @serenawilliams looks amazingly fit too!! Never stop learning kids!

Oh.

Receipts please.
    After Agassi beat Becker for the first time, he was elated. And that was the press conference when he said (Agassi) that he was "happier than a f****t in a submarine".
    He made it very difficult to like him when he was younger, and in reality, well into his late 20's. I truly believe that Steffi helped him a lot in the maturity department.
    I can't find the quotes in Agassi's book right now, but there was a 'summer of revenge' or something like that, and some choice words for Boris, and Andre wasn't thrilled that his career was ended by a Becker.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Agassi's racquet head is pretty big. Boris is playing with what would be a standard sized racquet today.
    ^ As ponchi mentioned, Boris was playing with Puma through most of his career - a raquet with a uniquely shaped head which was wider at the bottom than at the top (kind of like Lendl's Kneissl frames), and at the throat, it came to almost a sharp point. The head size was probably around the 95 to 98 sq. in. range.

Agassi was probably with Donnay at that time? using what would amount to be the Pro One. He had them in pink, orange, yellow... The head size was roughly 102 sq. in. (660 sq. cm), which is the size his later Head Radicals were. I don't remember him ever playing with a smaller headed racquet as a pro. I believe he was using Prince when he began - which makes sense, given the common Bolletierri link.

^ Back in the early 90s, a chair umpire said to me "When Agassi first came on the tour, he was telling everyone about how great Jesus Christ is. After 6 months, he had completely forgotten who Jesus Christ was."

Agassi was extremely and unapologetically arrogant, phony, and superficial ("Image is everything") for the first part of his career.
    While he may have matured some with age, I always viewed his persona as a classy 'ambassador' of tennis in the final 1/3 of his career as being a phony act. I, in any case, never bought it. I never saw him as having much class at all. He was always desperately seeking attention, including late in his career and beyond. I think that, toward his last 7 years or so on the tour, he merely learned how to disguise his arrogance and phoniness - but those elements were still very much present. Only the surface changed.
    Last edited by Deuce*; Yesterday at 10:48 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Can someone explain the ruling on this point please? It's from earlier this year. I thought the rule was you don't get two chances to win the point. So Diatchenko hits the sideline, it's called out, over-ruled to in. So Sakkari challenges. She loses the challenge, but gets to replay the point?!? If she lets the over-rule stand, it's a replay of course. But she challenged, which is effectively the same as stopping play to challenge, no? I don't get it.

https://youtu.be/Y3_NFAKyTJQ?t=433
    Last edited by Woody; Today at 01:02 AM.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Can someone explain the ruling on this point please? It's from earlier this year. I thought the rule was you don't get two chances to win the point. So Diatchenko hits the sideline, it's called out, over-ruled to in. So Sakkari challenges. She loses the challenge, but gets to replay the point?!? If she lets the over-rule stand, it's a replay of course. But she challenged, which is effectively the same as stopping play to challenge, no? I don't get it.

https://youtu.be/Y3_NFAKyTJQ?t=433
    It's tricky and could probably be applied differently, but I believe when you call a challenge on a call (rather than stopping play yourself) and lose, the call stands - so the call was an overrule-replay-the-point, and that's the call that stands.

I get mmmm8's explanation. But still, that was a confusing mess. I also would not have figured out what happened. GH

About Agassi:
    yes, Becker finished career, as he lost his last match to him at the USO. But that was BENJAMIN Becker, not Boris. A weird coincidence. BORIS had retired way before Andre did.
    His racquet. He started playing with PRINCE; as Deuce says, the connection between Bolletieri and Prince was too much. But, and here Deuce and I disagree (how unusual), I believed Agassi always played with oversize rackets. He started with the Prince Graphite Pro's. It was the same racquet used by Sabatini and Chang, and they were in the 120 Sq-in range (115-120). Prince went into business making solely this size of racquets, and it was only later that they started going into Midsize.
    After Donnay took Agassi away from Prince, Agassi started playing with a bright yellow Donnay but for a while, he returned to the Prince Pro as the Donnay did not have the lateral stability of the Prince. So he painted the Prince in black, telling people it was a Donnay prototype. But, since the PRO had a torsion bar across the throat, it was easy to spot that he had simply gone back to his old racquet. This was roughly the same time in which Martina, signed with Yonex, started using Steffi's Dunlop 200MaxG, because the Yonex did not have the Dunlop's power. Martina camouflaged the Dunlop better, putting a Yonex cap in the bottom and the Yonex logo in the strings, but nobody was fooled. The racquet shape of the Dunlop was too unique.
    And. Edberg, signed to play with the Wilson Pro Staff CLASSIC, returned to the Pro Staff ORIGINAL, but had it pained in the CLASSIC color layout. Wilson could not get him to switch, as the Classic (which I played with) and the Original (which I played with for several years) were truly different racquets. Of course, the original is perhaps the most successful racquet of all times, being used by Evert, Connors, Edberg, Courier, Pierce, Sampras and Roger, to name a few.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 290 of 290 FirstFirst ... 40190240265280286287288289290