Agree Agree:  1,280
Likes Likes:  1,631
Page 299 of 299 FirstFirst ... 49199249274289295296297298299
Results 4,471 to 4,484 of 4484

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I'm wondering if he'll be considered for an Australian Open WC next year. He's a former boys champion, and they won't be doing the reciprocal WCs, so they'll have a few extra to play with. They gave him a WC into qualies this year.
    Depending on his results, he's got a shot to make it on his own. There's clearly challengers for him to enter and gain points as he has been, but there's at least 4 weeks worth of regular ATP tournaments after RG. And one of them is in Italy, so easy guess on a WC there.

For the others, it'll depend on other players if he can make it into qualifying. Is the thinking that a lot of top 50 players will try to play regularly in October heading into the Paris Masters in November?

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Depending on his results, he's got a shot to make it on his own. There's clearly challengers for him to enter and gain points as he has been, but there's at least 4 weeks worth of regular ATP tournaments after RG. And one of them is in Italy, so easy guess on a WC there.

For the others, it'll depend on other players if he can make it into qualifying. Is the thinking that a lot of top 50 players will try to play regularly in October heading into the Paris Masters in November?
    Possible in principle, but requires in my opinion an unreasonably consistent performance the rest of the year. It's more difficult to improve ranking now due to no points being lost by anyone.
    Roger forever

WTA
    @WTA

Fifty years ago, nine of the world's best tennis players put their careers on the line in the name of equality.

Their bravery changed the course of sports history.

Today, and every day, we say... Thank you #Original9

https://twitter.com/WTA/status/1308676726214533120 (video)

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    WTA
    @WTA

Fifty years ago, nine of the world's best tennis players put their careers on the line in the name of equality.

Their bravery changed the course of sports history.

Today, and every day, we say... Thank you #Original9

https://twitter.com/WTA/status/1308676726214533120 (video)
    But you're not worthy enough to have anything named after you. Just BJK is.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

You must have been that little kid that used to prod the hornets' nest with a stick, weren't you?
    You mentioned a few days ago the idea of naming it in some way to honor all players. How about the O9 Cup?
    Too late now, as I said, let's hope it is successful and that all players will join.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 09-24-2020 at 01:55 PM.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Ponchi I thought the same thing. Why couldn't it have been named the O9 cup?
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Ponchi I thought the same thing. Why couldn't it have been named the O9 cup?
    Sounds like some type of feminine product.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Now that you mention it, I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been a Diva Cup Exhibition.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Now that you mention it, I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been a Diva Cup Exhibition.

Laver Cup
    @LaverCup

London's @TheO2 to host #LaverCup 2022.

Read more: https://bit.ly/3kNkAkU

Lorenzo Musetti has won his first challenger this week. Not an easy draw either. Will rise another 42 spots in the rankings to #138.

Next week is off for him, then a challenger in Parma followed most likely by a WC in Sardinia (ATP 250). It's really lucky for him that so many tournaments in Italy right now.
    Roger forever

Do you remember, people said the same thing when the iPad was first introduced?

Anyway, if you can have the O-1 Arena you can have the O-9 Cup.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Tennis TV
    @TennisTV
    Most ATP Tour wins in 2020:

31 - Novak Djokovic
    24 - Andrey Rublev Sign of the horns
    21 - Stefanos Tsitsipas
    20 - Casper Ruud
    18 - Felix Auger-Aliassime

Courier joins defence of Andy Murray after Wilander wildcard remarks
    Wilander suggested Murray wrong to take wildcard spots
    Courier: ‘Andy has every right to take wildcards’

Kevin Mitchell
    Mon 28 Sep 2020 20.13 BSTLast modified on Mon 28 Sep 2020 22.12 BST

When Mats Wilander suggested Andy Murray was nearing the end of his career after the former world No 1 equalled the heaviest loss of his grand slam career, he cannot have imagined the row he was creating. Wilander’s old friend, Jim Courier, is the latest to defend the 33-year-old Scot and his replacement hip.

On day two of the French Open – when Rafael Nadal began the defence of his title with a routine win over the unseeded Egor Gerasimov and Britain’s Liam Broady went down in flames and expletives in four sets against the accomplished Czech Jiri Vesely – talk lingered about Murray’s future.

Wilander, who made two unsuccessful comebacks after an excellent career, said on Eurosport at the end of day one: “Is it his right to be out there doing that? Why? I did it [took late-career wildcards at the expense of young contenders] and I shouldn’t have. It was the biggest mistake I [made] in my career.”

Murray’s former training partner Daniel Vallverdú described Wilander’s remarks as “pathetic”. Then Courier, who has two French Opens to Wilander’s three and works for a rival TV network, was adamant the Swede was wrong to be nudging Murray towards the exit door after his straight-sets capitulation to Stan Wawrinka.

Courier replied on ITV: “Mats is a friend of mine and I respect his opinion greatly, [but] … Andy has every right to take wildcards if they are offered, and tournaments have every right to give them to him if they want to. It is up to Andy as to how long he wants to play.

“This is all about him having the power to decide he will end his career on his terms rather than his hip deciding. And it is a remarkable story, that the doctors have given him this chance to come back. He is never going to move the way he did – he knows that.

“He says he doesn’t want to win outside of his game style but, frankly, there are going to be matches like yesterday where, if he wants to be competitive, he is going to have to hit the ball bigger, he is going to have to play differently. But there are other matches where he can use his guile and his hands and his wonderful imagination to win as well.”

Even Murray’s uncle, Keith Erskine, a golf pro in the United States for a long time, entered the debate. He tweeted: “It’s a certain breed of people who probably fear for their jobs [bad ex‑pro commentators, poor journalists and ex-coaches] who seem to know more about the welfare and drive of past champions & are responsible for most of the controversial and stupid comments aimed at them.”

Meanwhile, Nadal’s quest for a 20th major to match Roger Federer’s record began smoothly as he carved up Gerasimov, the world No 83, in just over two hours in the last match on Chatrier, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2. The Spaniard looked much better than in his two comeback matches in Rome, and his experience and class crushed Gerasimov (whose cause was not helped when he turned his ankle). Nadal has played six times as many tie-breaks – 398 – as his opponent has played matches on Tour.

“I’m going to practise every single day with the best attitude possible,” Nadal said courtside. “It is a different Roland Garros because of the conditions, very challenging, But I’m here to try my best.”

Félix Auger-Aliassime, the 19th seed, was a shock loser on that side of the draw. The young Canadian was a shadow of the player who put Murray out of the US Open in the second round this month when he succumbed in three sets to Yoshihito Nishioka – who blew a two-set lead against Murray in the first round at Flushing Meadows, but saw off his opponent on day two here, 7-5, 6-3, 6-3.

The industrious Japanese player with the short back-lift and quick feet was too strong in all departments for Auger-Aliassime, who admitted later:” “There were too many times where I just didn’t step up and play a decent point.” Nishioka next plays the Frenchman Hugo Gaston – a wildcard who beat a wildcard, his compatriot, Maxime Janvier. Wilander will be pleased.

There was late drama on Court 14, where the gifted Corentin Moutet could not deliver for his Parisian fans against the 29-year-old Italian qualifier Lorenzo Giustino, who took six hours and five minutes (the tournament’s second longest match of all time) to win 0-6, 7-6 (7), 7-6 (3), 2-6, 18-16.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...box=1601322713

Page 299 of 299 FirstFirst ... 49199249274289295296297298299