Agree Agree:  722
Likes Likes:  876
Page 173 of 177 FirstFirst ... 73123148163169170171172173174175176177 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 2647

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

My interpretation: The wagons have been circled. No mention of his estranged wife having a restraining order against him. To me that was a red flag and should've been reported.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

That is a hilariously, self-serving answer from L. Jon. All we are asking is, report it damn it! And even now, he is not reporting on it, just burying it in the mailbag and being an apologist. A class act you are not L. Jon.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Wonder why Tennis Twitter has been quiet on the situation. Was told to let the authorities do their investigation? But if this was not an in person, the news would be discussed.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

If he beats this (why not... others have risen to power with worse) and becomes head of ATP or another org, you betcha he'll remember you "wronged" him. Solid reason for self-censorship.

But I think again, there is just nooo surprise. It'll need to go mainstream for a discussion and he's not well-known enough.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Clearly, I do not fully appreciate the level of Gimelstob's institutional power. I have pounded my brain trying to think of any other person, a former player, an active player, a coach, a commentator, anyone, who could be accused of the same things and have it go unreported.

As for Jon, it's not like anyone asked him to write a piece on toxic masculinity, sexism, patriarchy, and misogyny in tennis. Just report it. And if you are too fearful of future repercussions or retribution to report it, then Gimelstob is precisely the type of person who should not be anywhere near a track to one day head the ATP.
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Good thread. I agree with Mayotte 100%. What is everyone afraid of?

Amy Fetherolf
    ‏@AmyFetherolf

More Amy Fetherolf Retweeted SI Tennis
    Another terrible take on Gimelstob from another one of his friends

he literally suggests that Gimelstob deserves slack for the fact that his father recently died. Bc having a family member die definitely makes it okay to hit your nemesis 50x in front of their wife and 2 year old child

Of course, Justin's friends have been fine with his virulent homophobia and misogyny for years, so I guess it comes as no surprise that they're defending him now

Alex Bancila
    ‏@TheAlexBancila

More Alex Bancila Retweeted Amy Fetherolf
    I give @jon_wertheim credit for addressing the issue when (most) others are clearly afraid to go anywhere near it. Regardless of Gimelstob’s legendary douchebaggery, this is a objective (albeit prudent) take. Far from a terrible one.
    Scoop Malinowski
    ‏@scoopmalinowski

Replying to @AmyFetherolf
    Did you see Mike C's revelation that he saw Gimel berate and bully a 70 yr old ballboy to cry? The worst thing he ever saw on a tennis court. Inexcusable behavior.
    Amy Fetherolf
    ‏@AmyFetherolf

Just found it because you mentioned it. Rotten human.

Tim Mayotte
    ‏@TimMayotte

I keep hearing that people/press are afraid to speak out about
    the Justin Gimelstob situation. I am not saying anything about his
    being guilty or not, but are people actually afraid to discuss it?
    What am I missing?
    Alex Bancila
    ‏@TheAlexBancila

More Alex Bancila Retweeted Tim Mayotte
    JG is one of the 3 ATP board representatives elected by the Player Council (PC) Has close ties with a lot of big hitters, including current PC president N. Djokovic. Many thought he’d be next in line to become ATP’s CEO.

So yes. Not many are looking to be trailblazers on this.
    Tim Mayotte
    ‏@TimMayotte

More Tim Mayotte Retweeted Alex Bancila
    I know all that as I was both President of Player Council and sat on the Board for 6 years. I understand the game as I played it. It is still shocking that people would actually be afraid of him.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Maybe it's because I'm not an American and have no access to Tennis Channel, I can't say that I'm at all interested in the Gimelstob story. It will play out and the information about the alleged assault will come out as the legal proceeding moves forward. As for Sports Illustrated not reporting the story, Sports Illustrated doesn't cover tennis anymore. If you look at the tennis page on si.com the news articles are all reposted AP articles, and the most recent John Wertheim piece is a tennis nomination for SI athlete of the year, which is an ongoing series that some one in each sport posts. Aside from that there's the mailbag, and articles from the US Open, which is the last time SI had anyone writing about tennis.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Honestly, the fact that so many are friends with Gimelslob despite his obvious douchebaggery (small example - I once watched him and his giant frame obliviously stand in a very busy, narrow doorway for 5+ minutes without budging and people would just have to maneuver around him). and a strong history of volatility and grave misogyny is all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    That is a hilariously, self-serving answer from L. Jon. All we are asking is, report it damn it! And even now, he is not reporting on it, just burying it in the mailbag and being an apologist. A class act you are not L. Jon.
    Ever practice journalism? He is a class act. He has extremely high integrity. He is not a daily-news reporter, so I'm not sure he was duty-bound to be on the front lines of this. He addressed it at his first reasonable opportunity, and all things considered, I think he did his job.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It's still disappointing. He does acknowledge the (correct) perception it propagates, but acknowledging it does not erase the bad feeling there.

We've been through this sort defense script before very recently in a very visible political arena.
    I disapprove of this message

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Ever practice journalism? He is a class act. He has extremely high integrity. He is not a daily-news reporter, so I'm not sure he was duty-bound to be on the front lines of this. He addressed it at his first reasonable opportunity, and all things considered, I think he did his job.
    Are there any daily-news tennis reporters during the off-season? I think that part of the problem is there are no daily-news tennis reporters during the off-season, and most of the other tennis reporters have gone into "not my problem" mode. Jon Wertheim gave the first mention that I have seen that JG is on leave from the Tennis Channel, or that the ATP is considering the problem.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Christopher Clarey covers tennis for the NY Times on a semi pernanent basis. He's been silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Christopher Clarey covers tennis for the NY Times on a semi pernanent basis. He's been silent.
    Too many people are silent on this especially Tennis social sites ( ie Twitter). Remember 2009 USO where that was front and center. Gimelstob situation is way worse than that.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Too many people are silent on this especially Tennis social sites ( ie Twitter). Remember 2009 USO where that was front and center. Gimelstob situation is way worse than that.
    No one has answered Tim Mayotte's question: what is everyone so afraid of?

Here's a response:

Stephanie Myles
    ‏@OpenCourt

Tennis has plenty of issues and challenges these days. There's rarely been a more watershed and important moment to make the right calls on so many levels going forward.
    What it doesn't have is ... a "Justin Gimelstob problem".
    Let's focus.

Page 173 of 177 FirstFirst ... 73123148163169170171172173174175176177 LastLast