Agree Agree:  1,068
Likes Likes:  1,381
Page 253 of 253 FirstFirst ... 3153203228243249250251252253
Results 3,781 to 3,794 of 3794

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Woo hoo! Just paid a ridiculous amount of money on StubHub for shitty seats to see Venus at Fed Cup in a couple weeks!
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Brazilian Joao Souza banned for life for match-fixing

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Joao Olavo Soares de Souza of Brazil has been banned for life and fined $200,000 by the International Tennis Federation after being found guilty of match-fixing and corruption.

The Tennis Integrity Unit announced the sanctions Saturday following a hearing earlier this month in London. The 31-year-old Brazilian player had been provisionally suspended since March of last year.

An integrity unit investigation revealed that between 2015 and 2019, Souza was involved in match-fixing at ATP Challenger and ITF Futures tournaments in Brazil, Mexico, the United States and the Czech Republic.

Anti-corruption hearing officer Richard McLaren found Souza guilty of the charges, and of failing to report corrupt approaches, of failing to cooperate with an investigation -- including destroying evidence -- and soliciting other players not to use their best efforts.

Souza reached a career-high singles ranking of 69 in April 2015.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...e-match-fixing
    Poor Joao Sousa. He will never live this down.

Quote Originally Posted by pingponger View Post
    Poor Joao Sousa. He will never live this down.
    Multiple newspapers are already mixing them up. Twitter commenters are wondering if he'll have to take legal action.

I genuinely feel sorry for Joao Sousa. He is a pro tennis player whose native language is Portuguese and there is one letter difference that doesn't even do all that much to change how it sounds. People have tons of trouble keeping far more different scenarios separate. He is really screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Woo hoo! Just paid a ridiculous amount of money on StubHub for shitty seats to see Venus at Fed Cup in a couple weeks!
    And Venus withdraws in 3, 2, 1.

WTA Tour to allow coaching from stands in 2020 trial period

Simon Cambers

Coaching from the stands will be allowed on the WTA Tour this season.

The trial will begin at the Dubai Duty Free Championships and Hungarian Open in February and will continue at all WTA Premier and International events in 2020.

The news comes 16 months after Serena Williams was penalized for receiving "hand signals," which were not permitted, from her coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, in the US Open final against Naomi Osaka.

"The new trial will allow coaches to coach their player in the form they are currently coaching from the box without getting penalized," the WTA told ESPN.com.

"Whether it's verbal words of encouragement or few words when their player is on the same side of the court to any hand signals, such coaching as it takes place now from the box will be allowed."

The WTA said it is making the change because the existing rules are "difficult to regulate" and because it is happening widely across the sport, but it emphasized that the new rule will not mean there is any more coaching happening during matches than is already the case.

In October 2018, one month after the US Open incident, Mouratoglou said he thought coaching from the stands should be allowed because everyone was already doing it, and doing so would "help the popularity of the sport."

On-court coaching, which was introduced by the WTA Tour in 2008 and allows players to call their coaches on court for a conversation once per set, will remain in place, the WTA confirmed.

Coaching is not allowed at Grand Slam events, though the US Open allows a more open form of coaching from the stands in its qualifying events.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...0-trial-period
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Craig Gabriel
    @crosscourt1

Cannot agree with this one bit. WTA is going to allow coaching from the stands on a trial basis from next month. Never a trial it will be permanent. What next?!Can players not figure things out for themselves?On court is bad enough. Maybe get the coaches to hit the balls as well.

I'm waiting to hear what the spin will be on why coaching from the stands on the WTA is going to be allowed and why it's good. To say its already happening is not a reason or excuse. For crying out loud stop messing with the game.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Regarding the coaching from the stands being permitted now in the WTA...

These permissions to coach make the women look quite bad. First, it was allowing coaches to come on the court to speak with their player during a change-over. Now detailed coaching - from verbal to hand signals - will be permitted from where the player is seated, at all times during the match.
    Meanwhile, none of this is permitted on the ATP men's tour.
    The very loud message here is that men can figure out strategy on their own, while women cannot, and require help in that department. Not only that, but add the fact that 90% of the coaches of female players are male... and so the message that men are 'smarter' than women at tennis strategy is the overwhelming message of all of these changes to the coaching rules.

I don't believe for a minute that men can intrinsically figure out tennis strategy better than women can. But that is essentially what the WTA is saying with these coaching rules.
    And so the WTA is shooting itself in the foot.

As well, it could be said that women often talk about and demand 'equality' with the men's tour... but they also want to have advantages which are exclusive to them - like coaching. It's hypocrisy, wanting to have their cake and eat it, too.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    WTA Tour to allow coaching from stands in 2020 trial period

Coaching is not allowed at Grand Slam events, though the US Open allows a more open form of coaching from the stands in its qualifying events.
    Aussie Open too unless they pulled back from that. They've also been doing it with juniors I thought.

Give it some time and during the set changes, the coaches will be allowed to come to court and hit balls with their players.
    "You have to hit your forehand LIKE THIS!"
    Ridiculous proposition.
    Missing winter...

If they at least canceled the on-court coach visit I might at least consider it. But this is getting ridiculous.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Did the players even ask for this in the least? I'm guessing no, but who knows, I can't remember the last time I've heard anything from the WTA Players' Council

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Did the players even ask for this in the least? I'm guessing no, but who knows, I can't remember the last time I've heard anything from the WTA Players' Council
    Here are the 2020 WTA Player's Council members via wtatennis.com

Sloane Stephens - Top 20 representative
    Madison Keys - Top 20 representative
    Donna Vekic - 21-50 representative
    Aleksandra Krunic - 51-100 representative
    Gabriela Dabrowski - 21+ representative

The new player members join Johanna Konta and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Top 20 representatives) along with Kristie Ahn (101+ representative) to make up the 8-person Players’ Council.

Additionally, Alastair Garland has been elected as the Tournament Board Representative for Asia-Pacific (who will also serve on the Tournament Council) while Victor Ruiz takes over as the Asia-Pacific Tier III representative on the Tournament Council.

As far as I know none of them has said a word.

― Frank Zappa

They basically already do this; it just isn't sanctioned. It's one of the reasons I found that coaching call on Serena to be ridiculous.
    Last edited by JTContinental; Today at 11:16 AM.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Page 253 of 253 FirstFirst ... 3153203228243249250251252253