Agree Agree:  1,300
Likes Likes:  1,651
Page 297 of 305 FirstFirst ... 47197247272287293294295296297298299300301 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,455 of 4563

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, so please move if you feel fit mods:

The Fed Cup is to be renamed the Billie Jean King Cup after the tennis great and founder of the Women's Tennis Association (WTA).

American King, 76, is one of the greatest female tennis players of all time and won 39 Grand Slam titles in singles and doubles competitions.

She is an advocate for gender equality and in 1973 won the Battle of the Sexes match against Bobby Riggs.

"It's very exciting. I'm still not sure it's true," said King.

"Then my mind always turns to what I want to accomplish - let's get going. It's really an honour and I'm very grateful."

It is the first time a major global team competition has been named after a woman.

The inaugural 12-team Billie Jean King Cup Finals will take place in Budapest, Hungary, in April.

"I remember the first Federation Cup in 1963," King added. I love history and I remember saying, 'We have to make it this year, we have to win the very first one, it's historical'. And [my team-mates] were like, 'OK, OK, already'.

"And we did win and it was really special. When I see the Fed Cup trophy today I look at the first one and I think about us. I remember how excited I was."

The Fed Cup is women's tennis' premier international team competition.

It was launched in 1963 and the United States are the most successful team in Fed Cup history having won the tournament 18 times.

King won seven Fed Cups as a player and four as the US team's captain.

"From playing the first Fed Cup as a member of the victorious US team in 1963, founding the WTA and becoming its first president, to being the first female athlete awarded the US Presidential Medal of Freedom, Billie Jean King has never stopped breaking new ground," said ITF president David Haggerty.

"Today she adds another 'first' to that list. The new name is a fitting tribute to everything she has achieved and will provide a lasting legacy that will inspire future generations of players and fans."

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

^ ^ Yes, Billie Jean is an important figure in the history of tennis. But she already has a huge Tennis Center named after her - one of the most significant tennis centers on the planet. One would think that's enough to honour her.

I don't like what's happening with tennis these days - changes to Davis Cup, changes to Fed Cup, crazy new formats of tennis being introduced seemingly every few months (new scoring systems, etc.). It's way too much change at once. It's a sign of desperation. But tennis is not in trouble, and does not need these radical changes. They are neither needed nor asked for. It is not improvement, it is just different. It's simply change for the sake of change (and people making the changes desperately trying to be noticed and wanting to leave a 'legacy').
    Last edited by Deuce*; 09-18-2020 at 03:19 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    I don't like what's happening with tennis these days - changes to Davis Cup, changes to Fed Cup, crazy new formats of tennis being introduced seemingly every few months (new scoring systems, etc.). It's way too much change at once. It's a sign of desperation. But tennis is not in trouble, and does not need these radical changes. They are neither needed nor asked for. It is not improvement, it is just different. It's simply change for the sake of change (and people making the changes desperately trying to be noticed and wanting to leave a 'legacy').
    old.jpg

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Is expressing opinion not the purpose of this message board?

Experience and observation result in the wisdom to base opinions on facts.
    It's also nice to possess an attention span of more than 7 seconds.

Experience is education.
    Inexperience and ignorance have much in common.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

While I agree that FED CUP leaves a lot to be desired as a marketing tool, I am also iffy about naming it the BJK CUP. Indeed, BJK is a very important figure in the sport, but she has the National Tennis Center named after her.
    I agree that FED CUP had to be changed. Most non-tennis people will think it is related to Federer, and some others may confuse it with golf's FEDEX CUP. So sure, change the name.
    But BJK CUP leaves too many great and worthy players out of the historic perspective. Evert and Navratilova won more than BJK and also were very important voices in the sport. Navs came out as gay early in her career, bearing the brunt of such action all by herself but paving the way for Amelie, Sam and others.
    The Laver Cup example does not apply here because that is a flagrant marketing tool.
    I really do not know which other name to use, but I generally agree with Deuce. What happens if they play this thing at the BJK NTC? Will it be the BJK CUP @ BJK NTC? I think a bit too much.

And Charlie: I took the liberty of modifying and already pasting your reply
    old.jpg
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

In my opinion you should be dead before any buildings, bridges, tournaments etc are named after you. Unless you actually own those things, then you can do whatever you want.
    Roger forever

BJK is legend. End of. The fact that her name is associated with so many things tennis is such a lovely testament to her character, to her dedication and to her fighting spirit

With that said, perhaps it's time to take her naming rights out of the mix before we get The WTA Tour Presented by Billie Jean King
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Nobody is denying that, Moz. But, so are Evert, Navs and Goolagong. If we also want to honor the women that helped promote and advance women's tennis, there are lesser known people like Rossie Casals that also busted their backs with effort.

And as you say, if we get to WTA/BJK tour, some issues may be present.

Well this is a lovely convo.

I think you're missing this is about the most successful of the Original 9. It is the 50th Anniversary and they are celebrating that now.

The official press release about the renaming was posted yesterday in the 2020 Tournament Information Section. I think it'd be good for those critical of the name change to read it.

Old women yell at clouds too.

Just think it could've been named after Margaret Court with her Slam total...
    /s
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Nobody is denying that, Moz. But, so are Evert, Navs and Goolagong. If we also want to honor the women that helped promote and advance women's tennis, there are lesser known people like Rossie Casals that also busted their backs with effort.

And as you say, if we get to WTA/BJK tour, some issues may be present.
    I don't want this to come off as trying to rank good deeds or intentions. But in terms of off-court activism, leadership, mentoring etc., Evert Navs & Goog don't reach the level of BJK. As a transformational figure, she stands the tallest for me.
    Last edited by the Moz; 09-18-2020 at 10:28 AM.

Oh, sure Moz. Nobody here is trying to diminish BJK's accomplishments. Those are factual. But the history of women's tennis is very rich in personalities. Finding a name that brings that history forward or honoring somebody else may expand that knowledge.
    That is my point, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Oh, sure Moz. Nobody here is trying to diminish BJK's accomplishments. Those are factual. But the history of women's tennis is very rich in personalities. Finding a name that brings that history forward or honoring somebody else may expand that knowledge.
    That is my point, at least.

Since a good deal of this convo reads as "Enough as Enough" I don't think "no one is trying to diminish BJK's accomplishments" will be the takeaway by most. I'll hope the last thing you said leaves a more lasting impression than the rest.

One of the reasons they may keep picking BJK over Evert or Navratilova to name things is because she is the only one of the three with an appealing personality.

I saw men squawking about this on Twitter almost as soon as it was announced with one microagression or another of why it wasn't a good idea; most naturally posited their own, better idea.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 09-18-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Page 297 of 305 FirstFirst ... 47197247272287293294295296297298299300301 ... LastLast