Agree Agree:  89
Likes Likes:  87
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5202627282930
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

I think it's a hard subject to speak to. There's a lot of circular causality. When you don't think people like you you act more defensive, which makes people not like you, which reinforces the loop. She was certainly dumped on for race, etc, at the beginning of her career. Undeniably so. A lot of the Indian Wells stuff shaped her early worldview. Some maturity helps break that cycle, but it exists.
    I disapprove of this message

victoria azarenka · @vika7
    17th Aug 2017 from TwitLonger

A Personal Note

My incredible fans and friends, who have supported me throughout my career deserve to know why I may not be able to compete at the U.S Open this year.

The day my son Leo was born, back in December of last year, was by far the happiest day of my life. I now have a brand new appreciation for how new mothers - and fathers – juggle the many different responsibilities for their families. However, like most working mothers, despite my unconditional love for my son, I am faced with a difficult situation which may not allow me to return to work right away.

In Belarus back in March, with my family in tow, I started working toward the goal of returning to the tennis tour and competing at a high level by July 31st. I was able to return early, playing in Mallorca mid-June followed by Wimbledon.

Shortly after Wimbledon, Leo’s father and I separated and as we work to resolve some of the legal processes, the way things stand now is that the only way I can play in the US Open this year is if I leave Leo behind in California, which I’m not willing to do.

Balancing child care and a career is not easy for any parent, but it is a challenge I am willing to face and embrace. I want to support men and women everywhere who know it is ok to be a working mother - or father. No one should ever have to decide between a child and their career, we are strong enough to do both.

I am incredibly grateful for all of the support I have received from women and men around the world who recognize the importance of supporting working moms and our right to be with our children. I look forward to hopefully having positive developments soon so that this difficult situation can be resolved and I can get back to competing. No parent should have to decide between their child or their career.

I remain optimistic that in the coming days Leo’s father and I can put aside any differences and take steps in the right direction to more effectively work as a team and agree on an arrangement for all three of us to travel and for me to compete but, more importantly to ensure that Leo has a consistent presence from both of his parents.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sq4afp
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Custody battle. What a mess.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Solution:
    "Honey, let's put all this behind. Why don't we take Leo on vacation to a nice place?"
    "Sure. Where?"
    "Minsk"
    Starry starry night

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Solution:
    "Honey, let's put all this behind. Why don't we take Leo on vacation to a nice place?"
    "Sure. Where?"
    "Minsk"
    By all accounts, Minsk is boring but quite nice

Possibly the least interesting capital in Europe, but people might be nice. Never been there...
    Roger forever

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

That's an awfully mature statement that i suspect doesn't reflect the animosity there must be over this. I'm impressed.
    Last edited by Woody; Today at 12:04 PM.

I meant: Belarus is a dictatorship. Vika is famous and popular in Minsk. On whose side do you think any judge will side with there?
    "Your honor. Can you please also lock him up for a little while?
    How long?
    Oh, I don't know, until Leo turns 18?
    DONE!!!"
    Starry starry night

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Possibly the least interesting capital in Europe, but people might be nice. Never been there...
    I've heard that about Helsinki as well. I'd still like to visit both. A friend had told me Oslo in winter is like the end of the world, but I thought it was quite nice.

Helsinki is at least on water so probably better (not been there either)... It's not really the fault of Minsk anyway. It's just that it was level to the ground during WWII and rebuilt entirely in the Soviet style.

There are few other nothing special capitals in Europe, but not very many as most of those cities are very old with plenty of cultural heritage preserved.
    Roger forever

I loved Helsinki. Gorgeous architecture, nice museums. For a four/five day vacation, it was very nice. I would go back, specially trying to do the Helsinki/Reykjavik double (I know they are not related but ... )
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I'm sure racism is a factor in perception, but Serena, particularly mid-career, was considerably less nice to the media in tough/interesting moments than most WTA players (incl. Sharapova for sure), and guess who gets to tell the public how you are? The sports media.

P.S. You were asking for evidence of Serena slinging stuff at Sharapova, Ti-Amie - Serena delivers
    Does that count as slinging something at Sharapova? Doesn't seem like it to me. I also don't think the quote in Sharapova's book about the Wimby locker room was slinging stuff either. Sounds like they are both speaking their truth.

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    If race were the only factor, people would feel the same way about Venus. This was the attitude and image that Serena fostered early in her career. Although she's still not one of my favorites, I respect what she has done and I grew to like her as a person watching her support of Caro after Caro's break-up with Rory.
    I think race combined with confidence was the issue. The difference with Venus was that she was much more quiet in the early days than Serena in her appearance and communication. Serena was so outwardly confident that the code word "uppity" could be applied.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I meant: Belarus is a dictatorship. Vika is famous and popular in Minsk. On whose side do you think any judge will side with there?
    "Your honor. Can you please also lock him up for a little while?
    How long?
    Oh, I don't know, until Leo turns 18?
    DONE!!!"
    I thought I read that the courts in Belarus has already sided with her but the US court won't abide by their ruling. What a messy situation

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5202627282930